U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2018, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Warrior
44 posts, read 13,237 times
Reputation: 131

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
A country need to first gain a heavy dose of self-hate before adopting multiculturalism. I donīt think the Japanese are there yet or if they ever will be.

I remember my university days I caught a professor contradicting herself, but I didnīt brought it up. One day she said that it would be boring if everyone looks the same. A couple of months later she said that what counts is character and not appearances.

Why would someone think that if everyone looks the same it would be boring, but also that what makes humans interesting is their character? It seems contradicting to me because on the one hand she presents herself as being shallow and then she presents herself as the complete opposite given the same topic!

I should had asked that. Lol

I personally agree that what matters is whatīs on the inside. Thatīs why Iīm indifferent regarding what people look like. Iīm perfectly at ease in an environment full of homogenous people that look like me, full of homogenous people that donīt look like me, or in a diverse area. You canīt judge a personīs character by the skin they were born into.

I concur, with your sentiment. Granted, I don't have a problem with diversity but the call for forced diversity is what I have an issue with. You can have a society, a country that's homogeneous but have people be very different. Go to China, go to Japan you'll definitely encounter widely different people in the big cities. Here in the U.S., you can go to a suburban area that's very diverse in ethnicity but by and large it can be a rather quiet, boring town, where people just go about their daily lives. Just because it's diverse doesn't automatically make it fun or "spicey!".



I'm much more interested in someone's character rather than their looks. Granted, it's not to say someone can have a distinctive, "interesting" look and that'll peak my curiosity but for the most part, I don't bet on befriending because of their race.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
An extreme version of multiculturalism can make everywhere the same, which leads to "mono" not "multi".

Exactly. If the whole world becomes globalized and multicultural, then there won't be any reason to really travel other places for a taste of different cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2018, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post

I just worry about Japan taking in people who are Muslims and from heavy muslim countries in parts of Africa and the Middle East. And IF they happen to take Central Americans (which I don't see happening), many of these individuals can care less about integrating, I've found. Unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nah%C4%81vand


been going downhill since 642
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,654 posts, read 3,640,251 times
Reputation: 16568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
There has been talks of Japan bringing in more immigrants for their work force. And some (mostly people who tend to lean towards the far leftist spectrum of politics) call for Japan to be more "multicultural" and embracing and implementing "multiculturalism". In some ways I will say that Japan has already done this in that more people from around the world are traveling to and living in Japan more than ever. Especially foreigners who go there to teach English or who work for big companies. Not only that, hip-hop is huge in Japan.

Most liberals who blather on about "multiculturalism" and "diversity" tend to be both anti-American and anti-white, because they're always going on and on about wanting to import to America more non-American, non-white people. I haven't heard of any push to make Japan more multicultural, but if it's American liberals who are doing the pushing, you can bet that they don't want to see more white Americans move to Japan. If it's Japanese liberals who are doing it, I would have no idea who they'd want to import to satisfy their multicultural fetish.



Personally, I'd prefer that Japan remain Japanese, both racially and culturally. I see plenty of potential detriment to Japan become more diverse, and absolutely no benefit whatsoever. Yes, I'm aware that Japan's birth rate is way down; but I still don't see the benefit in slowly converting Japan from a nation of Japanese people to a nation of some other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,609,568 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Most liberals who blather on about "multiculturalism" and "diversity" tend to be both anti-American and anti-white, because they're always going on and on about wanting to import to America more non-American, non-white people. I haven't heard of any push to make Japan more multicultural, but if it's American liberals who are doing the pushing, you can bet that they don't want to see more white Americans move to Japan. If it's Japanese liberals who are doing it, I would have no idea who they'd want to import to satisfy their multicultural fetish.



Personally, I'd prefer that Japan remain Japanese, both racially and culturally. I see plenty of potential detriment to Japan become more diverse, and absolutely no benefit whatsoever. Yes, I'm aware that Japan's birth rate is way down; but I still don't see the benefit in slowly converting Japan from a nation of Japanese people to a nation of some other people.
Your comments are just strawman nonsense and hearsay, and it's yet another silly example of Americans trying to project their point of view or reference on to another country which just isn't applicable. Like trying to picture what Canadian province is a "red or blue" state. For some reasons, the Americans who do that are mostly right wing. Yeah, we get it that you have a problem with the demographic changes in the USA. Can't help you on that.

I happen to be American and non-white, and I don't care about "importing more non-American, non-white people". People come or don't come for their own reasons. I can't speak for others, but I just want my heritage to be recognized as part and parcel of the American heritage and not be "otherized".

What Japan does with their immigration policy is their business and I have never heard of others, liberals or others, pushing what you're saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,654 posts, read 3,640,251 times
Reputation: 16568
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Your comments are just strawman nonsense and hearsay, and it's yet another silly example of Americans trying to project their point of view or reference on to another country which just isn't applicable.

[. . .]

What Japan does with their immigration policy is their business and I have never heard of others, liberals or others, pushing what you're saying.
You might want to read what I wrote again, more slowly this time. You'll see that I'm not "pushing" anything. Instead, I'm responding to the OP's assertion that someone is encouraging Japan to embrace multiculturalism. Here's the relevant part of my response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I haven't heard of any push to make Japan more multicultural, but if it's American liberals who are doing the pushing, you can bet that they don't want to see more white Americans move to Japan. If it's Japanese liberals who are doing it, I would have no idea who they'd want to import to satisfy their multicultural fetish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Southeast AZ
61 posts, read 20,875 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
... For some reasons, the Americans who do that are mostly right wing. ...

Is this also hearsay or just your opinion? It doesn't appear to be a verifiable fact, unless you have some empirical data evidence supporting this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

Đ 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top