Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

I am planning on visiting Hong Kong this upcoming new year (chinese new year) .... i admire how a mega city can be so integrated with nature, i am curious where i can find some good trails with cool views of the city.

one part of Hong Kong i am curious about is the North District, it seems to me to be mainly farmland however i am curious if there are good spots where one could find a beautiful backdrop of the Shenzhen skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 PM

510 posts, read 609,985 times
The Sai Kung Rock pools (西貢雙鹿石澗) are nice, good views and you can swim to cool off (it it's a hot day)

http://www.laughtraveleat.com/asia/h...ols-and-falls/

Ma Lau Shan (馬騮山) is cool to see wild monkeys.

Dragon's Back near Shek O (石澳) is cool too. Great views.

There is actually quite a lot of good hiking in HK, I'm just bad at remembering the trail/place names. If you are in to more strenuous stuff, their is good rock climbing too :-)

Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Lion Rock can be a bit of a challenging climb if you go up the trail with signs forbidding entry and warning of death!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
The Sai Kung Rock pools (西貢雙鹿石澗) are nice, good views and you can swim to cool off (it it's a hot day)

http://www.laughtraveleat.com/asia/h...ols-and-falls/
Yes! And the climb / hike over to the other beaches is nice, too!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Maclehose Trail is the longest trail in the New Territories. It starts in Tuen Mun and goes all the way to Tai Po or even beyond. You get to pass by Tai Mo Shan, the highest peak in all of Hong Kong. On a clear day you should be able to see the Shenzhen skyline but with all the air pollution in HK nowadays, clear days are few and far in between.

There's a small country park directly south of Yuen Long that I had once been to that also offers views of Shenzhen but I forgot the name of the park. It's a small hike to the top but there are some nice trails and you do get to see some of HK's remaining countryside, the feeling for which will make you wonder if you actually left HK!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
The best hiking trail in Hong Kong is the southern part of Hong Kong island which is relatively least developed. Dragon's Back is chosen by Time Magazine as "Asia's best urban hike". It takes 2 and half hours to complete.

South of Yuen Long where it is close to Shenzhen, there is the Lam Sang Wei wetland where nature is best preserved. But recently there have been two suspicious fire which destroyed most of the vegetation.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
thanks guys im taking notes of these spots, im glad i came here for help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia