U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 10:49 AM

4,821 posts, read 1,835,435 times

Advertisements

What prompted my question is that I was watching a home purchase show and the couple were both Filipino - the wife looked Asian and the husband looked more Latin or Hispanic. It just made me wonder about the cultural prescriptions and if people gravitate to those who look more like themselves, or if everyone is embraced under the Filipino umbrella.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:06 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What prompted my question is that I was watching a home purchase show and the couple were both Filipino - the wife looked Asian and the husband looked more Latin or Hispanic. It just made me wonder about the cultural prescriptions and if people gravitate to those who look more like themselves, or if everyone is embraced under the Filipino umbrella.
its just like water, you seek your own level, whether with native malay stock, mestizo, ethnic chinese

i belived everyone is embraced..thats the reason Amerasians (whether with black or white ancestry) in the Philippines were not included in a program to bring them to America.

an amerasian with black ancestry became a model/star. a korean became a comic side kick. another korean started her entertainment career in the Philippines, went back to Korea and now a member of a pop group.

its only in politics and business that the elites want to exclude outsiders. you know, its about the money

Old 10-20-2018, 12:32 AM

392 posts, read 102,328 times
Quote:
You need to be more specific when you say "looked Latin American/Hispanic." That can also mean a lot of different things.

For example, I have a cousin (actually many cousins) who could easily pass as Southern Mexican or Central American

He looks like a typical man from Honduras. I'm not talking about the Native Americans there, I'm talking about the typical people. But he's full Filipino, and Filipinos wouldnt consider him mestizo or foreign-looking at all. He's just a regular guy.

Then you have Filipinos more in the middle of the Hispanic-looking spectrum, like Manny Pacquiao's wife

Even though she's obviously Spanish-mixed (distant ancestry), she would still be accepted by most of society as a regular Filipino. This look isn't very common for Filipinos, but it's also not rare either. It's common for these types to mix with regular Filipinos. Case in point, she met and married Manny Pacquiao long before he was famous, and Manny comes from a poor background. It was totally normal for these two to mix.

Then at the very end of spectrum of Hispanic-looking Filipinos, you have the full Spanish Filipinos.

Their numbers are very tiny in the Philippines because most fled the country. A few still live there, like the people above ^ as you can see from the San Mig bottles. When you see them in the Philippines, you assume they're foreigners, so most of society doesnt accept them as Filipinos. They usually keep to themselves, or they mix with other rich European expats (diplomats and business people, not regular expats).

But there are exceptions. For example, Fernando Zobel de Ayala is one of the wealthiest people in the Philippines. He married a regular Filipina

Enrique Razon is also one of the top wealthiest. He also married a regular Filipina, though she might be Chinese-Filipina

Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM

188 posts, read 186,875 times
The "Spanish Colonists" actually sent to the Philippines wasn't even directly from Spain, most of which either came from Peru or Mexico and they weren't even pure Spanish to begin with...

Letter from Fajardo to Felipe III From Manila, August 15 1620.(From the Spanish Archives of the Indies)("The infantry does not amount to two hundred men, in three companies. If these men were that number, and Spaniards, it would not be so bad; but, although I have not seen them, because they have not yet arrived here, I am told that they are, as at other times, for the most part boys, mestizos, and mulattoes, with some Indians (Native Americans). There is no little cause for regret in the great sums that reënforcements of such men waste for, and cost, your Majesty. I cannot see what betterment there will be until your Majesty shall provide it, since I do not think, that more can be done in Nueva Spaña, although the viceroy must be endeavoring to do so, as he is ordered.")

But their mixed raced descendants compose 1/3rd of the population of the main island of Luzon.

People and Prospects of the Philippines...

Blackwood’s magazine for August, 1818, has an account of conditions in Manila and the Philippines from data given by an English merchant who left the Islands in 1798 after twenty years’ residence in which he accumulated a fortune.

“Your first question, with respect to the Spanish population, must refer to native Spaniards only; as their numerous descendants, through all the variety of half-castes, would include one third at least of the whole population of Luconia (i.e., Luzon–A. C.)

http://www.authorama.com/former-philippines-b-8.html

Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 PM

It would be interesting to understand the DNA breakdown of residents in the Philippines.

I don't know hardly anything of the history, but am interested in different cultures and their customs and impacts.

If from Chinese stock, you would have "x" customs - if from "Hispanic" stock, you would have "y" customs.

Your religions would be different too.

I am guessing most Filipinos are Catholic? Even the mostly Chinese ones? Or is there a Buddhist contingent, as well?

Do residents make national observations of people's ancestry?

The cultures are so different is why it is fascinating to me.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting to understand the DNA breakdown of residents in the Philippines.

I don't know hardly anything of the history, but am interested in different cultures and their customs and impacts.

If from Chinese stock, you would have "x" customs - if from "Hispanic" stock, you would have "y" customs.

Your religions would be different too.

I am guessing most Filipinos are Catholic? Even the mostly Chinese ones? Or is there a Buddhist contingent, as well?

Do residents make national observations of people's ancestry?

The cultures are so different is why it is fascinating to me.

Chinese-Filipinos have their own cultural practices and blend in some Chinese beliefs, but most of them are hardcore Catholics.

Hispanic Filipinos dont have a culture that is drastically different from mainstream Filipinos. The main differences are their level of wealth and the fact that they use a lot more English (which is ironic, considering that they're Hispanic)

So it's very different from other Asian countries that were colonized, where you have a small minority Eurasian of people who have a distinct culture. For example, the Kristangs in Malaysia, the Indos in Indonesia, and the Macanese in Macau. To this day, they consider themselves culturally distinct from the majority of the population in their country. This is why those groups emphasize their identity so much. But Hispanics Filipinos are not culturally distinct from mainstream Filipinos. They have most of the same culture, traditions, and beliefs.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Chinese-Filipinos have their own cultural practices and blend in some Chinese beliefs, but most of them are hardcore Catholics.

Hispanic Filipinos dont have a culture that is drastically different from mainstream Filipinos. The main differences are their level of wealth and the fact that they use a lot more English (which is ironic, considering that they're Hispanic)

So it's very different from other Asian countries that were colonized, where you have a small minority Eurasian of people who have a distinct culture. For example, the Kristangs in Malaysia, the Indos in Indonesia, and the Macanese in Macau. To this day, they consider themselves culturally distinct from the majority of the population in their country. This is why those groups emphasize their identity so much. But Hispanics Filipinos are not culturally distinct from mainstream Filipinos. They have most of the same culture, traditions, and beliefs.
Interesting. What do you consider "mainstream Filipinos?" What is their heritage?

Old 10-20-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Interesting. What do you consider "mainstream Filipinos?" What is their heritage?

Majority Austronesian with some Mainland Southeast Asian admixture. Some Negrito admixture (5-10% on average), Chinese admixture (5-10% on average), a drop of European (1-5% on average), a drop of Indian admixture (1-2% on average). That would be the average Filipino.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Majority Austronesian with some Mainland Southeast Asian admixture. Some Negrito admixture (5-10% on average), Chinese admixture (5-10% on average), a drop of European (1-5% on average), a drop of Indian admixture (1-2% on average). That would be the average Filipino.

Interesting. I read the Austronesians genesis was in Taiwan.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:21 PM

188 posts, read 186,875 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention the Native American descent among Filipinos too.

According to National Geographic, Filipinos also have Native American descent. Mainly from Mexican and Peruvian soldiers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia