U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 PM

44 posts, read 13,299 times

Advertisements

I know these two beaches/islands or vastly different and I intend to visit both at some point in my life. However, to make my decision for my summer trip, I want to pick some peoples brains who may have visited either of these places.

Okinawa

Has anyone ever visited the Okinawa Islands of Japan? I've been to lots of other parts of Japan which I enjoy very much but I've never been to Okinawa. I go to Japan about once a year and this time I'm thinking of going to Okinawa. Usually I make Tokyo my home base and venture out to other parts of Japan but again, I've never visited Okinawa.

From the research I've done it looks amazing and it looks beautiful. And if I go to Japan in the summer, and me being a beach person, I think it only makes sense to visit Okinawa. Plus, I LOVE Orion Okinawan beer. Okinawa for me would be more beach activities and exploring parts of the island. I don't think there's much or any of a party scene on the beach in the Okinawan islands, so I don't expect much in terms of partying. If there's something interesting, definitely fill me in but I'm more into being on the beach, swimming, diving, jumping, having a few nice cold beers.

Goa

I know, assume Goa's scene is much more of a drastic difference. I know its a big time party/rave area. Though I don't party or rave nearly as much nowadays, Goa has always been on my list of places to party before I die (cheesy I know). I'm not as interested in it as I was before but its obviously still of interest for me to post here. Anyone been? What's it like? How are the beaches of Goa?

Anyone been to both places? Thank you for your information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
I've been to both.

GOA. The party scene isn't worth it. The old town certainly is interesting though - Panaji, with the old Portuguese architecture, etc.

The parties in Goa are predominately drunk Indian men. The few women that are around, are usually higher-class and protect themselves well, they must. They will stay in their own isolated circles, or be accompanied by a husband/boyfriend.

If you are interested in partying with European - British or Russian in particular, you have a chance at that. They look so out of context on the beaches. They are the .05% that actually wear swimwear at the beach. Indian women never would, and Indian men usually walk into the ocean with all of their clothes, or strip down to their tighty-whitey underwear and wade in. Either way, it's not what you'd expect at a beach.

Goa DOES have loud techno and rave bars/clubs up and down the beach. Most of the customers are drunk Indian men though. They also socialize differently than how you'd be used to. They aren't use to drinking, so they act a bit like a teenager, even though they might be in their 30s, 40s or 50s. Many men will dance with other men, and think nothing of it. Again, probably because of the shortage of Indian women willing to risk putting themselves in a predominately drunk Indian male environment. I also got the feeling that since people don't drink much in India, in general, they don't have a good 'self-check' on themselves. Rape is quite high in India, in general, and I think any Indian woman wouldn't want to subject themselves to the possibility of that, and Goa seems like a place where it could happen.

You'll also hear the stories of a European woman sunbathing on the beach...and stories of some men coming from some far away part of India, hearing of girls in bikinis, and 'playing with themselves' while watching them sunbathe. Stuff like that. In short, it's not the best place to party. But, that being said, many tourists still think of it as a good place, so if you only want to party and meet other tourists, and you really want to see Goa/India, it might be a very acceptable combination. But, I think if you wanted to party with Europeans, it might be much better in Ibiza or somewhere?

OKINAWA. Yeah, not much of a party scene. It depends on how old you are, but I stayed in hostels, and Japan hostels have their own little party sometimes. I met some young Japanese who were staying in Okinawa and working in some of the 'girly bars' or whatever else. Stuff like that, and they'll often stay in the hostels. You can drink with them there in the hostel. Quite a few hostels everywhere in Japan. I find it sometimes better for meeting people, as the bars and clubs in Japan can be quite costly. Even if you can afford it, they are more catered towards business travelers, and it isn't always easy to meet Japanese people who aren't connected to working in a corporation. I mean, they exist, but yeah, Okinawa isn't known for it's nightlife.

They do have the typical bars like everywhere in Japan though, and because of the U.S. military influence, they do seem a bit more welcoming than other parts of Japan. I recall walking around in some of the nightlife areas, and having workers calling out for me to go inside. But, of course, they are places that will cost you a lot of money to drink, so that isn't always that great to take them up on their invitation.

Naha does have a city beach. There is a highway that goes over it, but ignoring that, it's quite beautiful, and the ocean is quite welcoming. A lot of U.S. military use that beach too. Also, throughout Okinawa, the Okinawa Taco is quite amazing! So is the Taco Rice. Basically, it is some strange hybrid of Tex-Mex food meets Japan and made a bit differently again. It is quite removed from the source of Mexico already, but gets more added twist. Well, the taco rice is rice mixed with things you'd typically find on tacos. The Okinawa Tacos are like a Tex-Mex taco, but they often fry the tortilla shell. Frying a tortilla shell and putting in taco ingredients is quite interesting in itself. That might be a U.S. South (frying stuff) meets Tex-Mex (tacos a little off from Mexico already)...and coming up with fried tortilla, etc.

Anyway, I'd opt for Okinawa over Goa. I'm hoping to get back to Okinawa again myself, whereas I have little to no interest in repeating Goa again. That being said, I did like India, and I'd certainly like to get back to India again.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 AM

44 posts, read 13,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been to both.

GOA. The party scene isn't worth it. The old town certainly is interesting though - Panaji, with the old Portuguese architecture, etc.

The parties in Goa are predominately drunk Indian men. The few women that are around, are usually higher-class and protect themselves well, they must. They will stay in their own isolated circles, or be accompanied by a husband/boyfriend.

If you are interested in partying with European - British or Russian in particular, you have a chance at that. They look so out of context on the beaches. They are the .05% that actually wear swimwear at the beach. Indian women never would, and Indian men usually walk into the ocean with all of their clothes, or strip down to their tighty-whitey underwear and wade in. Either way, it's not what you'd expect at a beach.

Goa DOES have loud techno and rave bars/clubs up and down the beach. Most of the customers are drunk Indian men though. They also socialize differently than how you'd be used to. They aren't use to drinking, so they act a bit like a teenager, even though they might be in their 30s, 40s or 50s. Many men will dance with other men, and think nothing of it. Again, probably because of the shortage of Indian women willing to risk putting themselves in a predominately drunk Indian male environment. I also got the feeling that since people don't drink much in India, in general, they don't have a good 'self-check' on themselves. Rape is quite high in India, in general, and I think any Indian woman wouldn't want to subject themselves to the possibility of that, and Goa seems like a place where it could happen.

You'll also hear the stories of a European woman sunbathing on the beach...and stories of some men coming from some far away part of India, hearing of girls in bikinis, and 'playing with themselves' while watching them sunbathe. Stuff like that. In short, it's not the best place to party. But, that being said, many tourists still think of it as a good place, so if you only want to party and meet other tourists, and you really want to see Goa/India, it might be a very acceptable combination. But, I think if you wanted to party with Europeans, it might be much better in Ibiza or somewhere?

OKINAWA. Yeah, not much of a party scene. It depends on how old you are, but I stayed in hostels, and Japan hostels have their own little party sometimes. I met some young Japanese who were staying in Okinawa and working in some of the 'girly bars' or whatever else. Stuff like that, and they'll often stay in the hostels. You can drink with them there in the hostel. Quite a few hostels everywhere in Japan. I find it sometimes better for meeting people, as the bars and clubs in Japan can be quite costly. Even if you can afford it, they are more catered towards business travelers, and it isn't always easy to meet Japanese people who aren't connected to working in a corporation. I mean, they exist, but yeah, Okinawa isn't known for it's nightlife.

They do have the typical bars like everywhere in Japan though, and because of the U.S. military influence, they do seem a bit more welcoming than other parts of Japan. I recall walking around in some of the nightlife areas, and having workers calling out for me to go inside. But, of course, they are places that will cost you a lot of money to drink, so that isn't always that great to take them up on their invitation.

Naha does have a city beach. There is a highway that goes over it, but ignoring that, it's quite beautiful, and the ocean is quite welcoming. A lot of U.S. military use that beach too. Also, throughout Okinawa, the Okinawa Taco is quite amazing! So is the Taco Rice. Basically, it is some strange hybrid of Tex-Mex food meets Japan and made a bit differently again. It is quite removed from the source of Mexico already, but gets more added twist. Well, the taco rice is rice mixed with things you'd typically find on tacos. The Okinawa Tacos are like a Tex-Mex taco, but they often fry the tortilla shell. Frying a tortilla shell and putting in taco ingredients is quite interesting in itself. That might be a U.S. South (frying stuff) meets Tex-Mex (tacos a little off from Mexico already)...and coming up with fried tortilla, etc.

Anyway, I'd opt for Okinawa over Goa. I'm hoping to get back to Okinawa again myself, whereas I have little to no interest in repeating Goa again. That being said, I did like India, and I'd certainly like to get back to India again.

You know, Ibiza has always been on my list as well! So while on the topic of it, have you been to Ibiza? Thinking about it now, I definitely prefer it over Goa, especially from everything you've mentioned thus far.

Thank you for your information! As for right now, I am being enticed by Okinawa more and more. Especially since I do have a friend who lives on one of the islands. Not a close friend but it is someone whom can show me around if they are in town. Plus, there's a few places in Okinawa that look interesting. Also, that Okinawa taco sounds DOWN RIGHT AMAZING.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:34 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
You know, Ibiza has always been on my list as well! So while on the topic of it, have you been to Ibiza? Thinking about it now, I definitely prefer it over Goa, especially from everything you've mentioned thus far.

Thank you for your information! As for right now, I am being enticed by Okinawa more and more. Especially since I do have a friend who lives on one of the islands. Not a close friend but it is someone whom can show me around if they are in town. Plus, there's a few places in Okinawa that look interesting. Also, that Okinawa taco sounds DOWN RIGHT AMAZING.
I haven't been to Ibiza....been close though! I used to live in Spain.

Okinawa...yep, I'd like to get back there myself. The best thing about those Okinawa Tacos is they also have a lot of variation. I was walking up and down the main street in Naha, and trying different ones in different shops....they go great with beer as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia