U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:51 AM

44 posts, read 13,237 times

Advertisements

There has been talks of Japan bringing in more immigrants for their work force. And some (mostly people who tend to lean towards the far leftist spectrum of politics) call for Japan to be more "multicultural" and embracing and implementing "multiculturalism". In some ways I will say that Japan has already done this in that more people from around the world are traveling to and living in Japan more than ever. Especially foreigners who go there to teach English or who work for big companies. Not only that, hip-hop is huge in Japan.

Personally, I don't think Japan needs to embrace needs to implement or embrace multiculturalism at all. In fact, I would say that it would do much better without it. If Japan starts taking in immigrants from around the world for the sake of "diversity", Japan will not only lose its identity of what makes Japan distinctive and unique; it'll lose its quality of life. Japans infrastructure will crumble and it what makes Japan work and so efficient will get dismantled.

Bringing in and housing many "economic" immigrants from certain parts of the world (Middle East or Africa), who have no interest in adhering to Japans way of life and simply have nothing in congruence with Japan; I cannot see working. Political correctness will run rampant and the immigrants who know nothing of Japan or don't care to know anything of Japan, will be the end of Japan.

Living in the U.S., I see a lot of this already. Of course, not all immigrants, not all. At the same time, I have seen many Central Americans and immigrants from the Middle East and South East Asia (mainly Pakistan and Afghanistan) who come here with any disregard as to where they are staying. Instead, they have a sense of entitlement and feel they should be catered to. If Japan makes the mistake of trying to house people who have nothing in congruence with the ways of Japan, we can see Japan gone within the new few decades. I believe so anyway.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:31 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,377,310 times
They do have some degree of multiculturism. On a flight from Tokyo to LA some time ago I had a conversation with the guy next to me. It turned out that he was born in India. When he was a child he said his parents immigrated to Japan.

It does seem to me however that multiculturism in Japan is not widely acceptable. For instance look at the long standing prejudice against people of Korean descent who sometimes change their Korean names to have better job prospects.

Another thing I found interesting and that would raise condemnation in the West is that some Japanese businesses specifically bar foreigners. This is evident in some local eating establishments and even in the adult oriented businesses that are for locals only.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
japan needs to speak english and drive on the other side of the road

Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,350,218 times
multiculturalism/Japan is oxymoron.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:16 PM

2,838 posts, read 3,764,651 times
For one, there's a gradient between taking in their neighboring Asians (Chinese, Koreans, Thai, Vietnamese) and people from further afield. I can see a future where Japan acquiescence's to taking in more Chinese (there's still plenty of poor Chinese) and SE Asians and them slowly but surely becoming "Japanese" as each generation passes. I don't think you're going to see masses of Africans, Brazillians, Indians or even Westerners descending on Japan anytime soon.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,168 posts, read 8,019,848 times
A country need to first gain a heavy dose of self-hate before adopting multiculturalism. I donīt think the Japanese are there yet or if they ever will be.

I remember my university days I caught a professor contradicting herself, but I didnīt brought it up. One day she said that it would be boring if everyone looks the same. A couple of months later she said that what counts is character and not appearances.

Why would someone think that if everyone looks the same it would be boring, but also that what makes humans interesting is their character? It seems contradicting to me because on the one hand she presents herself as being shallow and then she presents herself as the complete opposite given the same topic!

I should had asked that. Lol

I personally agree that what matters is whatīs on the inside. Thatīs why Iīm indifferent regarding what people look like. Iīm perfectly at ease in an environment full of homogenous people that look like me, full of homogenous people that donīt look like me, or in a diverse area. You canīt judge a personīs character by the skin they were born into.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-01-2018 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 01:52 AM

6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
An extreme version of multiculturalism can make everywhere the same, which leads to "mono" not "multi".

Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
They do have some degree of multiculturism. On a flight from Tokyo to LA some time ago I had a conversation with the guy next to me. It turned out that he was born in India. When he was a child he said his parents immigrated to Japan.

It does seem to me however that multiculturalism in Japan is not widely acceptable. For instance look at the long standing prejudice against people of Korean descent who sometimes change their Korean names to have better job prospects.

Another thing I found interesting and that would raise condemnation in the West is that some Japanese businesses specifically bar foreigners. This is evident in some local eating establishments and even in the adult oriented businesses that are for locals only.

Yes, indeed. Like I mentioned and for instance; hip-hop and low rider culture are big in Japan. Lots of western entertainment and culture is huge in Japan. As much as I have resentment for Islam, there's even a beautiful mosque in Tokyo. You go to Roppongi and there's many Nigerians and some Middle Easterners who reside in the area. What's telling about that is that you'll see security guards roaming around Roppongi at night but that's besides the point. And like you said, there's a good number of Indians who live and work in Tokyo. From my personal experience, Indians always tend to be pretty model immigrants but I digress. Tokyo compared to other cities in Japan has seemed to be more open to diversity and a lot of the younger generation are becoming more open to people around the world. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but if comes to the point of self hating (like many western nations) and a call for "embrace" of other cultures, I'll worry about Japan. Japan isn't nearly as politically correct but doesn't mean that the PC culture isn't trying to slither its way into Japan.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
japan needs to speak english and drive on the other side of the road

Bwaahaha!! They sure do

Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
For one, there's a gradient between taking in their neighboring Asians (Chinese, Koreans, Thai, Vietnamese) and people from further afield. I can see a future where Japan acquiescence's to taking in more Chinese (there's still plenty of poor Chinese) and SE Asians and them slowly but surely becoming "Japanese" as each generation passes. I don't think you're going to see masses of Africans, Brazillians, Indians or even Westerners descending on Japan anytime soon.

I will say westerners tend to have much more respect and consideration for other cultures. And Brazil and Japan have a very special and close relationship going many, many years back. In fact, outside of Japan, Brazil has the most Japanese population and many of those Brazilian-Japanese speak PURE Japanese that wasn't influenced by the west. So Brazilians I wouldn't worry too much about. And most westerners like in America, Canada, the U.K. for instace; tend to be very into Japanese culture and go to Japan for that. Things like anime, Japanese pro wrestling, arcades, martial arts, J-pop many westerners seek.

Africans have descended upon Tokyo, specifically Nigerians in Roppongi who scam people at bars and clubs. You can see them roaming up and down the strip trying to rip off unsuspecting or naive foreigners looking for "a good time". They even have signs up in some parts of Roppongi warning the Nigerians to "not grab" people into clubs and/or bars. Nigerians here in the U.S. and Canada tend to be model citizens from my experience and they have a high success rate in graduating high school and college. So it's a shame that they tend to partake in shady deals over in Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Indians have descended upon Japan, especially Tokyo. Like I mentioned in my last post, Indians are good immigrants and tend to assimilate and integrate into the countries they are in. They'll keep their customs and tradition but they definitely integrate well and you don't hear many things about them committing crime.

I just worry about Japan taking in people who are Muslims and from heavy muslim countries in parts of Africa and the Middle East. And IF they happen to take Central Americans (which I don't see happening), many of these individuals can care less about integrating, I've found. Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or