U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:46 PM

22 posts, read 8,225 times

Advertisements

I am an American considering starting a relationship with a Filipina who has a 2-year-old child. I've been on a couple dates with her. We haven't gotten involved yet. Just getting to know each other. A friend said that if she divorces me later, I might be held responsible for child support for her child if I take her (and her child) back home to the States, even if I don't legally adopt the child, because I have to sign something saying I'll be financially responsible for the child in order to get the K-2 visa. Is this true? I live in a state with no alimony. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 05:49 PM

9,677 posts, read 4,563,572 times
You need to consult with a family law attorney not a discussion forum. But my bet is your friend is right. If you take on the role of father, and sign an affidavit of support, it seems likely you will be on the hook for child support. Judges tend to place the interests of the child above all else.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 PM

4,428 posts, read 1,679,997 times
I married a Filipina with a daughter 15, and nobody ever asked if she had children. There is no divorce in Philippines, so that is not an issue. If I left her with minor prior children, she can file civil suit against me, enforcible as long as I remain in the
Philippines, and exit permits are required for departure, which could get sticky.
if you don't marry her, a residence visa is much harder to get.

If you're not sure, just live together and keep making balik bayan visa flights out of the country.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 PM

190 posts, read 187,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
I am an American considering starting a relationship with a Filipina who has a 2-year-old child. I've been on a couple dates with her. We haven't gotten involved yet. Just getting to know each other. A friend said that if she divorces me later, I might be held responsible for child support for her child if I take her (and her child) back home to the States, even if I don't legally adopt the child, because I have to sign something saying I'll be financially responsible for the child in order to get the K-2 visa. Is this true? I live in a state with no alimony. Thanks for your help!
There are alot of Filipinas out there who are virgin and without the additional baggage of having a previous family. So why go with her? Anyway, I can't judge you, maybe she has a good personality and maybe you've found true love.

Just be careful and don't be scammed. I say this as a Filipino and I'm genuinely concerned for you since alot of my countrymen are desperately poor and look upon some foreigners as a ticket out of poverty.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Since you are already thinking about that...and the chances of that are already high...i.e. many of those single mothers are quite desperate. Hong Kong/Singapore/Dubai/Qatar/Saudi Arabia are filled with single mothers working 6-days a week, sending their paychecks home for their own mother to take care of their kids.

If one could latch on to a foreigner to provide everything for them....they will do that in a mega-heartbeat. Divorce in the U.S./Europe is quite high once they gain the paperwork to stay there.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,197,325 times
Only one kid?

Old 10-27-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Only one kid?
She is > 30 years old. Supposed to have only one kid. There are lots of related children however. Of course it has occurred to me that she might be hiding more kids. How is the record keeping in the Phils? Sure, I can hire an attorney, and a private investigator (and probably will if things get more serious) to make sure she doesn't have more kids. But I figure that surely someone else has direct experience with this, and a forum is the best place to ask. I don't mind taking care of one kid, and being a good role model, but I don't want to be, after 2-3 years, on the hook with child support for years of my life, unable to remarry or support a new family if she is without ethics and just takes me for a ride to support whatever lifestyle she chooses to have. I'm not always the best judge of character.

If you have direct experience, or directly know someone with direct experience, please reply.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:39 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,387,859 times
Quote:

What do you mean by a couple of dates. Have you met her in person in the Philippines? You need to know if she is married. Having a relationship with a married women in the Philippines makes you liable for criminal prosecution if a husband finds out and brings charges.

There are a lot of scams in these relationships. Get a CENOMAR ( certificate of no marriage ) from the Philippines NSO ( national statistics office ). Bringing them both to the states makes you financially responsible for both for ten years above and beyond any state alimony laws.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
There are alot of Filipinas out there who are virgin and without the additional baggage of having a previous family. So why go with her? Anyway, I can't judge you, maybe she has a good personality and maybe you've found true love.

Just be careful and don't be scammed. I say this as a Filipino and I'm genuinely concerned for you since alot of my countrymen are desperately poor and look upon some foreigners as a ticket out of poverty.
The last thing I'd ever want is a virgin. I mean, look at me. I'm not exactly a virgin. But I'm starting to think I should call this whole thing off and go find someone at least without kids. I can't solve the world's problems. I can only try to not create problems for myself or my future happy family.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
What do you mean by a couple of dates. Have you met her in person in the Philippines? You need to know if she is married. Having a relationship with a married women in the Philippines makes you liable for criminal prosecution if a husband finds out and brings charges.

There are a lot of scams in these relationships. Get a CENOMAR ( certificate of no marriage ) from the Philippines NSO ( national statistics office ). Bringing them both to the states makes you financially responsible for both for ten years above and beyond any state alimony laws.
Yes, I've met her in person in the Phils. Actually I would marry whoever I choose here first. Though I guess that is a bad idea because if you do want a divorce later, it costs more money to get an annulment. Thanks for the info about the CENOMAR. I didn't know about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia