Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tokyo, Osaka or Shanghai
Tokyo 40 52.63%
Osaka 16 21.05%
Shanghai 20 26.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times

Advertisements

^ Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll still pass on it. ^_^ I'm satisfied enough visiting Japan.

(And most of my other times spent in Asia is in Taiwan where it does get very boring when all you can do there is shop and do some sightseeing... At least, Asia has Mister Donuts. One of the best doughnut places in the world!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
I like Osaka, that would be the airport as a connector to Naha, Okinawa
Kyoto is the main place to be in Japan.
Tokyo is like a sardine can, way to crowded for my taste.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
You should try and visit the place sometime. I'm only here for the summer and besides the heat it is an incredible place. Seriously, Shanghai is one of the most exciting places in the world to be right now.
I even have libertarian tendencies and the whole state-run thing doesn't bother me so much. China has to be the most capitalist communist country.

That said, for me I wouldn't want to live in either of the 3 places long term. If I knew the language it might be different but I am quite happy with living here short term for now.

Yep! Kinda weird Communist China going capitalist and Free America going Communist

The best thing I love about Japan is the people and the pride.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
Quote:
Shanghai.

1. I'm more interested in Chinese culture than Japanese.
2. Tokyo may be more of a global city now, but Shanghai (and China) is the future.
3. Chinese food is way better than Japanese! (haha only my opinion)
4. It's way cheaper

Would still love to visit Tokyo though.
You are from Shanghai yourself..doesnt that seem a bit biased..? As you said you havent even been to tokyo!

Anyways it depends on your budget, China in general is much cheaper than japan. So shanghai would be a good choice if money is an issue, if not than go to japan. Shanghai has an amazing skyline btw.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:14 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
You are from Shanghai yourself..doesnt that seem a bit biased..? As you said you havent even been to tokyo!

Anyways it depends on your budget, China in general is much cheaper than japan. So shanghai would be a good choice if money is an issue, if not than go to japan. Shanghai has an amazing skyline btw.
If you read the later posts you'd see that I'm only in Shanghai for the summer-and loving it so far.

When I posted that my location was Columbia, SC, so no bias. At that point I had visited neither China nor Japan. I really want to visit Tokyo but as you said the price is kinda discouraging for a student. But you can't deny that China has things going for it over Japan other than money. They are different countries so their cities will be quite different as well. It's just up to personal taste.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
^ Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll still pass on it. ^_^ I'm satisfied enough visiting Japan.

(And most of my other times spent in Asia is in Taiwan where it does get very boring when all you can do there is shop and do some sightseeing... At least, Asia has Mister Donuts. One of the best doughnut places in the world!)
haha where's your sense of adventure
I do love Taiwan, visiting there gave me the interest in going to china in the first place. Shanghai would be boring too after a couple days of sightseeing if you don't know any locals or have other foreigners to hang out with. I've never had Mister Donuts but have you had Mr. Brown's coffee? (in a can).

Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 AM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
Quote:
If you read the later posts you'd see that I'm only in Shanghai for the summer-and loving it so far.

When I posted that my location was Columbia, SC, so no bias. At that point I had visited neither China nor Japan. I really want to visit Tokyo but as you said the price is kinda discouraging for a student. But you can't deny that China has things going for it over Japan other than money. They are different countries so their cities will be quite different as well. It's just up to personal taste.
Right but you don't know how tokyo is..well you haven't even been to tokyo! You can talk good about shanghai but dont compare it to tokyo/japan when..you have never been to tokyo! It's simple lol.

Also interesting that youve been to taiwan, it's more like japan than it is to mainland china but a bit poorer than japan and not as "high tech".

Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
Quote:
haha where's your sense of adventure
I do love Taiwan, visiting there gave me the interest in going to china in the first place. Shanghai would be boring too after a couple days of sightseeing if you don't know any locals or have other foreigners to hang out with. I've never had Mister Donuts but have you had Mr. Brown's coffee? (in a can).
Mmm.. Well, my adventure has so far been with my relatives in Taiwan. So, yeah... I've been south and I've been north. I've yet to see the east coast of Taiwan.

It's great that you've been to Taiwan that inspired you to visit China, but please keep in mind.. Taiwan isn't China. Taiwan is not a part of China. Two different countries.

No, never had Mr. Brown's coffee (in a can). I don't drink coffee so I wouldn't know. >D

Nihonkitty pretty much nailed certain Taiwan descriptions. Taiwan obtained a lot of influence from the Japanese (and also, America-- i.e. sewage system, music, manga, shopping malls, and so forth). But, there are a lot of winding roads and other places where it's not that developed. Small little cluster of towns here and there. Privately owned businesses with store keepers standing around in their shops with their kids watching TV in the back part of the stores. Very common. It's just the way it is.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I posted this poll awhile ago...

Since then spent a lot more time in Tokyo and Osaka, and a little bit of time in Shanghai.

I love Osaka the best, by far.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 AM

221 posts, read 535,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I posted this poll awhile ago...

Since then spent a lot more time in Tokyo and Osaka, and a little bit of time in Shanghai.

I love Osaka the best, by far.
how come?

in the pictures, all Japan cities look exactly the same, so I'd assume that Tokyo is the best one as it's bigger, its the capital etc..

All ive heard about Osaka is that its a bad place, as there are many poor people etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia