Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:50 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times

Advertisements

I am really curious about this because Asians in the US seem really liberal and tolerant of the LGBT community, especially on the west coast (SF/LA) and maybe even NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 03:56 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Most people in Asia simply don't really care about LGBT, nobody wants to intrude their bedroom and charge them with homosexuality(it's not illegal after all). But on the other hand, there's a lot of more important things to take care of, people are starving, poison food, dirty air, etc. Whether same-sex marriage should exist is of no concern for 99% of the population.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
In China sexuality (including homosexuality) is not really discussed in media. No matter what you do, nobody cares.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Bhutan just decriminalized homosexuality. Stay tuned for further developments there.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:15 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China sexuality (including homosexuality) is not really discussed in media. No matter what you do, nobody cares.
Of course it's not discussed in the media. It's banned in the media. I guess the government cares enough to ban it.

Quote:
Bhutan just decriminalized homosexuality. Stay tuned for further developments there.
Decriminalising homosexuality in 2019 is hardly something to celebrate.

Quote:
I am really curious about this because Asians in the US seem really liberal and tolerant of the LGBT community, especially on the west coast (SF/LA) and maybe even NYC.
I think the simple answer is that Asia is very backwards.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:49 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
It's interesting, while I was just your average "lost tourist" in Korea and Japan and never cared about lgbt but looking at their tv/shows it's almost hilarious. Look at one show called "hello councellor", it's korean/subbed and out of the hundreds of episodes they've made you won't find one about homosexuality..and the subject of the who is about 'sensitive social issues'.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Of course it's not discussed in the media. It's banned in the media. I guess the government cares enough to ban it.

It is NOT banned and you can talk about it online, on newspaper etc.
A recent policy says such movies and TV series should not be made, but the rule only applied several years ago. And their target is mainly children.
Before that, even CCTV made pro-gay documentations too. However, people do not really care much.

Even if you consider it a ban, it is not limited to homosexuality. Any "unusual sexual content" is banned.
In fact I think American TV programs are too liberal in this regard, but it is not relevant here.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

I dont think China is backward. It decriminalized homosexuality awhile a go and it also was removed from the list of mental illness. It is not allowed on tv because most sexual related things like prostitution etc and other sexual deviancy are not allowed. So in a way, China is currently puritanical but it's not homophobic like the muslims are, or like even the Russians.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:17 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
No one is going around China bashing gays like it's happening in parts of africa or in the muslim world, or in the US as recently as the late 90's......it's more a family issue where parents freak out because they think they can't hold grandkidsm if their sons and daughters are gay. China is only backward in the sense that every chan wong and li think they need to make babies for the next generation...as if there aren't enough Chinese already and somehow their family genes are so important to be preserved and passed on. Beyond that the Chinese dont have anything against gays. They certainly dont have the stupid one god smiting gays myths in old superstitious old fantasy texts like the judeo-Christian-muslims folks and their bibles/torahs qurans have.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It's interesting, while I was just your average "lost tourist" in Korea and Japan and never cared about lgbt but looking at their tv/shows it's almost hilarious. Look at one show called "hello councellor", it's korean/subbed and out of the hundreds of episodes they've made you won't find one about homosexuality..and the subject of the who is about 'sensitive social issues'.
Japan has a huge yaoi market and production so it's not the same as Korea. Korea is much, much more homophobic it's not even close.

Quote:
It is NOT banned and you can talk about it online, on newspaper etc.
Your standards with regard to censorship are remarkably low. Not that I'm surprised.

Quote:
A recent policy says such movies and TV series should not be made, but the rule only applied several years ago. And their target is mainly children.
So it went from backwards to even more backwards.

Quote:
Even if you consider it a ban, it is not limited to homosexuality. Any "unusual sexual content" is banned.
In fact I think American TV programs are too liberal in this regard, but it is not relevant here.
Just admit that China is very homophobic. I don't get the mentality of agreeing that homosexuality is "unusual" or "deviant" yet still refusing to be labeled homophobic. It's like you want to have the cake and eat it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I dont think China is backward. It decriminalized homosexuality awhile a go and it also was removed from the list of mental illness. It is not allowed on tv because most sexual related things like prostitution etc and other sexual deviancy are not allowed. So in a way, China is currently puritanical but it's not homophobic like the muslims are, or like even the Russians.
Let me get this straight (pun intended): Airing heterosexual content while disallowing homosexual content is simply puritanical, and not homophobic.

Impeccable logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia