U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear whatever experiences or knowledge people have on this city or location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 AM

351 posts, read 1,719,761 times
What do you want to know? It was the third-fourth largest city in the former Soviet Union, with a population large enough to win it a subway. Since independence, the city had modernized along the lines of modern, glassy/ugly funk. The President is cut from the same cloth as the rest of the region, holding the reigns tight, supporting family dynasties and squashing real democratic processes. In terms of quality of life, Tashkent is fairly livable... at least so it seemed to those of us who lived in Dushanbe!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
How are the people? Is it fairly conservative? Are they open to foreigners?

I heard the city closes down around 11pm? No social outlets after that time? True?

Still many Russians around? Do people dress up to the tees - skirts, heels, etc. Much like others in the region?

Is the Muslim presense fairly visible in Tashkent? Are the head scarves becoming more common or less common?

Are there many people coming into Tashkent from neighboring countries?

Oh, and what is the general appearance of most Uzbeks in Uzbekistan? Is it slightly Asian or slightly Caucasian?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 AM

I've responded on your other post, but here are some more thoughts:

Yes, nightlife closes early, because there isn't much of one for the local population (except those with money, and then you get in to a very different, and potentially dangerous element). The gap between the rich and the poor and the empowered and the disempowered is quite large. Those with the power and the money will be noticable by their cars, their security details and their women.

In the cities you will see top-of-the-line western wear among the rich. Among the not so rich you'll see jeans and jackets. TO the extent that people from the villages are around (the markets) you'll get the more conservative dress and headscarves.

Cultural ettiquette is quite conservative. Sex only in marraige (but pros readily available).

Central Asia is Muslim, but they are Soviet lapsed, so they drink. But they don't like being reminded of the inconsistency.

There are some ethnic Russians around, and increasing amounts of Chinese. There's not a lot of local movement across borders with neighboring countries: mostly, everyone from the countries of the region are trying to get to RUssia to work, or further afield where life is much better. If you sit at the Taj/Uk border and watch the cross-border traffic, you'll be bored. There isn't much, except for Haj-time, when people go to Mecca.

Uzbeks are more Asian than Caucasian (using the Caucasian Tajiks as comparison), but their history is long and bloodlines are mixed. Look for the green-eyed read-heads: they're all said to come from Alexander the Great!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,938 times
Very interesting thread. What else would you like to know about Uzbekistan/Tashkent?- I know much more about it.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,289,452 times
Are you familiar with the name (Mohdi) Rashid Dostum? He was born in Afghanistan but is an ethnic Uzbek. For the record, I can't stand the guy. I just wondered if he was actually known in Uzbekistan. I have a feeling he has probably caused trouble there....as he does wherever he goes.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Dostum's reputation is widely known in the region as a war lord. You appear to now be in/of the region. Why do you hate him?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreet212 View Post
if anyone knws abt it so pls DM me.
I haven't been there, but from reputation, the nightlife cannot compare to Bangkok's. Bangkok's nightlife is world famous, partially for the sleaze, but Tashkent is not known for its nightlife at all.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,650,797 times
Central Asia looks an interesting place to visit...

Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM

15,033 posts, read 13,618,313 times
Well basically with Soviet system gone, Uzbekistan became yet another Islamic sh*thole as far as I can see..

Free Uzbekistan: Something Much Worse Than the Soviet Union

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

. . . I used to argue a lot about politics, and these conversations used to spread to embrace the whole bar. I was surprised when one female student told me that things in Uzbekistan had got much worse since Soviet times. I argued, saying that she was romanticizing the Soviet Union. Communism had been an awful system, and the Soviet Union had collapsed simply because it didn’t work [sic].

I had been strongly ideologically opposed to the Soviet Union, and while I recognized how awful the [post-Soviet President Islam] Karimov regime was, I had not yet fully come to understand that indeed this was something much worse than the Soviet Union. Since independence, there has been steadily less personal freedom in Uzbekistan, while living standards have plummeted as Soviet institutions have collapsed without any compensating individual economic freedom. The brain drain of professionals and Russian nationals has been disastrous, and positive aspects of the Soviet legacy, like universal literacy and good roads, are fast collapsing.

A number of students were taking part in this conversation. One tall ethnic Russian with striking long ash-blonde hair was just completing her Ph.D. thesis in mathematics. She told me that her worry was the examination on the works of President Karimov. I was astonished. She explained to me that every educational course in the country, from elementary school to Ph.D., includes compulsory study of Karimov’s execrable books. She added that she had to submit a paper entitled ‘What the Independence of Uzbekistan Means to Me.’ She said, with a bitter smile, that what it meant was that the police had been able to rape her three times in the last year. Yet again, I was astonished.

This is seldom commented upon. Of that group of five girls, four had been raped by the police, some several times. The police do it because they can. People are continually stopped by police for their papers, and pretty girls are fair game. There is no justice or redress in Uzbekistan. An alleged problem with their documents, a threat to plant narcotics or charge them with prostitution is enough. The police have a girl to play with. This evil is extraordinarily prevalent. It has become accepted as one of the standard hardships of life in the country. Nobody even seems to get very angry about it. They are more concerned to hide the shame – a girl must be a virgin to marry.

There is an incredible practice prevalent throughout Uzbekistan. Girls have their hymens sewn back up before marriage, so that the blood-spotted bed sheets can be displayed. This is not an urban myth – the World Health Organisation estimates that up to 40 per cent of urban Uzbek girls have their hymen stitched up, and I met a British anthropologist researching it. I also met a gynaecologist who performs the operation, but 90 per cent of such procedures are ‘back-street’ jobs carrying a serious risk of infection.

- Former UK Ambassador, Craig Murray, “Murder in Samarkand,” pp. 120-121.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or