U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM

9,909 posts, read 8,179,518 times

Advertisements

The most recent episode of Doctor Who revealed to me a part of world history I was unaware of, the partition of India. I knew the British ruled India and at some point India was divided with Pakistan being the new nation breaking off from the western part of India. I started looking up information on this part of history. I understand the negative sentiments many in the region held towards the British. What I donít understand is the violence carried out on both sides after the partition. Was it not true that Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims lived peacefully as neighbors for centuries? If this was true, then why the violence between these former neighbors? Was the loss of British rule the chance to settle old grudges between religious groups? Was it a chain reaction of an act followed by a retaliatory act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 10:11 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,641,137 times
I think a lot of people dont understand India wasnt united before the British came. They were a handful of nations with different religions and there was often violence and hatred between them. The British didnt rule all of India for very long, some of the Indian nations lasted a long time. The Meghel Empire which was the dominant nation in India (mostly northern and central India) lost the most territory to Britain. They were a Muslim nation that ruled over mostly Hindus, but for a long time the people of that nation lived peacefully with each other. Interestingly, the rulers were descendents of Ghanghis Khan. Other Indian nations were not as peaceful.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:15 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,102,568 times
jihad against the pagans. Plain and simple.

A segment of the population was conquered, raped, enslaved, and brainwashed to a foreign bedoiun ideology. They think following the ways of the Bedouin is better than doing yoga and chilling at the beach.

The British came in at a time when pagan reconquesta was occurring. If the British did not take advantage at that right moment when India was weak, afghanistan would have been retaken and there would not have the social and security problems you have now in the subcontinent. There would have been no 9/11. Pakistan would not have the jihadi nuclear bomb.

The british kept the population pacified through force and money.

Asia went downhill during the battle of nahavand in 642 AD. Never been the same after that.

Also, Churchill did not like brown people.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,522,136 times
Collapse of Local administration. Police or military will take orders from whom? outgoing British controlled government or upcoming Indian / Pakistani civil servants. The army / civil servants were themselves moving from India-pakistan and vice-versa while british civil servants were leaving.
It became free-for-all when lumpen elements realised that there will be no punishment for riots and looting.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM

4,423 posts, read 1,676,659 times
I have talked to Indians who know practically nothing about the partition. Just as I have talked to African Americans (and of course white ones too) who know little about segregation and that era.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:22 AM

I have to talked to people of the islands of king phillip of spain whole practically know nothing about their prehispanic, prebedioun, pagan past and eskrima.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:28 AM

3,616 posts, read 1,560,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The most recent episode of Doctor Who revealed to me a part of world history I was unaware of, the partition of India. I knew the British ruled India and at some point India was divided with Pakistan being the new nation breaking off from the western part of India. I started looking up information on this part of history. I understand the negative sentiments many in the region held towards the British. What I donít understand is the violence carried out on both sides after the partition. Was it not true that Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims lived peacefully as neighbors for centuries? If this was true, then why the violence between these former neighbors? Was the loss of British rule the chance to settle old grudges between religious groups? Was it a chain reaction of an act followed by a retaliatory act?
Too weak and liberal Indian leadership, British's usual divide and rule tactics and mutual loss of trust between the religions caused the partition. I wouldnt blame the British completely. I do not know if they started the partition ideas because even in 1930's there were voices for a separate Muslim state by Muhammad Iqbal and MA Jinnah.

To control a mob you need Police but when British left people didnt know was in charge.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:15 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,398,939 times
There wasn't any peace between religions before the British took control of the subcontinent. The British actually had really good timing as India was in the process of throwing off the yoke of Islam. Islam is an ideology that is bent on enforcing itself over humanity at large (with no foreseeable reform) , and everyone else in India, be they Hindu, Sikh, Zoroastrian, whatever damn sure knows that. Partition was one of the best things to happen to India. The followers of the desert god (The Islamic/Abrahamic God) now have a country (two in fact!) to call their own and can enforce whatever miseries the desert god wills on his followers while the rest of Indians can live in freedom. I feel sorry for the people (non-followers of the desert god) who ended up on the wrong side of the border though. If anyone in India wants to live in a country founded upon the rules of the desert god, they should leave India and go to Pakistan or Bangladesh. If you look around the world, the followers of the desert god impose whatever rules THEY deem fit on non-believers wherever they hold power; where they don't hold power, they agitate and scream oppression and persecution despite whatever militant action THEY undertake, which demand response by authorities. I believe that India should accept anyone in Pakistan or Bangladesh who renounces the desert god as a refugee.

As for the British, they should have damn well left sooner. Access to British universities and introduction of western science and ideas was great, but the British were a bunch of two faced whores who'd whisper sweet things in your ear but ****ed you with a 20 foot ***** and robbed you blind. The British talked about things like citizenship and democracy, yet denied those very things to Indians.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 11-21-2018 at 09:49 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 601 times
Does it make sense, Wasting time in discussing to find out who is culprit. If you are really concern about these mishappenings then be prepare for the future. The future is warning us for pollution, population, poverty, hunger and we are discussing about 200 years back.

If you are really concern and want to show your gratitude, not to me, not to world, not to your country, not to your society but to your own home. Educate the right thing to new generation, let them understand the power of unity and coordination.

That is definitely going to be a big contribution for your society, for your country and for world.

Think about it.

Please excuse, if my voice has offended you.

William_rose (Indian)

Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_rose View Post
Does it make sense, Wasting time in discussing to find out who is culprit. If you are really concern about these mishappenings then be prepare for the future. The future is warning us for pollution, population, poverty, hunger and we are discussing about 200 years back.

If you are really concern and want to show your gratitude, not to me, not to world, not to your country, not to your society but to your own home. Educate the right thing to new generation, let them understand the power of unity and coordination.

That is definitely going to be a big contribution for your society, for your country and for world.

Think about it.

Please excuse, if my voice has offended you.

William_rose (Indian)

try preaching that to the followers of the foreign bedoiun ideology. They'll cut your balls off, rape you, and then cut your head off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or