Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times

Advertisements

i've heard that they have a "one child" policy to stem the growth, but how did it get to be over a billion ppl? did everybody have like 15 kids prior to the "one child" policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,731,918 times
You have to look at Chinese's 5000 years old history. In the past, Chinese emperors, noblemen, and rich men had concubines. The richer and higher their position in society, the more concubines they had, so one household will have a litter of kids running around, legitimate or not. This was combined with their believe that more children meant more blessings. This is because Chinese culture (to this day) believes that senior citizens should be taken care of by their grown children when they grow old (this includes parents, grandparents & older relatives who have nobody to rely on). So children were their parents' retirement safety net, and they played it safe by having many kids, in case a few couldn't make it because of illness, fatal accidents, or just didn't turn out to be capable of taking on such financial & moral burden. This believe actually were held by most Asians, not just Chinese, in the past.

A bit off topic, although modern chinese finally realizes that many kids doesn't always bring more blessings, they still hold on to the believe of respecting and honoring their duty to take care of their elderly, even after some of them immigrated to western countries. That's why you'll be hard pressed to find Chinese senior citizens in old folks' homes in the US or Europe. It's considered dishonorable and ungrateful to do such a thing to your parents in Chinese culture.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,731,918 times
I also wanted to point out that US is not far behind in the list of world's most populated country either. We are no. 3 behind China & India on the list.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,238 times
They have a lot of sex in China.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:57 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,257,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I also wanted to point out that US is not far behind in the list of world's most populated country either. We are no. 3 behind China & India on the list.

True, but China and India both have approximately 1 billion people. We've got about 300 million. That's far behind by my standards.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:43 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
I heard that it was 350 million. At the rate things are going they will hit a billion in just a few years (50) Wow Fortunately I won't be there at the time.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
China for most of its history was a pretty prosperous place

Whenever they were ruled by a foreign power they normally just absorbed them in and assimilated them into the chinese culture

They have always had lots of good food there for the most part, so their population has actually always been the most out of all the races.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 AM

469 posts, read 2,735,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I heard that it was 350 million. At the rate things are going they will hit a billion in just a few years (50) Wow Fortunately I won't be there at the time.
According to the U.S. POPClock Projection at the time I checked it, the US population was about 303,887,285. We will be far from hitting a billion in 50 years -- This study projects the US population will hit 438 million by 2050. Our fertility rate as of 2007 was 2.09 children per woman, which is just above replacement level, and yet is high for an industrialized nation. Immigration keeps our population boosted, but second-generation immigrants tend to have smaller and smaller families, just like their long-settled peers.

Poor countries tend to have extremely high fertility rates due to a number of factors: little or no access to birth control, traditional societies that emphasize a woman's place in the home, high mortality rates among children prompting parents to have lots of kids in order to get a couple that will live, etc. China, because of their One Child Policy, has been trying to keep a cap on their population. Now that they're quickly catching up with the rest of the world, their birth rates will probably fall naturally as more people prefer to live in urban enviroments, marry later, and have fewer children. China's population has been projected as about 1.4 billion by 2050, far outstripped by India's exploding population of about 1.6 billion by 2050. To give you some idea of how huge India's population is today, as of the 2001 India census there were 66,508,008 people in the state of Andhra Pradesh! That's one state! California, the most populous US state, only has 36,553,215 people! You'd have to add California and Texas together to equal or surpass Andhra Pradesh.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:09 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,156 times
I remember my history teacher saying unlike europe they didn't suffer from the black plague

Old 04-19-2008, 07:45 AM

422 posts, read 758,253 times
Birth rates have less to do with it than how long people have been living there, and how much population the land can support.

You're comparing a country that's been around for a few hundred years to nations that have been around for thousands of years. India and China were one of the first places to adopt civilization, reading and writing, and build cities and empires. They have fertile sub-tropical river valleys that can support a huge number of people, especially in the case of India. These two countries have always constituted a sizable proportion of the total number of people in the world.

The historic birth rates for the U.S. and China going back the past 200 years aren't much different. It was only a generation or two ago that most American families had 5-6 kids. They were higher before, and have come down now. China actually has a lower fertility rate than America does today. India's has also come down sharply and will continue to decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia