U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM

1,157 posts, read 653,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Most people find it too chaotic! Man, my wife really wants to live there! We'll retire in Thailand in approx. 5 years. I'm lobbying for Chiang Mai. Little more mellow.

I could live in BKK but it would have to be out a ways. They did recently expand the BTS tho..
I couldn't live there because the traffic is insane, and the city is just very dirty and polluted. Plus, the small rapid transit system they have limits your ability to get around easily. The boat taxis were cool for a tourist like me, but again they are limited in scope and don't seem very practical for everyday use.

I can't wait to go back though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:17 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Quote:
Most people find it too chaotic! Man, my wife really wants to live there! We'll retire in Thailand in approx. 5 years. I'm lobbying for Chiang Mai. Little more mellow.

I could live in BKK but it would have to be out a ways. They did recently expand the BTS tho..
Nice! Where do you live now?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 PM

371 posts, read 284,002 times
Another vote for Bangkok here. It is a true backpackers paradise. Honorable mention to Kathmandu, and for a small city, I loved Galle, Sri Lanka.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:28 AM

891 posts, read 325,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Interesting list, I had never heard of Kota Kinabalu. I'm curious - what can you tell us about it?
We have stayed in Kota Kinabalu. It is very nice though hot, as you would expect from its location. Sabah has a different ethnic and religious mix to peninsular Malaysia, with many Christians and ethnic people from Borneo. English is widely spoken and the locals are very friendly. The food is excellent and the prices in the tourist segment are cheap. It is a centre for tourists heading to the rural parts of Sabah where you can view the wildlife and for tourists going to Mt Kinabalu.

But an enduring memory was its very civilised airport. People waited for their boarding instructions and followed them, unlike so many other places. KK was part of a really enjoyable holiday we had in Sabah.

However, for us, Hong Kong is our favourite Asian city. The scenery, the beautiful harbour, the great public transport, the food.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 AM

14 posts, read 5,721 times
India, There has a lot historical as well as a park. Eg: Tajmahal,Redford, Aaga Khan Palace, Nalanda University, Pink City... etc

Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 AM

802 posts, read 312,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Nice! Where do you live now?
Seattle WA

Old 12-19-2018, 09:35 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Quote:
Seattle WA
That's cool! Do you have any ties to Thailand? To Asia? I'm fascinated by people retiring to foreign lands without any connection...not sure if that is you though.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:40 PM

802 posts, read 312,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That's cool! Do you have any ties to Thailand? To Asia? I'm fascinated by people retiring to foreign lands without any connection...not sure if that is you though.

Interestingly my wife is Filipino but she has no desire to live in Phils there so that explains our connection to Asia. We've been married for 12 years. Our fascination with Thailand started 10 years ago. Instead of going back to Philippines to see her family, we decided to bring them over to Phuket because they'd never been out of the country.

In the process, my wife absolutely fell in love with Thailand.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:07 PM

149 posts, read 48,367 times
Seoul. I lived there for three years. Just so much to see and do, including people watching. Great public transportation. Lots of good food at inexpensive prices. And most Koreans were just so friendly and helpful.

Toronto. I visited for several days a long time ago. Folks were so friendly and nice. Lots of attractive women. Lots of specialty restaurants.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:28 PM

5,809 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I couldn't live there because the traffic is insane
Is it as insane as the traffic in Ho-Chi-Minh city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or