U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2018, 11:53 PM
 
5,730 posts, read 2,313,681 times
Reputation: 5973

Advertisements

They think ahead and for the long term. They also have the will to do it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDoll8OEFE&app=desktop

Pretty amazing what they did in just 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2018, 12:36 AM
Status: "Re-edit status" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Was Midvalley Oregon; Now Eastside Seattle area
4,135 posts, read 1,886,778 times
Reputation: 3159
A bit crowded in coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Earth
4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
Reputation: 3355
they also stole the technology from siemens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 03:08 AM
 
Location: Seattle Area
700 posts, read 142,017 times
Reputation: 265
China values social benefits over money, yet their economy has grown tremendously over the same 10 years of building high-speed rail. Social benefits will be more important in the long run!

Also, part of the reason why is due to China's communism. Communism is able to make decisions quicker and also bring a larger work force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
China values social benefits over money, yet their economy has grown tremendously over the same 10 years of building high-speed rail. Social benefits will be more important in the long run!
Agreed about social benefits! It's still unfathomable to me that the U.S. doesn't see that. A healthy society can't be centered around 'securing your home and getting all of your information through TV' coupled with your only contact with the outside world consisting of drive-thru exchanges and Wal-Mart cashiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2018, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,854 posts, read 3,416,822 times
Reputation: 1801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Agreed about social benefits! It's still unfathomable to me that the U.S. doesn't see that. A healthy society can't be centered around 'securing your home and getting all of your information through TV' coupled with your only contact with the outside world consisting of drive-thru exchanges and Wal-Mart cashiers.
At one time, Americans did think about social benefits. The Van Sweringen Brothers for instance pretty much built up Shaker Heights, Ohio and connected it to Downtown Cleveland with a streetcar (now light rail) system. They did it primarily to make money but the positive externalities associated with the whole plan were enormous. It was a very good example of a planned community that benefited individuals of all ages and economic backgrounds. Many more examples of so called "streetcar suburbs" abound throughout the Eastern U.S. China on the other hand had a very hard time establishing social benefits a century to a century and a half ago. From the demise of the Qing Dynasty due to corruption and extreme complacency to the failed opportunities of the Nationalist Government during the Nanjing Decade, there were few examples of any government working together with both capitalists and ordinary citizens to make life better for everyone.
Then sometime in the last quarter of the 20th century, a switch flipped, China became more progressive, and America became a lot more complacent. I guess this happens to all societies. It's like a pendulum swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Iowa
2,773 posts, read 3,070,233 times
Reputation: 3400
Stands to reason when you have a crap load of people that need transportation, and your skies are choked with pollution, that everyone using cars is not going to work. The roads would all have to be 8 lane freeways to handle the traffic, too expensive, add to that, personal income levels are not high enough for the average Chinese person to afford a car. And many who would buy a car would get one of the models with zero safety equipment and accident deaths would be astronomical. It makes sense for them to invest in mass transit.

However, from my American perspective, there is no greater feeling of freedom and independence, than owning your own car and driving wherever you want, whenever you want. In America, the problem nobody wants to talk about with public transportation is the awkward or unpleasant social situations you can get into. The airlines are about the only example left of Americans having to deal with other people when traveling, the freaks, rude people, loud people, drunk people, scary people, smelly people. Everyone hates flying for that reason. Americans hate that, they want private compartments with a lock on the door so they can sit in peace and quiet. When the airlines, train and bus companies figure that out, you will see a great resurgence in public transportation. Those compartments also have to be comfortable, solid, have a window, and preferably have a little TV/monitor with internet access. Should have a decent sound system that won't disturb the passenger in the next compartment.

Last edited by mofford; 11-23-2018 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Arcadia, CA
131 posts, read 51,539 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Agreed about social benefits! It's still unfathomable to me that the U.S. doesn't see that. A healthy society can't be centered around 'securing your home and getting all of your information through TV' coupled with your only contact with the outside world consisting of drive-thru exchanges and Wal-Mart cashiers.
Why invest in public transportation when it is cheaper and more convenient to buy your own cars?

Although I believe US should invest more in public transportation, the convenience provided by car ownership makes it a hard sale to many Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Arcadia, CA
131 posts, read 51,539 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Stands to reason when you have a crap load of people that need transportation, and your skies are choked with pollution, that everyone using cars is not going to work. The roads would all have to be 8 lane freeways to handle the traffic, too expensive, add to that, personal income levels are not high enough for the average Chinese person to afford a car. And many who would buy a car would get one of the models with zero safety equipment and accident deaths would be astronomical. It makes sense for them to invest in mass transit.

However, from my American perspective, there is no greater feeling of freedom and independence, than owning your own car and driving wherever you want, whenever you want. In America, the problem nobody wants to talk about with public transportation is the awkward or unpleasant social situations you can get into. The airlines are about the only example left of Americans having to deal with other people when traveling, the freaks, rude people, loud people, drunk people, scary people, smelly people. Everyone hates flying for that reason. Americans hate that, they want private compartments with a lock on the door so they can sit in peace and quiet. When the airlines, train and bus companies figure that out, you will see a great resurgence in public transportation. Those compartments also have to be comfortable, solid, have a window, and preferably have a little TV/monitor with internet access. Should have a decent sound system that won't disturb the passenger in the next compartment.
I doubt most Americans would be able to or want to pay for that kind of services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 03:45 AM
 
Location: Australia
893 posts, read 327,146 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Stands to reason when you have a crap load of people that need transportation, and your skies are choked with pollution, that everyone using cars is not going to work. The roads would all have to be 8 lane freeways to handle the traffic, too expensive, add to that, personal income levels are not high enough for the average Chinese person to afford a car. And many who would buy a car would get one of the models with zero safety equipment and accident deaths would be astronomical. It makes sense for them to invest in mass transit.

However, from my American perspective, there is no greater feeling of freedom and independence, than owning your own car and driving wherever you want, whenever you want. In America, the problem nobody wants to talk about with public transportation is the awkward or unpleasant social situations you can get into. The airlines are about the only example left of Americans having to deal with other people when traveling, the freaks, rude people, loud people, drunk people, scary people, smelly people. Everyone hates flying for that reason. Americans hate that, they want private compartments with a lock on the door so they can sit in peace and quiet. When the airlines, train and bus companies figure that out, you will see a great resurgence in public transportation. Those compartments also have to be comfortable, solid, have a window, and preferably have a little TV/monitor with internet access. Should have a decent sound system that won't disturb the passenger in the next compartment.
Millions of Chinese do have cars and the freeways are many and often extremely busy. They have the same issues as we have, and you in the US have, of often long commutes, congestion and yes, the pollution can be bad.

We had a couple of trips on the newer high speed trains last year in China and they are excellent. We found the people were very courteous and the whole experience was excellent.

I do know what you mean about the social situations in the US when travelling on public transport. We have encountered a few scary situations.

The changes we have seen in China between our first visit in 1988 and our last one in 2017 are massive. I just wish we had trains like theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top