U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:02 PM

1,089 posts, read 477,308 times

Advertisements

High speed rail can bring places together, even when they are far apart. Look at the map below, China is building a giant tri-city metroplex. With high speed trains, it'd be one city. One can travel the longest distance between two points (75 miles) in less than 20 minutes. Beijing and Tianjin are already developed, and the third city of Xiong'an is being built for the future site of UN.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 06:39 PM

1,374 posts, read 632,466 times
China's high speed rail does prove that its possible to do it in a large country with lots of land.
US should focus on some populated corridors first like Northeast Corridor. Interesting despite being the busiest corridor they still haven't pioneered real high speed rail on it. The current Acela Express is a joke, costing $250(more than double the full fare Shinkansen in Japan for the same distance and the 2-3 times Amtrak northeast regional fare) just to get there 23 minutes faster!

In the northwest Washington state could pioneer the route between Oregon border to BC's border through Seattle.

In California they should build the first segment between Tijuana border crossing(with its own immigration clearance facility for both directions) and Los Angeles as now its the busiest rail corridor out west.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:59 PM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times
After visiting China recently, I would say that people are more civilized now compared to 20 years ago. People stay in line, not shouting. They still spit a lot though.

The train is clean because they have very good cleaning staff. Same for the street.

The train stations are designed very poorly. The Buying ticket area sometimes separated and are outside, some can be very far from the entrance. The ceiling is very high for no practical purpose and as the result, it is very cold inside. The gate and platform are very organized and easy to navigate though.

One interesting feature of Chinese high speed train is that the train can be oversold and you can buy standing ticket if there is no seat left.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The train stations are designed very poorly. The Buying ticket area sometimes separated and are outside, some can be very far from the entrance.
I don't know where you were at, but this is not true for Shanghai, Hangzhou or Deqing, where the ticket counters are adjacent to the waiting platform.

Quote:
One interesting feature of Chinese high speed train is that the train can be oversold and you can buy standing ticket if there is no seat left.
I don't know about that. One night I tried to buy a ticket for Deqing and was told they were sold out. They didn't offer me any standing tickets. I had to buy normal tickets for the following morning.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:08 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,609,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The problem with dictatorships is there's no checks and balances, so there's no guarantee of protection for the population.

The problem with capitalism as practiced by the U.S. is that there are no checks or balances to prevent individual entities from accumulating inordinate sums of wealth (and consequently power).
Also, having a dictatorship is not a guarantee that the government will pursue sound or logical policies that will benefit the populace. China is also a classic example of that. Look at the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution - as well as its more recent success in economic development.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you were at, but this is not true for Shanghai, Hangzhou or Deqing, where the ticket counters are adjacent to the waiting platform.

I don't know about that. One night I tried to buy a ticket for Deqing and was told they were sold out. They didn't offer me any standing tickets. I had to buy normal tickets for the following morning.
Yes Shanghai ticket counter is inside. Chengdu and Xian are outside.

They oversold to a point. They permit a certain number of standing tickets for each train. If those are sold old, then you are out of luck.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:03 AM

BTW, I don't see any freight trains during my trips by high speed trains (I took 8 different routes).

Are the high speed rail completely separate ? Not just the rail but different location?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:56 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Quote:
So you go on a 6-8 hour train ride to avoid a 6-hour delay?
No, I take the train so I don't hit a 24 hour delay. If I miss the next flight I have to wait an entire day which I have done and won't do again. With the train I can keep on schedule and don't have to worry about missing the connecting flight.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is only 2.5 hours from Zhengzhou to Beijing.
With 8 hours you can travel from Beijing to Guangzhou by train.
I think that is about right. We actually like to take the overnight train and just sleep on the way. Plus the high speed train doesn't leave from this town and we don't always want to go to Zhengzhou. Slow train takes longer, but we don't have to travel to a different city for the train or plane.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Perhaps they no longer do it for safety concerns, I always thought it was pretty bizarre. First time in China, we went from Shanghai to Zhengzhou and we didn't have a seat, but that was maybe 7-8 years ago. Haven't had the need to do that since since no train was full. Some of those cheap trains get super packed though, but we always buy a bed in advance.

I don't remember any train stations with counters outside either. Even smaller Henan cities have all had inside counters that I can recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or