U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,851,984 times

Advertisements

I am curious about that region of the world such as the countries of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, and Georgia (7 countries total).

I didn’t know those countries even existed for the vast majority of my life. For most people in the world, they seem like such unknown and mysterious countries, including for me.

Uzbekistan in particular seems the be the 2nd worst out of all of those countries, with Turkmenistan being the worst one.

Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan seem like the much better countries compared to those 2 countries and much more worthwhile countries to travel to.

I like the idea of traveling to Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan and it seems fun. However, I definitely don't feel like that for Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM

15,045 posts, read 13,641,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I am curious about that region of the world such as the countries of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, and Georgia (7 countries total).

I didnít know those countries even existed for the vast majority of my life. For most people in the world, they seem like such unknown and mysterious countries, including for me.

Uzbekistan in particular seems the be the 2nd worst out of all of those countries, with Turkmenistan being the worst one.

Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan seem like the much better countries compared to those 2 countries and much more worthwhile countries to travel to.

I like the idea of traveling to Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan and it seems fun. However, I definitely don't feel like that for Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
I don't know how old are you, but these countries used to be republics that comprised the Soviet Union. ( That's why no one has heard about the existence of these countries before the beginning of the 1990ies.)
The fall of the S.U. hit particularly hard Central Asia and Caucasus, (but for different reasons.)
Tajikistan is probably the most impoverished country out of them all, with destroyed economy; Tadjiks currently are probably # 1 gastarbeiters in Russia; Kyrgystan didn't fare much better.
Kazachstan is probably better off out of them all, since Russians built a lot of infrastructure over there during Soviet times; Kazachstan has oil and gas, plus that's where Baikonur Cosmodrom has been built in the late 1950ies.
Baikonur Cosmodrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( Originally Kazakhs were nomads who didn't even have written language, when they became part of Russian Empire in the 19th century.)

But yeah, I'd be curious myself to travel to Georgia to see what became of it in post-Soviet times. (Although Georgia was regarded as one of the key allies of the US in the region, the statue of Stalin was removed from his home town only in 2010. I find it to be very interesting.)
Azerbaijan used to be part of Iran long time ago, before it too became part of Russian Empire in the 18th century; it's still oil-rich region, so it's a different story comparably to say Tajikistan or Uzbekistan.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,851,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't know how old are you, but these countries used to be republics that comprised the Soviet Union. ( That's why no one has heard about the existence of these countries before the beginning of the 1990ies.)
The fall of the S.U. hit particularly hard Central Asia and Caucasus, (but for different reasons.)
Tajikistan is probably the most impoverished country out of them all, with destroyed economy; Tadjiks currently are probably # 1 gastarbeiters in Russia; Kyrgystan didn't fare much better.
Kazachstan is probably better off out of them all, since Russians built a lot of infrastructure over there during Soviet times; Kazachstan has oil and gas, plus that's where Baikonur Cosmodrom has been built in the late 1950ies.
Baikonur Cosmodrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( Originally Kazakhs were nomads who didn't even have written language, when they became part of Russian Empire in the 19th century.)

But yeah, I'd be curious myself to travel to Georgia to see what became of it in post-Soviet times. (Although Georgia was regarded as one of the key allies of the US in the region, the statue of Stalin was removed from his home town only in 2010. I find it to be very interesting.)
Azerbaijan used to be part of Iran long time ago, before it too became part of Russian Empire in the 18th century; it's still oil-rich region, so it's a different story comparably to say Tajikistan or Uzbekistan.

I am just 20 years old. Lol I turned 20 last June. So I am 20 years and 8 months old.

Yeah, I was just born when that started to happen.

That is a good point for one reason why most people don’t know the existence for most of those countries in Central Asia and South Caucasus.

Wow, the Soviet Union took up so many different countries’ territory!

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan. A total of these 12 new countries seemed to form right after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Interesting. Georgia and Azerbaijan in South Caucasus region generally seem to be doing much better than the Central Asian countries.

However, I thought Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan was doing much better than what you said.

I already knew Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are doing badly so I am not surprised for those 2 countries.

I thought Kazakhstan was doing worse so it is a bit surprising if it is doing better than I expected.

Despite that, I still would like to visit Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan just as much as Georgia and Azerbaijan.
I am undecided for Kazakhstan.

I don’t think I have any interest in traveling to Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan compared to the others.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 02-19-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM

254 posts, read 486,145 times
There is a BBC series called "Meet the Stans" I'd suggest people watch that to get a little insight. It's great when people are curious about countries and want to know more but it's pretty sad and ignorant to go around calling places Islamic **** holes and ranting about things that they clearly know nothing about.

MEET THE STANS -- episode 1&2: Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan - YouTube < episode 1 and 2

MEET THE STANS -- episodes 3&4: Uzbekistan and Tajikistan - YouTube < episode 3 and 4

Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Yeah they do seem like 'blanks on the maps' in the consciousness of most people. I hardly hear anything about them. Kazakhstan probably interests me the most. Has anyone seen their new capital, Astana? It's so futuristic, the last thing you'd expect in the Steppes of Central Asia, with some really architecturally daring buildings (pyramids, sci-fi looking towers), a bit like Dubai, Vegas and Shanghai all in one. The Kazakhstan portrayed in Borat is nothing like the real place, the people look like a mix between Caucasians and 'Mongoloids' (East and North Asians).

Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I am just 20 years old. Lol I turned 20 last June. So I am 20 years and 8 months old.

Ahhh... that explains...

Quote:
Wow, the Soviet Union took up so many different countriesí territory!
Those were all the lands Russian Empire ( plus Finland); the USSR was nothing but a successor of it.

Quote:
Interesting. Georgia and Azerbaijan in South Caucasus region generally seem to be doing much better than the Central Asian countries.
Azerbaijan is an oil rich country ( has been for centuries,) and Georgia is a key ally of the United States in the region (plus historically it has always been a Christian country. I see a major difference here.)

Quote:
However, I thought Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan was doing much better than what you said.
Why should they? I'm pretty sure they were better off under the Soviet system.

Quote:
I already knew Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are doing badly so I am not surprised for those 2 countries.

I thought Kazakhstan was doing worse so it is a bit surprising if it is doing better than I expected.
Oil, oil - did I mention oil? (and other natural resources, plus preciously developed by Russian infrastructure back in Soviet times )

Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
There is a BBC series called "Meet the Stans" I'd suggest people watch that to get a little insight. It's great when people are curious about countries and want to know more but it's pretty sad and ignorant to go around calling places Islamic **** holes and ranting about things that they clearly know nothing about.

MEET THE STANS -- episode 1&2: Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan - YouTube < episode 1 and 2

MEET THE STANS -- episodes 3&4: Uzbekistan and Tajikistan - YouTube < episode 3 and 4
And I would suggest that you should watch the episode on Uzbekistan\Tajikistan yourself first, before posting it on the forum and coming up with lectures.

(In no way it contradicts anything that I've posted on a subject earlier.)

Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah they do seem like 'blanks on the maps' in the consciousness of most people. I hardly hear anything about them. Kazakhstan probably interests me the most. Has anyone seen their new capital, Astana? It's so futuristic, the last thing you'd expect in the Steppes of Central Asia, with some really architecturally daring buildings (pyramids, sci-fi looking towers), a bit like Dubai, Vegas and Shanghai all in one. The Kazakhstan portrayed in Borat is nothing like the real place, the people look like a mix between Caucasians and 'Mongoloids' (East and North Asians).
Almaty, Kazakhstan is one Id like to see. Apparently an expensive city with pretty much all that a person would want. Becoming a business capital of the Stans.

Tashkent, however, I believe is the largest city in the area...and a pretty amazing history.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:

I didnít know those countries even existed for the vast majority of my life. For most people in the world, they seem like such unknown and mysterious countries, including for me.

I'm surprised you'd put Uzbekistan as the 2nd worse. I'd say Tajikistan and Turkmenistan are the two I'd least like to visit. They seem like way more trouble than they are worth to see.

Uzbekistan and Taskhent seem interesting as it's the largest populated city in the region. Which, in turn, would bring up quite a bit of interesting things just because of that alone. Plus they have a very interesting mix of people, it seems the most varied of all the different ethnicities.

It's also so much cheaper than Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. Probably a lot cheaper than Georgia and Azerbaijan as well, but I haven't looked into those two recently. But, I think Azerbaijan in particular is coming into a lot of oil money, and the cost of living is skyrocketing because of it. Kazakhstan as well. Which is fine, but I doubt Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan would be worth seeing at Japan prices.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM

32,089 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Although I have never been to Uzbekistan, I live in an area with large immigrant population that came from Uzbekistan. They all seem to be very community oriented and Russian seems to be dominant language (rather than Uzbek).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or