U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2018, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,297 posts, read 3,396,524 times
Reputation: 2033

Advertisements

The idea that China will become more liberal with friendlier relations, investment, and trade was a gross miscalculation on the part of the U.S. Xi has shown his stripes. It's high time to fix that error and take away the CCP's mandate of heaven. We fed the tiger, now it's time to starve the beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2018, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,515 posts, read 3,095,891 times
Reputation: 3356
trump blinked when it came to confronting china


I just try not to buy as little as made in china products as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:02 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,392 posts, read 1,666,771 times
Reputation: 7992
So, it will be better when China has exactly two parties, both of which are absolutely committed without dissent to exactly the same form of capitalist economy, represented by power-abusing congressmen who differ only in tabloid personality and possess no expertise, who shut down the government in a petty squabble over $15 per person for a symbolic wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
just the opposite. mainland chinese are the most civilized compared to those from other parts of world
*chortle*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
just the opposite. mainland chinese are the most civilized compared to those from other parts of world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,515 posts, read 3,095,891 times
Reputation: 3356
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
So, it will be better when China has exactly two parties, both of which are absolutely committed without dissent to exactly the same form of capitalist economy, represented by power-abusing congressmen who differ only in tabloid personality and possess no expertise, who shut down the government in a petty squabble over $15 per person for a symbolic wall.

yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,356 posts, read 546,239 times
Reputation: 1102
Actually the theory is right. Chinese people desire political freedom after they achieve economic freedom and social freedom. But they don't pursue political freedom at home, but abroad.

Most nouveau riche in China try to immigrate to countries like US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and UK where there are more political freedom. Do you see anyone from China immigrate to North Korea where there is zero political freedom?

In Chinese history, most regime changes had been very bloody (with the exception of Qing => ROC with relatively less bloodshed). So these newly rich don't want to take the risk and choose the easier option -- immigrate to western countries by whatever means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 04:50 AM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Actually the theory is right. Chinese people desire political freedom after they achieve economic freedom and social freedom. But they don't pursue political freedom at home, but abroad.

Most nouveau riche in China try to immigrate to countries like US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and UK where there are more political freedom. Do you see anyone from China immigrate to North Korea where there is zero political freedom?

In Chinese history, most regime changes had been very bloody (with the exception of Qing => ROC with relatively less bloodshed). So these newly rich don't want to take the risk and choose the easier option -- immigrate to western countries by whatever means.
Can you prove nouveau riche move to western countries in order to pursue "political freedom"?
North Korea is a bad argument because it is dirt poor.

Singapore has limited political freedom (compared to western countries) but many Chinese move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Reputation: 11309
I don't think that a very large number of wealthy Chinese people move abroad because of political freedoms. Most Mainland Chinese I've ever met are generally fairly apolitical.

Most of the ones I meet who to prefer life abroad prefer it because of the lifestyle, such as economic or educational opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The idea that China will become more liberal with friendlier relations, investment, and trade was a gross miscalculation on the part of the U.S. Xi has shown his stripes. It's high time to fix that error and take away the CCP's mandate of heaven. We fed the tiger, now it's time to starve the beast.
I have to be careful what I say because I am still in China, and things are quite sensitive these days...

Basically everyone, even in the gov't here, agrees that we're in for a rough ride in the coming years as China simultaneously grapples with a cooling/correcting economy and measures to re-centralize power via society and the economy. Of all major nations, China is probably better equipped to handle the difficulties facing it within its own legal and cultural frameworks - the US or EU are facing issues with a divided public and there isn't much that they can do to rein in either end of the social-political spectrum.

I have a vested interest in China's continued success, in no small part since my business, family, and life are centered here. But, I think that China played its hand a decade early in terms of its projections of strength and exceptionalism abroad; had it waited, then I think that much of what it's trying to achieve in global influence would have been a given. Because of how things are playing out now, it can still achieve its goals, but it's going to be more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top