U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is HK more of?
More "Chinese" 27 90.00%
More "British" 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:35 PM

1,578 posts, read 556,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
To judge a country/society whether it is westernized does not solely depend on whether how many of its people speak English.

There are many core values in western culture, i.e. tolerance of others, whether it is speech or religion or others.

For example, most western countries accept LGBT. Though gay or lesbian marriage is not completely legalized among all western countries, same sex sexual activity is not illegal.

So let's look at how some Asian governments handle this issue:

(1) Singapore:

Same sex marriage illegal. Same sex sexual activity, even it is consensual and private, is illegal. Can be jailed up to 2 years.

(2) Hong Kong:

Same sex marriage illegal. But same sex marriage overseas can be admitted case by case basis. Same sex sexual activity legal.

(3) Taiwan:

Same sex marriage is a national issue that has recently been put through a plebiscite. Same sex sexual activity legal.

(4) Japan:

Same sex marriage illegal. But marriage overseas legal. Same sex sexual activity legal.

(5) South Korea:

Same sex marriage illegal. Same sex sexual activity legal.

On this issue, I would say Singapore is the least westernized among the more developed societies in Asia.

Not much different from Saudi Arabia albeit sentence is lighter.
What silliness. So a conservative state like Oklahoma is less westernized than a liberal state like California? Not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:46 PM

1,389 posts, read 565,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
What silliness. So a conservative state like Oklahoma is less westernized than a liberal state like California? Not buying it.
Before 2007, Singapore even banned oral and anal sex for heterosexual couples.

Typical George Orwell's Animal Farm. Big Brother was watching how you behaved in bedroom.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:54 PM

1,578 posts, read 556,905 times
Quote:

Typical George Orwell's Animal Farm. Big Brother was watching how you behaved in bedroom.
Oklahoma would gladly ban gay sex if it weren't for US federal law. Does that make Oklahoma less westernized than ultra liberal California?

Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 PM

10,073 posts, read 6,701,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I do believe much more Hong Kongers are able to understand/speak Mandarin after 97.

In the early 90s, many Hong Kong celebrities could not even make a coherent sentence in Mandarin, but now all of them speak Mandarin quite fluently, even though with some Cantonese accent. I also met some young people from Hong Kong and all of them speak decent Mandarin.

Of course they do not speak Mandarin every day, but many people in mainland China do not either.
Back in the 1980s, there were a fair number of local HK people who would castigate other ethnic Chinese visiting HK for not understanding or speaking Cantonese.

Nowadays, it is pretty necessary for local HK people to have at least a working knowledge of Mandarin otherwise they will be at a disadvantage professionally, and not just in the travel/hospitality field as previously.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:17 PM

4,589 posts, read 3,155,103 times
English is better

Old 12-28-2018, 04:24 PM

10,073 posts, read 6,701,756 times
Quote:

And they used to frown on men or youth with long hair back in the 1970s.

I think we need to define what is "Westernized" in this context. Maybe from the standpoint of a foreigner visiting Singapore, it is easy for them to get around and communicate. However, I think for most if not all Asian countries, the people may have on the surface international or Western appearances or practices, but at the core, they still maintain and hold on to their traditions.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,020,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I've been there seven times, all after 1997. Obviously it was more British before 1997, but last time I went (2014) I couldn't get around in just English. Had to speak in Cantonese and read Chinese in many contexts. We're talking about if Hong Kong NOW is really that westernized, not what Hong Kong WAS pre-1997.

Ok, fine, technically you can get around even in Japan or Taiwan with just English, given a translator/guide, but you get the point, Hong Kong is not that much more westernized than Japan or Taiwan after 1997.

I think many people are conflating Hong Kong with Singapore (the latter which is still very westernized, modern, and English-speaking to this day) and thus think HK is very westernized.
Being a 22.5 year old college student at UC Davis (your own words) you would have no experience with what Hong Kong was like before 1997...

Nobody is "conflating” Hong Kong with Singapore except you. You were the first person who brought it up...

Ian is 100% correct. Hong Kong has not changed significantly in the past couple decades. Politics have shifted, but the people and culture have not changed. Very Chinese, with British influence.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

144 posts, read 11,082 times
Only a few people in Taiwan would agree culturally Taiwan is more Japanese than Chinese.
I know the PRC flag is not flown in Taiwan, but to say Taiwan is culturally mostly Japanese is like an obvious liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or