Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times

Advertisements

So I've been hearing reports and reading articles that state Japan is having a population crisis and that Nipon should start taking in immigrants. I remember reading something that Japan paid Japanese-Brazilians to return to Japan as long as they are pure Japanese and they can automatically become citizens and work. Anyone have any interesting articles or videos to watch which back these claims up? Or maybe even refute them? Anyone who's very educated on the topic of Japan and its "population crisis" please do chime in. I have some thoughts on this but I'd rather go off anyone who knows a lot more than myself. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
So I've been hearing reports and reading articles that state Japan is having a population crisis and that Nipon should start taking in immigrants. I remember reading something that Japan paid Japanese-Brazilians to return to Japan as long as they are pure Japanese and they can automatically become citizens and work. Anyone have any interesting articles or videos to watch which back these claims up? Or maybe even refute them? Anyone who's very educated on the topic of Japan and its "population crisis" please do chime in. I have some thoughts on this but I'd rather go off anyone who knows a lot more than myself. Thanks!
Japan thinks in 'long-term' ways. The concept of 'ever-increasing populations' is an American Economics model that fits an extremely large nation like the United States where resources are plentiful.

It doesn't fit for a smallish island nation with limited resources...to be ever-increasing in population. Losing part of your population is FANTASTIC in the long-term.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
My seat mate on a flight from Tokyo to LA was Indian but is a Japanese citizen. He came to Japan as a child with his parents. He was employed as an executive secretary to the president of a mainland Chinese plastics company and was on a business trip to the US.

I also recall reading a book about an American soldier who was stationed in Japan during the post World War 2 occupation. He stayed on after his enlistment ended, married a Japanese women and obtained Japanese citizenship. Owned and operated a successful Italian restaurant in Tokyo. Guess there is some immigration into Japan but on a limited basis.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:34 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japan thinks in 'long-term' ways. The concept of 'ever-increasing populations' is an American Economics model that fits an extremely large nation like the United States where resources are plentiful.

It doesn't fit for a smallish island nation with limited resources...to be ever-increasing in population. Losing part of your population is FANTASTIC in the long-term.
Care to explain how losing part of the population is fantastic in the long term?

It’s an interesting idea because countries that base so much economic growth on population growth will eventually have problems, the US clearly falls in this situation.

Japan has started opening up some new pathways to naturalization, especially for Chinese immigrants. But I know a Italian guy on YouTube who is also using this new pathway, sorry I don’t know the name for it. He works at some sort of research laboratory.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:52 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Care to explain how losing part of the population is fantastic in the long term?
It’s an interesting idea because countries that base so much economic growth on population growth will eventually have problems, the US clearly falls in this situation.
Raw population figures - percent over age 65
1970 103,720,060 7.1%
1995 125,570,246 14.5%
2010 128,057,352 23.1%
2017 126,672,000 27.4%

Returning to the population that your country had 20 years ago simply means that your population is aging very quickly. The percent over age 65 has doubled in the past 20 years.
Population will begin to drop very quickly as the older people die.

The US Census bureau international database estimates that by the year 2050 Japan's population will be 107 million and 40% of the population will be 65 or older.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

Japan has started opening up some new pathways to naturalization, especially for Chinese immigrants. But I know a Italian guy on YouTube who is also using this new pathway, sorry I don’t know the name for it. He works at some sort of research laboratory.
Yeah, there are ways to naturalization in Japan. I've known Americans who've done it too. It exists, and people do.

Why is losing your population fantastic in the long-term. Well, we're on a small overpopulated planet already, resources are limited. We're already fighting over a finite amount of oil and other resources. Especially a nation like Japan with 127 million people. It's already a dense place.

If most nations double every ten years (or whatever it is), than in 40 years, you have a billion people in Japan. You think space is already small and limited Japan now, imagine 40 years, when suddenly you need to divide your space in 4 again, to fit 3 other families in the space that used to just have 1.

It's just a very unsustainable model. The only reason the U.S. can promote it, is because 1) it is VERY short-term thinking in pretty much every conceivable way, and 2) the land available.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:45 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Guess there is some immigration into Japan but on a limited basis.
you need to master Nippongo if you want to become a Japanese citizen

Old 02-26-2018, 04:59 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
As long as they remain a homogenous culture, they'll be fine.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
A lot of Japanese people from Brazil that moved to Japan eventually moved back to Brazil, esp during the recession and the Japanese government was giving them incentives to return there. Yet during times of shortage of jobs the opposite is true.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:36 PM

251 posts, read 204,044 times
ABE-KUN also known affectionately as "Botchan" is running the country into the ground economically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia