Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 AM

22 posts, read 17,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Intelligence is valued in some Asian countries, like Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam.

The Philippines doesn't have that. You'll be more shocked at how little they know.

Me: "Do Europeans get upset you when you call them Americans?"
Filipina: "They know they are Americans. Of course they wouldn't get upset."
I don't think that's completely true. I've met lots of smart and knowledgeable Filipinos. They're only so poor because of hot temperatures and Catholicism. One day they'll figure out they need air-conditioning in all of their classrooms, and they'll really start to rise up.

I think the language barrier in Vietnam would be a huge problem. Especially for someone my age. Maybe the younger people can speak English, but pretty much nobody over 30 would be able to.

I don't understand ignorance, and I don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 04:07 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
I don't think that's completely true. I've met lots of smart and knowledgeable Filipinos. They're only so poor because of hot temperatures and Catholicism. One day they'll figure out they need air-conditioning in all of their classrooms, and they'll really start to rise up.
My house has AC and I've never turned it on once, in over a year. But maybe modern population density fosters closed architecture that makes AC more essential than in village architecture.

My current thinking is that public education here teaches obedience over analysis, and Catholicism is not helpful in shaking off this constraint.

Here in Cebu, our electrical source is largely geothermal, so at least AC may be affordable.

Last edited by cebuan; 11-01-2018 at 04:15 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 08:23 AM

546 posts, read 569,157 times
Quote:

I think the language barrier in Vietnam would be a huge problem. Especially for someone my age. Maybe the younger people can speak English, but pretty much nobody over 30 would be able to.

I don't want to argue against fellow Christians and I am open to opinions from Protestants.

But all the hate directed against us Catholics especially us religious people who take a vow of chastity, poverty and obedience, including myself (As a former monk who had to donate my material possessions to the church) is frankly, ridiculously unfair, biased and ignorant.

We, the Catholic Church, are one of the first organizations to mobilize to help the poor and needy during times of trouble.

Likewise, it was three martyred Catholic priests Gomez, Burgos, and Zamora who died fighting for native rights against Spanish corruption which engendered the indignation to start the Philippine Revolution (Which coincidentally, the PROTESTANT Americans crushed in the Philippine-American war)

Likewise, it was us Catholics under Cardinal Jaime Sin who trooped to EDSA to remove the dictator Marcos from power whom the US granted political assylum in Hawaii...

I have shiet ton more of vitriol and evidences to state the contrary to your opinion, that the Catholics "opressed" the Filipinos vs the goody goody Protestants (I'm staying my mouth here at this point, out of respect to my fellow Christian Protestants, but I'm not gonna shut up if you people lie about my religion).

Old 11-01-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:

And BTW.

Thank you for the concern and good intentions you have towards my countrymen. There are alot of kind hearted and loving people out there I hope you will find the good apple among us and throw away the bad ones.

We need more selfless people like you.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
OP, if you go down this road, do get a Pre-Nup. It might save you a great deal of heartache and money.

Rich

Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 AM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
OP, if you go down this road, do get a Pre-Nup. It might save you a great deal of heartache and money.

Rich
Although a pre-nup will probably do nothing for you with regards to the Affidavit of Support you have to do as part of the immigration process. You will still be bound to provide support for anyone you sponsor, fiancé and their children, until those people either become U.S. citizens, or work for 40 quarters. So in theory, I guess, if you marry a foreigner who you sponsor to come to the U.S., you end up getting divorced, and that person never becomes a U.S. citizen, or never works 40 quarters, then you are still on the hook to support them.

I am thinking of a scenario where an individual marries a foreign bride. Sometime after coming to the U.S., they get divorced. She ends up marrying someone else she met in the U.S. She never works while here, and is a full time home keeper. Even though she is now re-married, the original person who sponsored her to come to the U.S. is obligated to support her for the rest of her life. Now to be totally honest, the support you're obligated to provide isn't necessarily in the form of regular monthly payments, you are only obligated to ensure they do not become a "public burden".

Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
A higher percent of Asians are more traditional than Americans, simply because the cultures haven't modernized fully yet. It is true that divorce rates are just as high after they get a little money in their pockets. Quite lower in Japan, but as usual, Japan is an outlier. Maybe that is because Japan has relatively reasonable child support rules?
The minute you bring somebody here, they will get modernized, or Americanized. That’s what some of my friends found out. My sister had one friend who had the same idea as you and married a young Asian wife, much younger than him, hoping for better odds. It ended up badly.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The minute you bring somebody here, they will get modernized, or Americanized. That’s what some of my friends found out. My sister had one friend who had the same idea as you and married a young Asian wife, much younger than him, hoping for better odds. It ended up badly.

I think it would be better if the kids, or family stays in the Philippines, they will be aware of the struggles and poverty of living in a disater-prone, war torn land. They would have the proper guts and backbone to deal with life's misery and at the same time not become materialistic and status seeking and have compassion for the needy and if one earns in dollars, the high value of the dollar to the peso means that whoever earns the dollars can live rich in the Philippines.

If you want to have a simple and earnest wife and children DO NOT bring them to America it will only spoil them, but America has more material opportunities and have a more comfortable life. So it depends on whether you want your family to have good character or good opportunities. Anyway, I'm no expert in this matter so don't take me seriously, raising a family is serious business and giving every opportunity to ones child is a priority. I on the other hand am just a poor, celibate person who wants to be a missionary and who chooses to live among the poor and share in their struggle. I can't make my own family though so my experience is that of a different context. Always look out for what's best for your family.

Anyway, get as much opinions as possible, the more informed you are, the better.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:00 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
I don't want to argue against fellow Christians and I am open to opinions from Protestants.

But all the hate directed against us Catholics especially us religious people who take a vow of chastity, poverty and obedience, including myself (As a former monk who had to donate my material possessions to the church) is frankly, ridiculously unfair, biased and ignorant.

We, the Catholic Church, are one of the first organizations to mobilize to help the poor and needy during times of trouble.

Likewise, it was three martyred Catholic priests Gomez, Burgos, and Zamora who died fighting for native rights against Spanish corruption which engendered the indignation to start the Philippine Revolution (Which coincidentally, the PROTESTANT Americans crushed in the Philippine-American war)

Likewise, it was us Catholics under Cardinal Jaime Sin who trooped to EDSA to remove the dictator Marcos from power whom the US granted political assylum in Hawaii...

I have shiet ton more of vitriol and evidences to state the contrary to your opinion, that the Catholics "opressed" the Filipinos vs the goody goody Protestants (I'm staying my mouth here at this point, out of respect to my fellow Christian Protestants, but I'm not gonna shut up if you people lie about my religion).
Where does the Bible say one must confess to a priest? Where does it say a person should not marry? Where does it say pray to Mary. Monks? Taken from Buddhism. Rosary Beads? Hindu. And how come the only type of sex the "Church," seems to oppose is heterosexual, consensual? But, even setting all that aside, the bottom line is poor people should not be making babies, let alone lots of babies..it is a recipe guaranteeing a poor nation.

What is the difference between Filipino women and Thai women? When you are down to your last Dollar, a Thai woman will want nothing to do with you; a Filipino woman will say it is a good time to start a family.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 11-01-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Where does the Bible say one must confess to a priest?
Priests derived their power to forgive sin from the unbroken Apostolic sucession from modern times to Christ himself who is God, who had given authority to Peter and the Apostles, of which the modern Deacons, Priests and Bishops are the heirs to their authority.

John 20:23 we read: “Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained” (NKJV). (Jesus talking to Peter)

Quote:
Where does it say a person should not marry?
Marriage is a choice the church both celebrates marriage and celibacy. In fact marriage is so holy, it's a sacrament but celibacy is also a gift too.

Matthew 19:10-12
The disciples said to Him, "If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry." But He said to them, "Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. "For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

Quote:
Where does it say pray to Mary.
Mary is a member of the communion of Saints and even ordinary people are asked by God to pray for one another so it's not a sin to ask Mary who is already in heaven to pray for you.

Ephesians 6:18

18 In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

Quote:
Monks? Taken from Buddhism. Rosary Beads? Hindu.
So? Christ is called the Alpha and Omega, Greek letters of the Alphabet signifying the first and the last as understood in Pagan Greek Philosophy but it's applied to the Hebrew Jesus in the Book of Revelation.

Isn't it written in the Bible that every tounge, people and nation would exalt the Lord? Which means that Christianity would incroporate the rich cultural traditions among the nations the Church has spread her mantle of divine love.

Quote:
And how come the only type of sex the "Church," seems to oppose is heterosexual, consensual?
No, the church does not oppose heterosexual consensual sex, the Biblical book of the Song of Songs is all about sex and the passion of love which the church uses in her Liturgy.

What the church opposes is the desecration and commodification of sex turning us all into whores. In fact, the church sanctifies sex by making the sex act a holy act that consumates the Sacrament of marriage.

Quote:
But, even setting all that aside, the bottom line is poor people should not be making babies, let alone lots of babies..it is a recipe guaranteeing a poor nation.
Be a bit nuanced being fertile does not equal to being poor. Look at Japan, they have a shrinking population and a subpar birth rate but are they really rich? Considering that 250% of their GDP is tied to debt. How about the USA? 105% of your GDP is debt. In contrast, "poor", "overpopulated" Philippines only has a debt to GDP ratio of 40+ %

In fact, in Japan they're getting even poorer because they have less and less children to sustain their aging population. There are now less taxable working age people because of the lower birth rate which means that the government is forced to increase the taxes on the young just to feed the pensions of the ever increasing elderly which leads to lesser and lesser general disposable income...

So a lower birthrate actually makes people poor too.

Quote:
What is the difference between Filipino women and Thai women? When you are down to your last Dollar, a Thai woman will want nothing to do with you; a Filipino woman will say it is a good time to start a family.
Family is more important than money. I gave away my money to be with my family, the poor in the streets. I can always re earn my lost wealth but I cannot take back lost families.

Last edited by Selurong; 11-01-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia