U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 03:32 PM

5,819 posts, read 9,470,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We have stayed in Kota Kinabalu. It is very nice though hot, as you would expect from its location. Sabah has a different ethnic and religious mix to peninsular Malaysia, with many Christians and ethnic people from Borneo. English is widely spoken and the locals are very friendly. The food is excellent and the prices in the tourist segment are cheap. It is a centre for tourists heading to the rural parts of Sabah where you can view the wildlife and for tourists going to Mt Kinabalu.
Sounds like a great next vacation destination for me.
Quote:
However, for us, Hong Kong is our favourite Asian city. The scenery, the beautiful harbour, the great public transport, the food.
The surroundings of HK are beautiful. I was there a couple months ago and went hiking on the Dragon Back ridge. Stunning scenery. .... The city, on the other hand, I wasn't particularly impressed with (except, as you say the public transporation was good).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 04:47 PM

806 posts, read 312,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Is it as insane as the traffic in Ho-Chi-Minh city?

I've been to both places. Ho Chi Minh is organized chaos. At least it flows because 90% of it is motorbikes. Bangkok is just plain gridlock busy.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 PM

188 posts, read 186,483 times
Manila, our beloved. Our scared and bruised city but still a Lotus in the mud...

The city with the richest history in Asia...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila

The most ethnically diverse city in Asia...

"The diversity here is immense such that I could go on forever trying to differentiate lands and peoples. There are Castilians from all provinces. There are Portuguese and Italians; Dutch, Greeks and Canary Islanders, and Mexican Indians. There are slaves from Africa brought by the Spaniards [Through America], and others brought by the Portuguese [Through India]. There is an African Moor with his turban here. There are Javanese from Java, Japanese and Bengalese from Bengal. Among all these people are the Chinese whose numbers here are untold and who outnumber everyone else. From China there are peoples so different from each other, and from provinces as distant, as Italy is from Spain. Finally, of the mestizos, the mixed-race people here, I cannot even write because in Manila there is no limit to combinations of peoples with peoples. This is in the city where all the buzz is."

(Remesal, 1629: 680-1)

The most scorned, shamed, unfairly attacked and constantly destroyed underrated city, yet picks herself up even after it was ruined by war 12 times and destroyed by scores of natural disasters.

From February 3 to March 3, 1945, Manila was the site of the bloodiest battle in the Pacific theater of World War II. Some 100,000 civilians were killed in February.[56] At the end of the battle, Manila was recaptured by joint American and Philippine troops. It was the second most devastated city in the world, after Warsaw, during the Second World War. Almost all of the structures in the city, particularly in Intramuros, were destroyed.

It was after this 12th time Manila was once again destroyed by war, was when the city earned the moniker "The City of Our Affections", a nickname given by National Artist and writer Nick Joaquin to Manila, in reference to the sublime spirit of resilience the city has had in the face of the constant wars that have razed it and also in repeatedly surviving and rebuilding despite being the second-most natural disaster prone city in the world. And unlike other cities that aim for wealth and get rich faster due to easier geography, the poverty and ruin found in wartorn and disaster-prone Manila, masks an inner spiritual strength that can only be earned and experienced if one lives and thrives in more difficult circumstances. Thus, making living in Manila, dear and precious, a labor of love, christening Manila as a "city of affections".

Manila, City of Man, City of Our Affections, nothing compares.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:49 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Interestingly my wife is Filipino but she has no desire to live in Phils there so that explains our connection to Asia. We've been married for 12 years. Our fascination with Thailand started 10 years ago. Instead of going back to Philippines to see her family, we decided to bring them over to Phuket because they'd never been out of the country.

In the process, my wife absolutely fell in love with Thailand.
I see. Well I hope you enjoy it and the transition goes smoothly!! Ironically I think we are kinda inverse to you all...if it were just me I would absolutely consider Thailand, but with my wife in the mix we'd probably stick to the more Chinese areas where we already like and have a lot of family/roots.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I see. Well I hope you enjoy it and the transition goes smoothly!! Ironically I think we are kinda inverse to you all...if it were just me I would absolutely consider Thailand, but with my wife in the mix we'd probably stick to the more Chinese areas where we already like and have a lot of family/roots.

My wife is an interesting case study LOL. She's from Southern Philippines and has a lot of Spanish blood in her family. So for many reasons, I think she's always felt a bit like an outsider in her country. She has a longer face, doesn't have the typical Filipino nose, has big round eyes. She still feels that she's not as accepted because she doesn't have the average Filipino appearance. She looks very Thai in fact.

That and often times, the brighter Filipinos can harbor a bit of resentment towards their own country. Cathy graduated from college with a bachelors in biology. Upon graduation, she got a job that paid only $300 a year. That was enough to afford a very run down apartment in Cebu with her sister. This is what prompted her to meet a potential mate overseas. That was me...15 years ago.

So even though many of her family still in Philippines, she has no desire to go back in visit, let alone live there. In Thailand, she can get all of her Asian culture and her family is only 3 hours away. Plus Thailand has so much more infrastructure compared to Phils. All of these reasons help add to why she loves Thailand.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:32 PM

386 posts, read 101,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
My wife is an interesting case study LOL. She's from Southern Philippines and has a lot of Spanish blood in her family. So for many reasons, I think she's always felt a bit like an outsider in her country. She has a longer face, doesn't have the typical Filipino nose, has big round eyes. She still feels that she's not as accepted because she doesn't have the average Filipino appearance. She looks very Thai in fact.

That and often times, the brighter Filipinos can harbor a bit of resentment towards their own country. Cathy graduated from college with a bachelors in biology. Upon graduation, she got a job that paid only $300 a year. That was enough to afford a very run down apartment in Cebu with her sister. This is what prompted her to meet a potential mate overseas. That was me...15 years ago.

So even though many of her family still in Philippines, she has no desire to go back in visit, let alone live there. In Thailand, she can get all of her Asian culture and her family is only 3 hours away. Plus Thailand has so much more infrastructure compared to Phils. All of these reasons help add to why she loves Thailand.

Your wife sounds delusional. How does she look Spanish-mixed and also look like a Thai person at the same time? Those are 2 completely different looks. I think you're both delusional. I think she just hates being Filipino.

Also, having a long nose and big eyes does not mean you're mixed with Spanish. Regular, native Filipinos have those features. They're very common even in the poorest areas.

And you can look at a Filipino DNA and see this. This woman has a long face, long nose and big eyes, but she's 100% Filipino with no Spanish admixture in her DNA.

That^ look is common in the Philippines, not in the wealthy areas, but in the poorer, more indigenous areas. And her DNA results are typical for a Filipino (65% East Asian & 35% Polynesian) So tell your wife that she's not mixed with Spanish. She's just a regular Filipino. If she looks Thai, then she also looks Filipino. The only difference between how Thais and Filipinos look is that Thais have more Chinese admixture.

Last edited by manolopo; 12-20-2018 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 05:19 PM

10,131 posts, read 11,869,273 times
Singapore for sure.
-Tropical
-Developed
-Excellent Food
-Excellent public transit
-Ethnically diverse

Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 PM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I couldn't live there because the traffic is insane, and the city is just very dirty and polluted. Plus, the small rapid transit system they have limits your ability to get around easily. The boat taxis were cool for a tourist like me, but again they are limited in scope and don't seem very practical for everyday use.

I can't wait to go back though!
Some good news is that Bangkok is in the midst of expanding both its subway and elevated rail lines. For reference, it currently has 69 miles of rapid rail transit in operation, but has 112 miles currently under construction, and another 153 miles planned for the near future.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 PM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
I don’t have a single favorite city, but do have a number of cities that I like and can see myself living in. So far the list in recent times has been Bangkok, Taipei, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Suzhou, Osaka, Nagoya, and Tokyo.

I’ve never been to South, Central, or Western Asia so I unfortunately can’t comment on those though there are a lot of interesting cities in the region that I’d love to visit.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Some good news is that Bangkok is in the midst of expanding both its subway and elevated rail lines. For reference, it currently has 69 miles of rapid rail transit in operation, but has 112 miles currently under construction, and another 153 miles planned for the near future.

That is really exciting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or