U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:50 PM

1,348 posts, read 544,581 times

Advertisements

Either advise him to buy a headphone or get a lawyer to write him a letter.

Usually for immigrants, they will try to avoid dealing with lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 03:13 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,267,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

Great suggestion! But, what would potential charges be based on?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:02 PM

1,348 posts, read 544,581 times
Nuisance. You can also write it yourself. There are many sample letters online.

But IMO a letter written by lawyer will be more powerful. Shouldn't cost you much.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:42 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
Quote:

Headphones won't help the neighbor. It would just mute the sound a bit. He's banging on drums.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
call fox news on him or some trump supporters

Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Nuisance. You can also write it yourself. There are many sample letters online.

But IMO a letter written by lawyer will be more powerful. Shouldn't cost you much.

Tried to Rep you again but CD won't allow it.

Yes. I googled around after I responded and you are correct. It is possible to sue due to nuisance or disturbing the peace. This totally contradicts what I was told by local law enforcement whom I spoke with the day of the incident. I asked the officer if the court would intervene so as to avoid escalation. The officer said courts didn't normally get involved until after repeat police callouts.

Thank you.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:32 PM

Update:

1. Local Police is aware of our ongoing disagreement since last week

2. Neighbor was served a Cease and Desist letter from my attorney today, Tuesday 10-16-18

3. As expected, he tried speaking to my wife during my absence today. She felt threatened and called police

4. Police spoke to him. He told them he would not stop playing while in the privacy of his home

5. I expect to see him in Court in the near future

Old 10-17-2018, 11:32 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Greetings! I have a question for those with specific understanding of South Korean culture.

My immediate next door neighbor is originally from South Korea. He (~ age 64) and his 84 year old mother have lived in their house much before I moved in 5 years ago. He's retired. Just over 2 years ago we had a misunderstanding which forced me to call the police. Because he is retired, he began staying up late at night watching action movies after he purchased a surround sound system. He'd watch movies with the system full blast. I work and get up at 4am. After many nights of this I spoke to him. He stopped for 2 weeks but went right back watching movies as before. I spoke to him a second time and informed him I'd call the police if he continued. Sure enough, I ended up calling the police. We became cordial with each other after that incident and haven't had a problem since . . . that is, until today.

He recently purchased several percussion instruments which he plays from 8am until 8 pm. I can no longer open my windows or have peace because of his drumming. I came home sick from work today. He was banging on his drums. I went over, rang the doorbell and asked if he would not play today because I needed rest due to my illness. He said ok and slammed the door shut. My neighbor had an indignant look on his face, almost as if he could not believe I had rang his doorbell.

Did I do something culturally insensitive? Did I violate some cultural norm by ringing his doorbell and making a reasonable request? Oh, when I returned home, he banged his drums very loud for about 5 seconds and has not played since.
I don't think you have any right to tell someone what to do in their own home ...

Old 10-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't think you have any right to tell someone what to do in their own home ...
I do not have the right to tell someone what they can do in their home, but local Noise Ordinance 15-85 definitely does! It states that residents have a right to the enjoyment of peace and quiet in their own homes. When someone violates that right, they have breeched local Noise Ordinance 15-85. This incident is a textbook example of such violation.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:12 PM

298 posts, read 188,149 times
do you live in America? if so, why are you asking this question in the Asia forum? you would get better answers in a local forum where people are familiar with local laws and tenants’ rights. I would start with your lease and talk to your landlord too. then read the city’s code. noise violations might be tough to enforce on a municipal level and the penalties are usually pretty light. violations usually specify time of day the events are occurring and the decibels and frequency of the noise being created. as for your question about culture, I don’t think there’s any culture where it’s normal to disturb your neighbors but there are bored and insensitive people everywhere who are loud and annoying neighbors. anyway, I reiterate, ask in your state and city forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or