U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 11:50 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,609,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
It isn't that necessary to build trains in China. Trains have been replacing airplanes in China, so why build trains if airplanes will do? Within a city one can go via bus.

The reason why there is pollution in China is that China's energy mostly comes from coal. China is trying to reduce coal factories and power plants in order to reduce pollution and CO2 emissions.
Airplanes are also subject to delays (weather related, congestion) that doesn't affect rail travel.

Heck, I decided to take a high speed rail trip from Shanghai and connect to my outbound flight in Beijing because flying in and out of Beijing can be a bit unpredictable in terms of punctuality.

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,470,378 times
It's not just about moving people around, it's about the country's transportation infrastructure for cargo. What was one of the crucial ingredients to U.S. economic expansion? The railway. Chinese government consciously studying history and learning from the successes and failures of other countries.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Airplanes are also subject to delays (weather related, congestion) that doesn't affect rail travel.

Heck, I decided to take a high speed rail trip from Shanghai and connect to my outbound flight in Beijing because flying in and out of Beijing can be a bit unpredictable in terms of punctuality.

I
Thats funny, we do something similar. Zhengzhou has a terrible record for delayed flights, so much so we take the train to Beijing and fly out of Beijing. Shanghai is good too, but we've never had bad experiences in Beijing. But we've had multiple missed flights, creating 24 hour delays until the flight leaves the next day whenever were fly out of Zhengzhou. Plus, trains leave directly from the town we are in and we don't have to get a ride to Zhengzhou, which is an hour minimum. We can take a bus and in 2 stops are at the train station. Less then 10 minutes. Which means we only get ready like 1 hour before the train leaves and not 3-4 hours before the flight leaves.

China has so many people and so many goods traveling, neither trains nor planes alone can handle their transportation needs, and thats why they have a lot of both.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:55 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,609,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Thats funny, we do something similar. Zhengzhou has a terrible record for delayed flights, so much so we take the train to Beijing and fly out of Beijing. Shanghai is good too, but we've never had bad experiences in Beijing. But we've had multiple missed flights, creating 24 hour delays until the flight leaves the next day whenever were fly out of Zhengzhou. Plus, trains leave directly from the town we are in and we don't have to get a ride to Zhengzhou, which is an hour minimum. We can take a bus and in 2 stops are at the train station. Less then 10 minutes. Which means we only get ready like 1 hour before the train leaves and not 3-4 hours before the flight leaves.

China has so many people and so many goods traveling, neither trains nor planes alone can handle their transportation needs, and thats why they have a lot of both.
That's a pretty common practice. How long is the rail trip from Zhengzhou to Beijing?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:24 AM

14 posts, read 5,729 times
Amazing.. the china is doing good.we have to also work on that.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Thats funny, we do something similar. Zhengzhou has a terrible record for delayed flights, so much so we take the train to Beijing and fly out of Beijing.
So you go on a 6-8 hour train ride to avoid a 6-hour delay?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:14 PM

1,151 posts, read 949,862 times
QIDb602's comment earlier reminded me of something an ABC (American Born Chinese) friend once told me: the best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship. I think it's probably true ... except that the benevolent guys don't live forever and we can only hope that whoever comes after will be as good.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
So you go on a 6-8 hour train ride to avoid a 6-hour delay?
It is only 2.5 hours from Zhengzhou to Beijing.
With 8 hours you can travel from Beijing to Guangzhou by train.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:44 AM

700 posts, read 142,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
QIDb602's comment earlier reminded me of something an ABC (American Born Chinese) friend once told me: the best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship. I think it's probably true ... except that the benevolent guys don't live forever and we can only hope that whoever comes after will be as good.
I am Chinese born Chinese living in America and I think in many ways a dictatorship can be good for large and poor countries, as shown by China's progress in recent years. The problem is that removing a dictatorship when a country becomes more wealthy isn't easy.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:45 PM

The problem with dictatorships is there's no checks and balances, so there's no guarantee of protection for the population.

The problem with capitalism as practiced by the U.S. is that there are no checks or balances to prevent individual entities from accumulating inordinate sums of wealth (and consequently power).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or