U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:40 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
They didn't really play their hands early. GW Bush actually planned to pivot to confronting China early in his administration but 9-11 happened and the Middle East took priority. A confrontation with the US was going to happen regardless and playing their hand right now isn't really a bad option for China because almost all of America's allies are in complete disarray (EU is a disaster and Shinzo Abe is an overrated leader). Also, Chinese influence in the Western world is going to remain at zero for the entire century regardless of the situation and I think the vast majority of Chinese leaders realize that. China will probably have massive influence in Africa (and maybe the Middle East) and Southeast Asia will probably be under its hegemony but outside of those regions, they are going to be limited and they will probably just try to consolidate their gains rather than expand further.
What I mean by my statement is that they could have waited longer to consolidate influence around the world as a peaceful and benevolent alternative to the US, rather than showing their teeth, be that via military or economic pressure. Its projections of belligerence and exception work well at home, but make other nations grimace and grit their teeth. The lines of influence it holds globally are not very mature and could be undone relatively quickly if it fails to navigate the current situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's obviously none of my business but if it was me I would try to leave while I could. I think many foreigners have left or are planning to leave (like those youtubers in China, Serpentza or VD something). Things are not looking too good these days, especially not in China, to put it mildly.
Yeah, there has been a net loss of foreigners this last year and I've personally seen a lot of expats here, including settled long-time residents, head back home or to other countries. Most of that is due to economic issues, i.e. relatively stagnant pay (many expat salaries are the same as they were when I came here exactly 5 years ago today) versus exponential COL increases in the cities (rent has increased 100-200% in some places).

We plan to relocate back to the US, or perhaps a third country, full-time in a couple years. We will still be in and out of China for the rest of our lives due to business and family, but while we can deal with the ups and downs or the pollution, we have to ask ourselves if this is the reality we want our daughter to grow up in.

As of this moment we are having a harder time saying "yes" to this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or