U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Although I have never been to Uzbekistan, I live in an area with large immigrant population that came from Uzbekistan. They all seem to be very community oriented and Russian seems to be dominant language (rather than Uzbek).
Sounds like ethnic Russians than. I heard many left the region as those former soviet states gained soverignity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds like ethnic Russians than. I heard many left the region as those former soviet states gained soverignity.
Since most of them are Jewish, I wouldn't call them ethnic Russians.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 PM

15,029 posts, read 13,614,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you listen to BBC video ( on Uzbekistan) closely, you'll notice that only Uzbek villagers speak local language, the rest of them ( particularly those in charge) speak Russian. They are clearly Uzbeks though, not ethnic Russians.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 263 times
With the new president Uzbekistan, things already looking better. New President Mirziyoyev seems to be of the people with action. He was spotted meeting real crowds on the ground, promising more freedoms, particularly economic freedoms. He is also planning to better the situation for tourists, and trying to open currency convertability, and ease up tourist visas, as well removing exit visas (OVIT) for the citizens. He wants to open up new free trade/economic zones to bring in investment the country badly needs. Uzbekistan suffered so much under Karimova, and it will probably take a decade to recover from the failing institutions to function properly again. He also motioned to downsize the amount of police and uzbek kgb, and other government beurocracies. I hope he succeeds. However, Uzbekistan Internal Securities Leader(KGB) Inoyatov seems to be trying very hard to hold on to his powers and trying to prevent the president to movement towards more open and free societies. President Mirziyoyev even appointed a former KGB with a Libertarian pro-western leaning tendencies for special duties. Which mean an internal strruggle to remove the last opressive remains of Karimovs regime, and to move more toward free market economy. Uzbekistan have huge potential as the country have all elements of natural resources, the laborers and as well as educated talents that live there and around the World to come get right back to work to modernize the country. Uzbekistan also have zero debt, meaning the country can start at a big advantage if given a chance. Though problems like being double landlock towards the seas/ocean can be an issue. However, the country is located in the Great Silk road, meaning in the future the Chinese railways can pass through the area to reach Europe and Middle East. I'm as hopeful, with the sparks of enlightenment is around the corner. I hope the new president can completely remove beurocracy, uphold the basic human rights, and establish institutions like the law and order of the court of law etc. But these changes will take time, and he had expressed his willingness to work with experienced countries like Japan, Korea Republic, Taiwain and the European security counsil in the future to speed things up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or