Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 AM

546 posts, read 569,260 times

Advertisements

As I said before, I don't want to argue with you Protestants and try my best to respect you people. So please don't invite me to refute you because I have studied 5 years in a Roman Catholic Seminary for the singular purpose of refuting you. And quite frankly going into disputes and arguments because of that, detracts from the Christian duty of loving thy neighbor and understanding one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:42 AM

I love you my fellow brother and sister Christians who just happen to be Protestants. May God Bless You.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:52 PM

22 posts, read 17,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
I don't want to argue against fellow Christians and I am open to opinions from Protestants.

But all the hate directed against us Catholics especially us religious people who take a vow of chastity, poverty and obedience, including myself (As a former monk who had to donate my material possessions to the church) is frankly, ridiculously unfair, biased and ignorant.

We, the Catholic Church, are one of the first organizations to mobilize to help the poor and needy during times of trouble.

Likewise, it was three martyred Catholic priests Gomez, Burgos, and Zamora who died fighting for native rights against Spanish corruption which engendered the indignation to start the Philippine Revolution (Which coincidentally, the PROTESTANT Americans crushed in the Philippine-American war)

Likewise, it was us Catholics under Cardinal Jaime Sin who trooped to EDSA to remove the dictator Marcos from power whom the US granted political assylum in Hawaii...

I have shiet ton more of vitriol and evidences to state the contrary to your opinion, that the Catholics "opressed" the Filipinos vs the goody goody Protestants (I'm staying my mouth here at this point, out of respect to my fellow Christian Protestants, but I'm not gonna shut up if you people lie about my religion).
Sorry to have offended you. I was only speaking of the Pope advising for so long that Catholics not use birth control. So they have too many kids, and that makes it much harder to escape poverty. That is all I meant, and I should have spelled it out. I think the advice against birth control is wrong, and so do most Catholics in industrialized countries. I went to Catholic church every Easter and Thanksgiving, because my cousins are Catholic. I was raised Episcopalean, which almost the same thing. I like Catholics. Rome, not so much. But certainly the Catholic Church HAS done a LOT of GOOD for the Philippines, and continues to do so. Sorry to have offended you.

Last edited by georgeorwell; 11-02-2018 at 12:56 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
OP, if you go down this road, do get a Pre-Nup. It might save you a great deal of heartache and money.

Rich
I don't know if it will help, but I've got one locked and loaded. It just might.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My house has AC and I've never turned it on once, in over a year. But maybe modern population density fosters closed architecture that makes AC more essential than in village architecture.

My current thinking is that public education here teaches obedience over analysis, and Catholicism is not helpful in shaking off this constraint.

Here in Cebu, our electrical source is largely geothermal, so at least AC may be affordable.
All the call centers have cold A/C. The girls complain, but the cold A/C keeps the mind active. When I have work to do on my computer, and I'm feeling like procastinating, I turn the A/C down a few degrees and shiver to remind myself that there is work to be done. It isn't comfortable, but keeps me awake.

Hot temperatures makes the brain slow down because the brain burns a LOT of energy, and so it has to slow down in order to maintain homeostasis. Otherwise you'd overheat and fry your brain. This is science, but it is old knowledge. To quote Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carol, Chapter one, page 2, first paragraph:

"So she was considering in her own mind, (as well as she could, for the hot day made her feel very sleepy and stupid.) whether the pleasure of making a daisy-chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a white rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her."

Old 11-02-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
Sorry to have offended you. I was only speaking of the Pope advising for so long that Catholics not use birth control. So they have too many kids, and that makes it much harder to escape poverty. That is all I meant, and I should have spelled it out. I think the advice against birth control is wrong, and so do most Catholics in industrialized countries. I went to Catholic church every Easter and Thanksgiving, because my cousins are Catholic. I was raised Episcopalean, which almost the same thing. I like Catholics. Rome, not so much. But certainly the Catholic Church HAS done a LOT of GOOD for the Philippines, and continues to do so. Sorry to have offended you.
I love Episcopaleans, you have very charismatic members like Martin Luther King and Michael Bruce Cury. Plus, my favorite gospel singer of all time, Mariah Carey, is an Episcopalean.

Anyway, I was a monastic brother in the Augustinian Order, the same order that produced the radical Martin Luther. Who opposed the corrupt practices in the church then. Moreover I was a member of the reform movement among Augustinians, the Augustinian Recollects, so, even though I may be Catholic, I am open for the reformist and progressive elements among Protestants since not only did we produce Roman Catholic Priests who are now Protestants, I recognize that the Catholic Church is made up of sinners and saints alike. We are also fed up and against Church corruption it's just that we work within the system and we don't want to go to break communion with the Papacy, the Roman Catholic church, successor to the Petrine Mission instituted by Christ, and repository of 2000 years of ancient Christian history as well as heir of the Roman Empire (Both the Roman Empire and the Roman Catholic Church uses the Latin Language).

Well, the opposition to birth control among Roman Catholics is ancient. In the past, when the Romans used to abandon or abort female babies, because of their gender, the early church discouraged the practice, which was a form of birth control too. We just continue to uphold that tradition until modern times. Some may call us archaic and ancient and sometimes I agree that we need some reform too. Honestly, plenty of my teachers in the Seminary are Pro-Birth Control too and alot of Liberal Catholics are, it's a controversial topic in the church.

Anyway, thank you for your apology, I apologize too if I happen to be too sharp-mouthed and had hurt others.

Last edited by Selurong; 11-02-2018 at 02:52 AM..

Old 11-02-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
Although a pre-nup will probably do nothing for you with regards to the Affidavit of Support you have to do as part of the immigration process. You will still be bound to provide support for anyone you sponsor, fiancé and their children, until those people either become U.S. citizens, or work for 40 quarters. So in theory, I guess, if you marry a foreigner who you sponsor to come to the U.S., you end up getting divorced, and that person never becomes a U.S. citizen, or never works 40 quarters, then you are still on the hook to support them.

I am thinking of a scenario where an individual marries a foreign bride. Sometime after coming to the U.S., they get divorced. She ends up marrying someone else she met in the U.S. She never works while here, and is a full time home keeper. Even though she is now re-married, the original person who sponsored her to come to the U.S. is obligated to support her for the rest of her life. Now to be totally honest, the support you're obligated to provide isn't necessarily in the form of regular monthly payments, you are only obligated to ensure they do not become a "public burden".
My plan from the beginning was to encourage them to become US citizens after 3 years. You're saying that if they do, I'm then not bound? I'd think that if they collected welfare or even food stamps, I'd be on the hook anyway.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:51 AM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
My plan from the beginning was to encourage them to become US citizens after 3 years. You're saying that if they do, I'm then not bound? I'd think that if they collected welfare or even food stamps, I'd be on the hook anyway.

Based on my understanding of the information I posted from the official Government website, no you would not be bound (from an immigration standpoint) once they become naturalized citizens. Now if the person was your husband or wife, I guess a Government agency could make a case that you are obligated to provide support to your spouse versus them becoming a burden to the taxpayer, but that's not related to the Affidavit of Support you execute as part of the immigration process.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:35 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
A map of poverty stricken countries and a map of predominantly Catholic countries...it is the same map in the western hemisphere. The biblical references were interesting, and well presented, but I look at things from an economic standpoint. Filipinos are not short by genetics; they suffer "stunting" from periods of malnutrition as children...so it borders on insanity to support massive breeding of starving children. Met a number of Filipinos willing to work hard to educate themselves...but the numbers, of their family members, constantly works against them.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
A map of poverty stricken countries and a map of predominantly Catholic countries...it is the same map in the western hemisphere. The biblical references were interesting, and well presented, but I look at things from an economic standpoint. Filipinos are not short by genetics; they suffer "stunting" from periods of malnutrition as children...so it borders on insanity to support massive breeding of starving children. Met a number of Filipinos willing to work hard to educate themselves...but the numbers, of their family members, constantly works against them.
You have not seen a TV show about the original Filipino, they are very short. Almost under 4’8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia