U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 979 times

Advertisements

Be it Big city or smaller town, what makes you enjoy such city so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 10:13 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Probably Shanghai. I've spent a substantial amount of time there for work and gotten to know the city well. There's a lot of things to do there, a lot of variety of activities, substantial nightlife and it's fun nightlife without the vices you see in other places. A clean city. No crime.

I also like Saigon (Ho-Chi-Minh) but didn't spend enough time there to know it well. A lot of bustle and activity. Dense living. A lot of neighborhoods with interesting architecture. Quirky, friendly people.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:47 PM

802 posts, read 312,859 times
Bangkok. I'd live there for the street food alone! Even for a middle aged married man, I enjoy the energy of the town. It's really second to none. Also love the fact that I can walk down almost any soi and know I'll be safe. Enjoy the fact that I can hop on the SkyTrain and be from one end of town to the other very quickly.

Also love the balance of Asia and the western world.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:38 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Hard for me to argue with Shanghai or Bangkok, like them both a lot. (Never been to HCMC)

Probably my biggest regret is not moving abroad when I was younger, even though I had the opportunity and resources to do so. If I could do it over again, I am pretty sure I would have chosen to start in Taipei. But I guess trying to exclude my biases based on family, roots, social and business networks and so forth, I would say my favorite place that I've visited is Seoul. Just something about it that was magical and offered most of the amenities and sensibilities of Japan but for some reason in a culture that I found more friendly and welcoming. Hard to really say why but I really loved Seoul.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:31 PM

1,019 posts, read 895,432 times
I've been to almost all cities in East/Southeast Asia. It really depends on what you like. For me, they're almost the same in these regards:
- congestion
- vibrancy
- landscape and street scape (I used to wake up one morning in my hotel, with a hang over and I looked out my window and it took me 1 minute or so to figure out which city I was).
- food (in terms of variety).

Are you just gonna visit for holidays? Bangkok is nice. Seoul and Tokyo are good choices too.
Are you gonna work? Singapore offers better quality of life.
Are you gonna retire? Penang and Kota Kinabalu are best bet.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I've liked different cities at different times. At the current time, I'm a bit more interested in Bangkok than I have been at other times.

But I've liked/preferred tons of other Asian cities at different times for different reasons.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I've been to almost all cities in East/Southeast Asia....
Are you just gonna visit for holidays? Bangkok is nice. Seoul and Tokyo are good choices too.
Are you gonna work? Singapore offers better quality of life.
Are you gonna retire? Penang and Kota Kinabalu are best bet.
Interesting list, I had never heard of Kota Kinabalu. I'm curious - what can you tell us about it?

Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM

1,019 posts, read 895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Interesting list, I had never heard of Kota Kinabalu. I'm curious - what can you tell us about it?
I haven't been there either but it is the biggest city in East Malaysia (in Borneo Island).

Kota Kinabalu was just regarded as one of the best places to retire for 2019.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 PM

1,158 posts, read 654,080 times
Bangkok! It's dirt cheap, and it's one of the best party cities in the world. I would go back in a heartbeat!

I would never want to live there though...

Old 12-18-2018, 03:03 PM

802 posts, read 312,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Bangkok! It's dirt cheap, and it's one of the best party cities in the world. I would go back in a heartbeat!

I would never want to live there though...

Most people find it too chaotic! Man, my wife really wants to live there! We'll retire in Thailand in approx. 5 years. I'm lobbying for Chiang Mai. Little more mellow.

I could live in BKK but it would have to be out a ways. They did recently expand the BTS tho..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or