U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 04:10 PM

156 posts, read 135,418 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a trip to Tokyo in late December. I am not using a travel agent.
looking to understand the districts a lot better. Flying into Haneda airport
looking to sight see, eat good food and shop for fake electronics and clothes
I will only be there 4 nights so I'm trying to get a lot done in the aforementioned departments.
Is it better to book a hotel or air bnb? how to find a hotel close to shopping and food?
Don't really want a tour group and I'm going with my son (20yo)whose sole objective is to ride go carts dressed like a Mario character
Seriously though where is the best place to exchange the us dollar to yen?
How much cash should I carry?
December weather? I understand its in the mid 60's am I wrong?
From Tokyo I go to Phuket Thailand for 4 nights
Is it better to covert yen to US then to baht or yen to baht?
Do you know any good hotels in Phuket less than $90 US per night?
best way to get back and forth to airport?
I have a 4 and a half hour layover in Hong Kong anything I can do with that time?
I also have a 6 hour layover in Beijing on my route home anything I can do with that time?
Tokyo December 21st to 25 Phuket December 25 to Dec 30th
Also best camera to carry?
What phone can I use?
Is there a preferred credit card in these places other than cash?
Thank you for any insight and help with this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 08:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,191,405 times
Going 6000 miles to buy fake electronics? Just plain weird, and could also get you into trouble bringing them into the US...Try www.agoda.com for hotels....it is part of priceline. Visa is good in Thailand, but not everywhere, and cash is better. Better exchange rates will be downtown, not at the airport..by 1-2%. PEK has free showers and Dollar beers at the gift shop....I have killed 3-4 hours there several times, but I doubt you will be allowed to leave the airport, but things change.

The best camera is the one on your phone...just go to 711 and buy a SIM card...you will need to register it....you can even by a cheap phone with a card for the bucks or so....your phone may not work here, due to different frequencies...you can research it online...but roaming internationally with your Verizon plan is the worst thing you can do.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the advice! Joking about the electronics. I'm looking to book a fishing trip in Tokyo any advice on that or even Phuket?

Old 10-30-2018, 06:07 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,191,405 times
Would likely be good in Phuket...I remember 25 years ago a lady in California told me three days in Tokyo cost her more than the rest of the month in Thailand. Doubt it has changed that much, but there are many more high end options in Thailand than those days...mostly unnecessary. The middle road is a great bet in Thailand..no need to pay 200 per night, but no need to be in a backpacker dump for 5, either. You could do ok for 40-50 in Phuket..but that Holiday week might be mobbed. I have a video of a BKK hotel I stayed at..clean enough to eat off the floor, great ac, great TV, CCTV, friendly..amazingly cheap. Will have a look for it... Yesterday, went to a nice mall..in Pinklao area of BKK...Haagen Das single scoop was 13 times more than a small cone from DQ. Guess what I had...I own stock in Haagen Das, too..lol..but there are some crazy import taxes here, especially on anything considered luxury.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:20 PM

WoW this is good to know, anything I can eat in America I don't want to eat there!
By the way I swapped Phuket out for Ho Chi Min City.
I do know Thailand is very inexpensive in comparison to Tokyo.
thanks for the inpiut

Old 11-01-2018, 07:15 PM

332 posts, read 326,073 times
Tokyo isn’t known for fake anything, except maybe wax food that’s put in restaurant windows.

Weather is similar to Washington DC.

It’s best to buy electronics at large shops. They don’t discount too much but have point cards for the locals. Since you’re not a local, the salesman might give you an additional 1-3% off in lieu of getting points. I’ve always liked Yodabashi Camera or BIC Camera which are at every large train station. But Llaox and other places in Akihabara are good too. Lots of tool and part shops under the tracks at Akihabara crossing.

If you can live with “station sushi,” it’s by far the cheapest option. 1000-1500 for a set. The supermarket is also a good option. If you go after 8:00 or 9:00 (depending on closing time) all prepared foods are 1/2 off and you can really feast for little money. For real sushi, go to Tsukiji fish market for lunch and eat at one of the stalls there. Don’t worry about language, just point. It’s best to let the sushi chef give you what’s fresh that day. Cost 3000-4000, but it’s very fresh. You can also go to the many noodle shops where you buy a ticket in the machine and give it to the attendant and they bring you your food. Ramen is sacred in Japan, so splurge once.

There are business hotels near all the major train stations. They are small, but clean and affordable. Toyoko Inn is a big chain of business hotel that’s good.

Check out the basements of department stores for great food shops and travel food (as well as souvenirs).

Old 11-03-2018, 03:48 PM

Oh wow thank you for that. I will be staying in Shinjuku area at APA hotel and resort...reviews say its pretty good near JR line and area foods are supposed to be good.
What is too much money to walk around with for shopping and such? Can you bargain prices like you can in Bangkok?
have you ever been to Vietnam? Looking for some quality info on hotels, cultural no no's and transportation Ill be in the Hanoi area looking to go fishing at some point during my trip thinking Tokyo may be my best chance.
Any info is much appreciated.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:14 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,615,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmverbs View Post
Oh wow thank you for that. I will be staying in Shinjuku area at APA hotel and resort...reviews say its pretty good near JR line and area foods are supposed to be good.
What is too much money to walk around with for shopping and such? Can you bargain prices like you can in Bangkok?
have you ever been to Vietnam? Looking for some quality info on hotels, cultural no no's and transportation Ill be in the Hanoi area looking to go fishing at some point during my trip thinking Tokyo may be my best chance.
Any info is much appreciated.
Shinjuku is pretty convenient for transport, shopping and everything, but it can be a bit overwhelming in terms of the fast pace, and the crowds, unless you like that. Do note that the railway station is #1 in Japan by the volume of passengers - so brace yourself if you go during peak travel times.

You don't bargain on pricing in Japan. It's pretty much fixed. You also don't have to give gratuities either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia