Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about American China-bashing:

Commentary: Washington's smear campaign against China is failing - Xinhua | English.news.cn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 02:54 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
LOL...Xinhuat, as the official state run newspaper, is not exactly an unbiased news source. It sounds like they are taking it personal. The current US president actually is on record as admiring China's approach to business and trade (well, except for the stealing of technology), but not at the expense of US business.

As Michael Corleone used to say "It's nothing personal, it's strictly business"

Old 04-16-2019, 03:29 PM

Xinhua is not more biased than Western media... They quote specific people as saying specific things, which allows everyone to check what is written.

China has a couple of long-term advantages, it is along with India by far the biggest country, i.e. market and pool, in the world, each almost 5 times as big as the US. They are already huge economically, and that with a big part of society not even participating in the modern economy, yet. The Chinese are on average more intelligent than the average person in the West. They have a very long history and old civilization, and the resulting self-esteem. 92% of the population belong to the same ethnic group. They don't have to waste time and energy on democracy (look at the never-ending elections in India currently, and the rifts and tensions election results are causing)...

I think it's fair to say that the Chinese are only getting started, just wait till the older, little educated generations have died.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Xinhua is not more biased than Western media... They quote specific people as saying specific things, which allows everyone to check what is written.

China has a couple of long-term advantages, it is along with India by far the biggest country, i.e. market and pool, in the world, each almost 5 times as big as the US. They are already huge economically, and that with a big part of society not even participating in the modern economy, yet. The Chinese are on average more intelligent than the average person in the West. They have a very long history and old civilization, and the resulting self-esteem. 92% of the population belong to the same ethnic group. They don't have to waste time and energy on democracy (look at the never-ending elections in India currently, and the rifts and tensions election results are causing)...

I think it's fair to say that the Chinese are only getting started, just wait till the older, little educated generations have died.
I have a few reservations but in general I agree with you.
I go there for business, you know what impressed me? Besides all the city dwellers with cell phones, the fashion shops, the modern cars. I was at a train station - I was trying to figure out how the baggage storage worked. No problem - baggage handler spoke English....a baggage handler. I have trouble in some American cities finding a baggage handler that speaks English.

If they only teach the taxi drivers not to spit out the window while driving, they would be ready to conquer the world economically.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:27 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
India is going to overtake China in the population department. Unfortunately for them, the country has too many roadblocks that are preventing it from developing further.

The US and China are likely to share superpower status in the future.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have a few reservations but in general I agree with you.
I go there for business, you know what impressed me? Besides all the city dwellers with cell phones, the fashion shops, the modern cars. I was at a train station - I was trying to figure out how the baggage storage worked. No problem - baggage handler spoke English....a baggage handler. I have trouble in some American cities finding a baggage handler that speaks English.

If they only teach the taxi drivers not to spit out the window while driving, they would be ready to conquer the world economically.
China's countryside is also rather nice, some of it spectacular. If I remember correctly the landscape for the movie Avatar was inspired by a Chinese region.

There are also very modern cities most people in the West have never heard of. The West tends to focus on what it considers negative things because everything positive doesn't combine with the China-bashing.

Yes, I hate the spitting, it's disgusting, here in Portugal people do that as well, especially older ones. There have been campaigns to make people stop that. But old habits...

Regarding your train experience, they have an impressive rail system by now, and they keep building. They are very efficient by now, 40 miles of tracks in two weeks I read somewhere.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Found the Avatar landscape, it is called Zhangjiajie:

Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM

The new Wuhan bullet train station, crazy

Old 04-17-2019, 10:33 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:

That was an extremely rosy analysis of modern China. Not sure how accurate it is but I suppose it's good to have a hero.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM

Well, like every country the Chinese also have their problems, but unlike the Europeans or Americans they try to solve them, instead of postponing things forever and getting lost in political disputes.
And yes, it may not be common for a Western person to say this openly, but I am very impressed with China and I wish them all the best I wish we had politicians with a vision here in Portugal, too, it would not be such a backwards dump...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia