U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:22 AM

2,019 posts, read 1,205,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
1. I know you moved from CM, do you prefer the climate in BKK or CM more?
2. Who do you hang out with?
3. Did you consider cities outside of Thai?
4. Based on that apartment, doesn't seem expensive....what is the cost differential between BKK & CM?
it is a bit more like Miami in BKK...kind of steamy at times...I seem to be cleaning my glasses a lot. Winter will not be as cold as CM....I am getting by with a 3500 watt water heater here, and you need 4500 in CM, unless it is coming off a rooftop tank, which will fluctuate.

I met a few Americans working as teachers. We are more likely to do beers at the Pier than bar hop....legal, cheap, and 15 cents to use the restroom. Crispy noodles and pork for a buck, and they have tables, and you can byob if you choose.

I was in negotiations to buy a house in Arizona, looking in Nevada (not vegas), Wyoming, the Shenandoah Valley,and Pittsburgh. Was o oh a few thousand apart in AZ....agent incompetence was driving me nuts, but there are some great ones...oh, El Paso....Foreign countries? Had a good laugh at Bulgaria, not serious, Hermosillo, Mexico...weak peso, and even been looking at the Remax, India site...considered Udon THANI, but the condos are all newer and 1.4+.....and it can be like watching paint dry up there...

There are just so many more units in BKK, and it is easier to find a deal...prime land is approaching 100 million USD per acre, so there is no limit to what you could spend...kind of like Hong Kong, except a good lower end market, here. My building is somewhat better here, for the same money and I have a pool, but before I was across the street from CMU, and that boosted value, but was of limited use to me, but certainly some benefits to living by the Uni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well-done!

Just thinking of myself potentially trying to buy a condo in BKK someday myself. If you wanted to, could you rent it out? What would you be looking at to do that? Who would be the market for that? How much would you charge them for daily or monthly? How much vacancy would you be looking at, if you were to try to do something like that?
You really have to do 30 day minimum if you want to airbnb...without a hotel license. Rents are rising, but still very low...there are compelling reasons to rent...but in the big picture, renters get screwed. Rent would be 5000 per month, and just not worth dealing with for me....carrying costs are relatively low...as stated, so for me I can have my own high quality appliances including aircon...my own bed, and a place to keep my stuff, for a lot less than moving costs...even if I left for a year, I wouldn't rent it out...

So, by buying , instead of renting, I am getting about 5% tax free return, which is decent, but I wouldn't do it with a 6% mortgage, but many Thais are buying just to get in on the property ladder...

Oh...Tiger Beer is 600 THB for 12 620ml bottles....and it is brewed in metro Bangkok....as well as the Heineken.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 57,629 times
Sweet deal..there is major train and BTS stations at Bang Sue - good job

Old 09-09-2018, 11:08 AM

957 posts, read 1,549,902 times
Just wondering, why is Thailand so popular compared to e.g. Malaysia and Vietnam? (I've never traveled to South East Asia before)

Old 09-09-2018, 11:55 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,211,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Just wondering, why is Thailand so popular compared to e.g. Malaysia and Vietnam? (I've never traveled to South East Asia before)
They are all popular....but Thailand is probably more popular because Malaysia is Muslim, and Vietnam charges everyone for their tourist visa.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:10 PM

6,320 posts, read 6,989,633 times
Hal, thanks for all the info! That's sounds amazing. I would probably personally opt for something similar all tricked out with modern amenities if I could get it for under 100k. Of course I'd expect monthly fees to be much higher. Is yours a 1 bed or studio layout?

A little confused about your comment about a 5% tax free return...did you mean that's what you are saving by buying instead of renting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I've never been to Vietnam, but for me I think I prefer Bangkok because it is offers the most seamless walkability + public transport. KL is quickly catching up though, but I'd still go with BKK. Like Tiger said they are all actually quite popular.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hal, thanks for all the info! That's sounds amazing. I would probably personally opt for something similar all tricked out with modern amenities if I could get it for under 100k. Of course I'd expect monthly fees to be much higher. Is yours a 1 bed or studio layout?

A little confused about your comment about a 5% tax free return...did you mean that's what you are saving by buying instead of renting?

I've never been to Vietnam, but for me I think I prefer Bangkok because it is offers the most seamless walkability + public transport. KL is quickly catching up though, but I'd still go with BKK. Like Tiger said they are all actually quite popular.
yes, for my 21,000 invested, I am saving 100 bucks per month. across the bridge, New houses on a tenth of an acre are selling for 250,000 USD. 3-4 bedroom, 3 bath..2 levels. Mine is a studio, about 325 square feet...would be a large hotel room in this era....about double the size of my last room at Hampton Inn.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They are all popular....but Thailand is probably more popular because Malaysia is Muslim, and Vietnam charges everyone for their tourist visa.
Vietnam offers better long stay visa options for those under 50, without financial requirements. Malaysia has a good plan for retirees, but it is heavy on the financial side. A&W Root beer is not allowed to have the word beer on its menu, in Malaysia.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Vietnam offers better long stay visa options for those under 50, without financial requirements. Malaysia has a good plan for retirees, but it is heavy on the financial side. A&W Root beer is not allowed to have the word beer on its menu, in Malaysia.
Funny! About the 'Root Beer' for A&W!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I've never been to Vietnam, but for me I think I prefer Bangkok because it is offers the most seamless walkability + public transport. KL is quickly catching up though, but I'd still go with BKK.
True about Saigon/HCMC! I was just there a few months back. They are building for some public transportation, but it is way way behind Bangkok! Among the Digital Nomed crowds, both Saigon and KL are strongly on their radars. Some of them believe that the infrastructure of Vietnam will eventually catch up to BKK, as Vietnamese are such hard-workers and so gung-ho about building right now. But it's still aways off.

All of them are interesting countries though, worthy of their own followers. I like BKK the best of the three...it just has so much of everything already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia