Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,779 times

Advertisements

I guess this is just the visayan in me talking...but I think Visayas and Mindanao will be better off if we cut off ties with Metro Manila and create our own Singapore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
That would be about half the area of the Philippines, a territory as large as the whole of West Malaysia. Hardly a potential counterpart to Singapore. You're basically saying turn the whole Philippines into a Singapore, after kicking out Luzon. Hard to see a silver lining in that strategy. More likely, Lozon would become the Singapore, without having to drag along the rest of the islands.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That would be about half the area of the Philippines, a territory as large as the whole of West Malaysia. Hardly a potential counterpart to Singapore. You're basically saying turn the whole Philippines into a Singapore, after kicking out Luzon. Hard to see a silver lining in that strategy. More likely, Lozon would become the Singapore, without having to drag along the rest of the islands.
considering most of the natural resources is in Visayas/Mindanao
plenty of untapped oil/ gold/ and other resources....

visayas and mindanao is much cleaner then luzon....and less loopholes to do business(not as much corruption as metro manila)

plenty of visayans and mindanaons moved to US, Japan, etc
intice them to move back with the know hows that they learned in those countries

Cebu would be the new capital

as a newely seceded country...the new vismin country will be more friendlier with China then the previous Manila govt

Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Just the thought of any part of the Philippines thinking they could be a copy of Singapore is just too funny. Singapore is what you get when you take the Chinese traits and attitudes towards working and business and enforce them upon a small territory with an extremely favorable location advantage and stick with it for many decades. How would any part of the Philippines even approach such a concept?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
folks in Mindanao want to separate from the Philippines, so what makes you think that they would join the Visayas and start a country? They don't want anything to do with the rest of the Philippines. If any part of the Philippines separates, it'll be Mindanao. But I don't see that happening

Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Just the thought of any part of the Philippines thinking they could be a copy of Singapore is just too funny. Singapore is what you get when you take the Chinese traits and attitudes towards working and business and enforce them upon a small territory with an extremely favorable location advantage and stick with it for many decades. How would any part of the Philippines even approach such a concept?
you obviously dont know much about areas outside of the Luzon power zone

Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
folks in Mindanao want to separate from the Philippines, so what makes you think that they would join the Visayas and start a country? They don't want anything to do with the rest of the Philippines. If any part of the Philippines separates, it'll be Mindanao. But I don't see that happening
I believe its just Sulu Region and southern mindanao who want to secede....we shall give in to their demands and keep central and northern mindanao

Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
considering most of the natural resources is in Visayas/Mindanao
plenty of untapped oil/ gold/ and other resources....

visayas and mindanao is much cleaner then luzon....and less loopholes to do business(not as much corruption as metro manila)

plenty of visayans and mindanaons moved to US, Japan, etc
intice them to move back with the know hows that they learned in those countries

Cebu would be the new capital

as a newely seceded country...the new vismin country will be more friendlier with China then the previous Manila govt
Singapore didn't really thrive on natural resources, because they basically have none save for the important one of being directly in the path of a major shipping route that can't really be bettered unless they cut a canal through the malay peninsula. The areas you're talking about have no particular primacy in terms of shipping routes. Maybe they could do well, but who knows.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Singapore didn't really thrive on natural resources, because they basically have none save for the important one of being directly in the path of a major shipping route that can't really be bettered unless they cut a canal through the malay peninsula. The areas you're talking about have no particular primacy in terms of shipping routes. Maybe they could do well, but who knows.
Cebu Davao, Iloilo

good deep harbor ports with easy access to SEAsia and China

Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I believe its just Sulu Region and southern mindanao who want to secede....we shall give in to their demands and keep central and northern mindanao
i'd rather have that happen too. i cant have the whole mindanao secede from the country as my mom's family (whom i'm closer to) come from northern mindanao. i love my mom's hometown too much. and it's only the sulu and southern mindanao regions that have always caused the rest of the country trouble anyway. let them secede and be a part of borneo/indonesia, their muslim brothers. and yes, i will get a lot of flak for saying this, but the muslims have caused more trouble than necessary. let them be their own sovereignty (like what the US have done with the native americans), and let's see how well they'll manage on their own.

and as much as i love my hometown of cebu, i'd rather keep it as the second most important city in the country than being the capital. i dont want it to get as crazy and messy as manila. i want it to be the austin (although it's capital of texas, but it's considerably more laidback than dallas) to manila's dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia