U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,263,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Which would be the easiest to just spend a day in the city for a stopover? Tokyo, Korea or Istanbul?

Tokyo is best if you connect through Handea, Narita is too far outside the city. Osaka also works and is nice if that route is viable on price. You need no car or taxis in Japan just use public transport.

I have never gone into Seoul from the airport so can't comment on leaving the airport.

Istanbul is a fantastic city and very interesting but Turkish Airlines is not particular reliable/timely.

Qatar is a great airline and Doha a great Airport but the city is a nightmare. Dubai is also a good place to spend the night if you have time.

My criteria is always #1 Price and #2 Airline Miles.

BTW I have been on a plane for 17 hours before and let me tell you those last 3-4 hours (for me) are pure hell (even in Business class) - although that might just be my issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:22 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Quote:
The problem with stopping for more than a day is it would start it really extend the length (and cost) of the trip. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the all the hassle for a week in Singapore.
That's true. So if you work full time with limited time off, go during thanksgiving. Leave the day before thanksgiving (take the evening flight so you can sleep on the plane) and take that whole week after thanksgiving off so you have 1.5 weeks total. Southeast Asia will be hot and humid no matter when you go, but prices will be cheaper in November. There will be a bit more scattered rain in November, but it comes and goes pretty quickly so it's not a bother.

I personally will be bored to death spending 1 week in Singapore. Once you've visited the place a time or two, and the novelty of the hawker centers wears off, it becomes boring as there's nothing else to do there. So perhaps you need to revise your destinations to a stopover country and SIN (instead of SIN and Kuala Lumpur).

Old 10-10-2018, 09:27 AM

12,284 posts, read 18,401,528 times
I flew to India once over the pacific (usually it's over the Atlantic) - Singapore WAS my stopover.

If you really need a stopover the typical flight change stops from the US are Tokyo or Seoul.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:29 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Quote:
Your Istanbul stopover sounds like a great idea. What do you mean by the 33 hours vs the 9 hour layover?
My Istanbul suggestion . I think Paco is saying it's 33 hrs if you add a full day into your itinerary (i.e. stopover). Otherwise, the normal layover is 9 hours.

Quote:
Which would be the easiest to just spend a day in the city for a stopover? Tokyo, Korea or Istanbul?
I think both Tokyo airports and Seoul-Incheon all offer various length city tours for those with long layovers. You can also leave luggage in a luggage hold and take your own quick jaunt using their airport express services. I've done this in both cities and found it pretty worthwhile (both times were a full 23 hours though) Not sure about Istanbul and 9 hours isnt ideal imo, unless they offer those tours straight from the airport.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:25 PM

1,356 posts, read 546,239 times
Just kayak for you. The cheapest option will be via Korean Air from JFK to SIN with stopover in Seoul. Assuming you travel in late June weekday, one way fare will be only US$453 (round trip will be cheaper depending on return date).

You leave JFK @12:50 am and arrive ICN @4:10 am. At such early hour, it probably takes you less than an hour to get out of Immigration and pick up your luggage. Then board the earliest Airport Express Train @5:20 am to Seoul Station.

You will arrive Seoul Station at about 6 am. But nothing is open at that time (most shops in Seoul don't open until 10 am or later). Go try Jjimjilbang (Korean sauna) at Siloam which is only 5 minutes walk away. It is open 24 hours. You can eat, sauna, steam, treadmill, and even sleep there. Very inexpensive. You can have someone massage you and you never know you have that much dead skin afterward.

By about noon time, you should have rest enough. There are two options: You can choose Either the 2:45 pm or 6:40 pm connecting flight to Singapore.

If you choose the former, time to head back to airport. ICN is notorious for long queue. If you choose the latter (but the flight won't reach SIN until 11:50 pm), go to Myeongdong which is only 3 stations away by subway. It is like Time Square with lots of shopping and eating (but it is more bustling in the evening). If you still have time left, go back to Seoul Station and shop at the Lotte Supermarket. It is like its Japanese counterpart where there is a lot of free food.

The airport express train departs every half hour. You show your boarding pass and get a discount if you fly KAL or Asiana. Since your connecting flight duration is less than 24 hours, you don't need to pick up your checked luggage. It should be checked all the way to SIN.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 PM

One week stay in Singapore is too long. Three days are more appropriate. Spend the rest by boarding a cruise to Penang and Phuket and return to Singapore. Or board a cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong with visit to Da Nang.

The open jaw airfare saves you a few bucks too.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Those are all really good suggestions by Ian. I would agree that the appropriate length for Singapore is 3 days. Perhaps 4-5 if you want to relax and go slow or need recovery time after traveling. Which means you could either tack on another city for 3 days or make more use of a stopover en route. For an extra destination, Penang and Bangkok are good options. Kuala Lumpur I feel like is a lesser version of Singapore so not necessary to visit. Maybe any place of interest in Indonesia...Jakarta, Lombok, Bali, etc. Or one of the islands in Thailand. Or another wildcard is East Malaysia, to get a nice contrast from Singapore.

Enjoy!!

Old 10-15-2018, 03:16 PM

10,843 posts, read 19,420,267 times
How about Istanbul for a stopover for a day, four days in Singapore and then a stopover in Dubai for a day on way back?

The stopovers would be just long enough to do a quick tour of the cities and get some rest.

May not work because it's not a round trip on same airlines right?

Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
How about Istanbul for a stopover for a day, four days in Singapore and then a stopover in Dubai for a day on way back?

The stopovers would be just long enough to do a quick tour of the cities and get some rest.

May not work because it's not a round trip on same airlines right?
Due to the recent deterioration of relationship between US and Turkey, Americans need to obtain a tourist visa from Turkish embassy/consulate since September.

Hopefully relationship will improve after the pastor's release.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:10 PM

It would work but the pricing may be awful. That would be the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or