U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Also, let's remember that Latinos has many different looks. So when we talk about the "Latin look" being an advantage in the Philippines, it's only true for some looks.

For example, you have Filipinos with this look:

They could easily pass in many Latin American countries. But in the Philippines, having this look is no kind of advantage. They're just commoners. That's why I said you'll find a lot more Latino-looking people in the poorer areas of the Philippines than in the richer areas. I'm talking about the looks like those Filipinos ^

I don't know how the OP sees them, but I myself won't classify these people as "Latin" looking. More like Malay/Indonesian look to me than anything, and in the Americas, probably more "indigenous" than mestizo. Rather, I would think OP refers these people as those who look more like a typical Filipino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 02:53 AM

385 posts, read 100,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Am not disputing whether K-pop is popular or not. And am not disputing that there are some who find K-pop stars attractive. But an average Korean also does not look like those really attractive K-pop stars, more like Psy. And you don't find many Koreans dating Filipinos.

OP asked a simple question and I gave a simple answer. It's true that there are almost no full white celebrities in the Philippines, but there are hardly any fully white people in the general population as well. I don't know how many tried to be celebrities and never made it, but OP is not trying to be a celebrity.

Oh, I don't agree that everyone prefers East Asian eyes. A "double lid" surgery is among the most common procedures among Koreans and Chinese. Some Chinese Filipinos also had that procedure, so I wouldn't say that's a strong preference. Never heard of big eyes are associated with being poor. Associating something with wealth and preferring them just means there are gold-digging people to be found in every country.

Despacito was a hit in the Philippines, the same as about anywhere, a few years ago. I don't know anything about telenovelas. Anyway, it's true that an East Asian and European (and perhaps Latin) looks are actually preferred in the Philippines. Daniel Matsunaga is one of those that ticks all those boxes, and became one of the major heartthrobs in the country.

Korean men marry Filipino women pretty often. I think there would be more intermarriages, but Koreans tend to look down on Southeast Asians. Filipino women would be totally ok with it though because Koreans are highly regarded.

There are plenty of white men in the Philippines. A lot of them have learned Tagalog. For example, Travis Kraft (youtube guy) lives in the Philippines and speaks Tagalog. He made a movie, but it flopped. He was never been able to make it as a celebrity. Filipinos want to see some Asian features on their celebs. They dont want to see full white people. Which is why Pilita Corrales and Jaime Fabregas are the last white celebrities in the Philippines.

Look at the celebrities from the 50s and 60s. They were almost all white

Now compare that to Filipino celebs today

You dont see the drastic change? We went from an almost completely white media to an Asian / Eurasian media

Big eyes are often made fun of in the Philippines, while chinito eyes are admired as more attractive. If you dont believe me, just read the comments in this video about Filipino beauty standards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mljr6JnbTs

"Unlike other Asians, Filipino beauty standards dont have a preference for eyes. And if some Filipinos have a preference, it's usually for small chinito eyes"

"I'm full Filipina and I grew up in the Philippines, but the Filipinos actually like smaller eyes, we call it being 'chinito' or 'chinita'."

"Girl. Things are changing. Most want chinky eyes now. Korean/Japanese beauty is what Filipino likes now."

"Filipinos like small eyes ."

"I would disagree with the eyes. Mas gusto dito chinito chinita"

"When you have small eyes you're hot �� sometimes I just wanna live in korea japan or china ��"

And there are many more comments like that from Filipinos. So let's get rid of the myth that Filipino beauty standards are completely European, because clearly that's not true. Filipinos admire a lot of Asian features and culture as well.

Despacito was only a hit in the Philippines because it was a hit in the US. And it was usually the Justin Beiber remix that you would hear playing on the radio. It's very rare these days for any straight-from-Latin American music, movies or television to become hits in the Philippines.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
I don't know how the OP sees them, but I myself won't classify these people as "Latin" looking. More like Malay/Indonesian look to me than anything, and in the Americas, probably more "indigenous" than mestizo. Rather, I would think OP refers these people as those who look more like a typical Filipino.

Have you been to Latin America? Those Filipinos I posted look like regular people there. Not indigenous people. (But Filipinos who also look like more indigenous Latin Americans too). Not all Latin Americans look like the very European-looking ones in the media. Most Latin Americans are 50% Native American or more.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:29 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
There are almost ZERO full white Filipino citizens. It is almost impossible to become a citizen for a white person. You have to have a parent who is Filipino/a, to get the rights to become a citizen.

White men in the Philippines are almost always on some kind of visa with 'permission' to be there.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There are almost ZERO full white Filipino citizens. It is almost impossible to become a citizen for a white person. You have to have a parent who is Filipino/a, to get the rights to become a citizen.

White men in the Philippines are almost always on some kind of visa with 'permission' to be there.
I'm not talking about white expats from the US, Australia, etc. That's a whole different conversation. I'm talking about white-passing Filipinos who are mostly or pure European (usually Spanish). Most of them fled to other countries like Spain, Australia, and the US during WW2. But a few still remain in the US, probably less than 50,000 but it's hard to tell. A lot of them are well-known politicians, businessmen, and celebrities.

Probably the most well-known family are the Ayalas

They develop a lot of the high-end business districts and malls in the Philippines. Their name is all over the place.

The Aboitiz family are also businessmen

Enrique Razon

Those 3 families ^ are usually in the list of top 10 wealthiest families in the Philippines. The rest are pure Chinese.

There are a handful of other European families. A lot of them are well-known in certain regions of the Philippines and they run a lot of the business and politics there.

And as for celebrities. There arent many left that pass as white. They used to dominate the media, but now here are the only ones I can think of:

Pilita Corrales- she's a very famous singer. You still see her on TV a lot

Jaime Fabregas- he's still on TV

Peque Gallaga- he's not really famous anymore

But other than those 3 celebs, you wont see any white Filipino celebs on the screen in the Philippines.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:15 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Not sure how accurate the lack of white celebrities are in the Philippines, but again, there are almost no fully white people in the Philippines. However, many who are in Philippine showbiz have some Caucasian blood.

K-pop is indeed popular in the Philippines, just like lots of other countries as well. Some of them might have concerts in the Philippines but almost none are based in the Philippines. There's perhaps only one or two celebrities active in the Philippine entertainment industry (and actually based in the Philippines) who are of Korean descent. I am not sure why this is relevant to this thread anyway.

I don't follow Philippine showbiz, but whenever I see some Philippine shows, it's evident that there is more white blood among those people on screen than the general population. I don't even know most of their names, but a conversation from a couple of years ago, we were asking who among Filipino celebrities they think were most attractive. The male one that came up was Daniel Matsunaga, which incidentally is Brazilian with some Japanese ancestry and probably no Filipino ancestry. The female one was Marian Rivera, which actually was born in Spain. Both definitely have some Caucasian ancestry, although I don't know the exact percentage. The last Miss Philippines to win the Miss Universe crown in 2015 was also half-German, although this time, there's no Latin connection anymore.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Not sure how accurate the lack of white celebrities are in the Philippines, but again, there are almost no fully white people in the Philippines. However, many who are in Philippine showbiz have some Caucasian blood.

K-pop is indeed popular in the Philippines, just like lots of other countries as well. Some of them might have concerts in the Philippines but almost none are based in the Philippines. There's perhaps only one or two celebrities active in the Philippine entertainment industry (and actually based in the Philippines) who are of Korean descent. I am not sure why this is relevant to this thread anyway.

I don't follow Philippine showbiz, but whenever I see some Philippine shows, it's evident that there is more white blood among those people on screen than the general population. I don't even know most of their names, but a conversation from a couple of years ago, we were asking who among Filipino celebrities they think were most attractive. The male one that came up was Daniel Matsunaga, which incidentally is Brazilian with some Japanese ancestry and probably no Filipino ancestry. The female one was Marian Rivera, which actually was born in Spain. Both definitely have some Caucasian ancestry, although I don't know the exact percentage. The last Miss Philippines to win the Miss Universe crown in 2015 was also half-German, although this time, there's no Latin connection anymore.

There are lots of white expats in the Philippines though. They may not be citizens of the Philippines, but they live there full time. Even with all those white expats, none have been able to become a successful celebrity. Travis Kraft tried it, he even learned Tagalog. But it didnt work out and now he just does youtube videos. My point is, the standard of beauty in the Philippines is not a pure European beauty standard. Filipinos think that mixed European and Asian (especially East Asian) features are beautiful.

You mentioned Marian Rivera. She's really a perfect example of what I'm talking about. She's half Spanish, but her Asian features are still clearly visible. She could almost pass as Japanese, which Filipinos find beautiful as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7g5FEGDG8w

She has a balance of European and Asian features and Filipinos like that. Her husband also has mixed European/Asian features, even though he's full Filipino.

Daniel Matsunaga is another good example.

He's Japanese-Brazilian. He looks like he could be part Filipino (but he's not) but that's why Filipinos like him. Filipinos want to see people who kind of look like them. They dont want to see a pure white person on the screen.

Most of the foreign models and celebrities who make a career in the Philippines are actually Japanese-Brazilians. So the foreigners who make it in the Philippines aren't pure white. They are mixed European and Asian, because that is the standard of beauty in the Philippines. The standard of beauty is moving in the direction of becoming more Asian thanks to Korean influence.

Last edited by manolopo; 10-16-2018 at 11:41 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 AM

478 posts, read 188,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Korean men marry Filipino women pretty often. I think there would be more intermarriages, but Koreans tend to look down on Southeast Asians. Filipino women would be totally ok with it though because Koreans are highly regarded.

There are plenty of white men in the Philippines. A lot of them have learned Tagalog. For example, Travis Kraft (youtube guy) lives in the Philippines and speaks Tagalog. He made a movie, but it flopped. He was never been able to make it as a celebrity. Filipinos want to see some Asian features on their celebs. They dont want to see full white people. Which is why Pilita Corrales and Jaime Fabregas are the last white celebrities in the Philippines.

"Unlike other Asians, Filipino beauty standards dont have a preference for eyes. And if some Filipinos have a preference, it's usually for small chinito eyes"

"I'm full Filipina and I grew up in the Philippines, but the Filipinos actually like smaller eyes, we call it being 'chinito' or 'chinita'."

"Girl. Things are changing. Most want chinky eyes now. Korean/Japanese beauty is what Filipino likes now."

"Filipinos like small eyes ."

"I would disagree with the eyes. Mas gusto dito chinito chinita"

"When you have small eyes you're hot �� sometimes I just wanna live in korea japan or china ��"

And there are many more comments like that from Filipinos. So let's get rid of the myth that Filipino beauty standards are completely European, because clearly that's not true. Filipinos admire a lot of Asian features and culture as well.

Despacito was only a hit in the Philippines because it was a hit in the US. And it was usually the Justin Beiber remix that you would hear playing on the radio. It's very rare these days for any straight-from-Latin American music, movies or television to become hits in the Philippines.
not only in the Philippines, many korean men also marry other southeast asian women and even quite a lot in Indonesia. korean man marry local girls only rarely exposed by the media. If you look at youTube or come to jakarta or other place there are some korean men date with Indonesian girl ( native ) even date with dark skin women. even though there are many korean migrants nowadays in Indonesia, especially in Jabotabek, they are usually business people and some are tourist.It is true that the Korean impression on southeast asians is very low and streotype is very negative for southeast asians such as insulting about skin color, short and dirty and no wonder many korean also adores caucasian even korean and american man may be the same as they usually marry southeast asian women. for example, marry with vietnamese or filipino girls they will not take the woman to their country due to the shame with their family / neighbors due to bring wives from poor countries. they are usually more comfortable living in his wife's country
in Indonesia they prefer bule/ caucasians/ hispanic for them it is more interesting . I took a few quotes from Indonesians to bule or caucasian" The reality that must be accepted is that bule or caucasians are on average higher, the points are much more sharp, skin is whiter, hair is much blond, and eyes are blue. compared to Indonesians, yes it's really very different, usually we are shorter, snub nose, dark skin, and black eyes. This is the main factor why bule or caucasians always look cooler because the first thing we see is physical "

Old 10-17-2018, 06:20 AM

188 posts, read 186,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Even though it's hard for Europeans, or any foreigner for that matter, to gain Philippine citizenship, there are a sh*t ton of White expats living in the Philippines.

However, the almost impossible process, to gain citizenship, will soon change since we're currently reforming the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consti...administration

Applying for Filipino citizenship will be easier in the new constitution.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Even though it's hard for Europeans, or any foreigner for that matter, to gain Philippine citizenship, there are a sh*t ton of White expats living in the Philippines.

However, the almost impossible process, to gain citizenship, will soon change since we're currently reforming the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consti...administration

Applying for Filipino citizenship will be easier in the new constitution.
That's good, if that's true.

Well, there are a ton of 'other' people living in tons of places all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia