Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,414 times

Advertisements

1. Qingdao

I only visited a few times but the German architecture blended with Chinese culture was so crazy for me.

2. Harbin

During the winter...breathtaking ice sculptures

3. Shanghai

It was my home away from home. I had everything that I needed to function as a westerner in Asia.

4. Beijing

It is the capital. I met a lot of great people over the few months I spent there.

5. Guangzhou

It is big city with good exposure to Cantonese and south Chinese culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
As mentioned above, I've been several times to Shanghai and immediate surroundings (Hangzhou, Suzhou, and some of the smaller townships between the cities). But I'm interested in visiting Xi'an. Anyone here been there?

As posted earlier, been there once as a tourist. Top tourist attractions there are the Terra Cotta Warriors/Mausoleum of Emperor Qin Shihuang and the Bell Tower.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:11 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
As posted earlier, been there once as a tourist. Top tourist attractions there are the Terra Cotta Warriors/Mausoleum of Emperor Qin Shihuang and the Bell Tower.
What's the city like? Were the terra cotta warriors interesting? What about the rest of the city?

Old 06-25-2019, 03:37 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,902 times
Urumqi is okay, hot but dry in summer. It has a big sky like Montana. The nearby Heavenly Lake with Tian Shan as background looks like Switzerland. The Kazakh herdsmen are friendly. (I went in early '80s which was less of a tourist trap back then)

Old 06-27-2019, 06:02 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times
Quote:
What's the city like? Were the terra cotta warriors interesting? What about the rest of the city?

Xi'an has a very rich history. If you are interested in Chinese history, it's one the places that you must visit. The Tang and Han dynasties had their capital here, and both are considered the greatest points of Chinese history.

The Terra Cotta Warriors are indeed very interesting. There are so many of them, and each one is unique. They're made just to be buried with Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China. He was the one who conquered the small kingdoms and after that unification, China became an "empire". The Qin kingdom had their capital here. This was all rediscovered and excavated after the Cultural Revolution, and there are still parts that remain unexcavated. This explains why it has been preserved and lasted to this day, despite being more than 2000 years old.

Chang'an (the old name of Xi'an) is also the start of the Silk Road during the Tang Dynasty. It was the largest city in the world at that time. The modern city is still big and is still a very important cultural and educational center, with reputable universities located in the city. However, its heyday were during those days when trading was largely done using caravans crossing mountains and deserts. The city is inland, and as modern shipping is usually done with ocean/sea freight, it lost some of its former glory to the cities to the east on the coast.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Xi'an has a very rich history. If you are interested in Chinese history, it's one the places that you must visit.
You make a good case for visiting Xi'an. I think I'll plan to do that within the next couple of years.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:49 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
You make a good case for visiting Xi'an. I think I'll plan to do that within the next couple of years.
I've also heard great things about Xi'an....

Old 07-06-2019, 10:04 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,968,809 times
I have been reading about Changsha the capital of Hunan. My neighbor I hang out with at my condo pool is from there. I was eating Hunan style food way before Thai food. He said the four super cities are Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Shenzen.... but that is mostly size based. South China seemed to have the most attractive ladies.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Suzhou is a pretty cool-looking city...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD8r59oKgvE

Old 08-19-2019, 02:10 PM

I have been in Suzhou. We drove there from Shanghai and went straight to the "Old Town/Garden" (or whatever it's called.) The garden was nice. The immediately adjacent market street was interesting. I did not see any of the rest of the city except for a small bit driving to the garden. It looked like a normal, typical Chinese city to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia