U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tokyo, Osaka or Shanghai
Tokyo 37 50.68%
Osaka 16 21.92%
Shanghai 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You mean like how Osaka is the most dangerous major city in Japan--which means it's safer than any major city in the US or UK?
significantly so.

Osaka is extremely safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 PM

3,669 posts, read 8,843,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I 100% agree with you.

I'm also the OP of this rather old post, and it was typed before I moved to Osaka.

Regarding being significantly less pricy than Tokyo. Yes and no. Apartments/hotels/etc. YES! You're also in the trains much less time, so you save a bit of time and money there as well. If you do take a taxi, you'll have a lot less to go (depending, of course). Also, international flights are much cheaper from Osaka (or Nagoya) than Tokyo (Narita/Haneda).

Personally, I much prefer Osaka, because you have Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe all very close together. Three completely different, yet large cities, with all completely different character.

Whereas when I'm in Tokyo, it feels like you have a few popular Tokyo neighborhoods, than just tons of sprawl forever outward in every direction - i.e. tons of train time going anywhere.

But, I also know people who love Tokyo and are very loyal to it.

For me, I'm definitely a big city person, but Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto give everything I need in spades, that I don't even consider going to Tokyo for any reason, as everything I need is right here.

Whereas, when I lived in Busan Korea, it just paled in comparison to Seoul Korea, for example.
I agree about the sprawl in Tokyo. It's funny how some areas in Tokyo's 23 Wards can feel suburban or even rural. The more popular areas are within the few central wards (Minato, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Chuo, Chiyoda, and a few others). It actually feels like a lot of little cities put together instead of one large city. I also agree about the long train rides from one part of the city to another.

I really loved Osaka, even though I only spent one night there. I really loved to food and the people. However, the Tokyo/Yokohama area has always been like a second home to me. Yokohama is a nice city too btw, and in some ways I like it better than Tokyo, especially since I lived in Kanagawa so I was closer to that city.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I agree about the sprawl in Tokyo. It's funny how some areas in Tokyo's 23 Wards can feel suburban or even rural. The more popular areas are within the few central wards (Minato, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Chuo, Chiyoda, and a few others). It actually feels like a lot of little cities put together instead of one large city. I also agree about the long train rides from one part of the city to another.

I really loved Osaka, even though I only spent one night there. I really loved to food and the people. However, the Tokyo/Yokohama area has always been like a second home to me. Yokohama is a nice city too btw, and in some ways I like it better than Tokyo, especially since I lived in Kanagawa so I was closer to that city.
I'm a huge fan of Yokohama over Tokyo!

That surprised me before getting to know the two areas. As I'm a person who loves large cities like New York, Sao Paulo, Seoul, etc. So, you'd think Tokyo would be just as great, being it's of the same calibre of city.

But, Yokohama is the one I loved more than Tokyo. Mostly because Yokohama has it's downtown, but also has Chinatown, which is completely different. Than you Kanagawa coastline with beach culture and ocean breezes everywhere.

Before getting to know Japan, I would have assumed Yokohama to be either industrial or suburban, but it's actually every bit a complete and full urban city with all the amenities of any city, and surprisingly even more.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 AM

22,148 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm a huge fan of Yokohama over Tokyo!

That surprised me before getting to know the two areas. As I'm a person who loves large cities like New York, Sao Paulo, Seoul, etc. So, you'd think Tokyo would be just as great, being it's of the same calibre of city.

But, Yokohama is the one I loved more than Tokyo. Mostly because Yokohama has it's downtown, but also has Chinatown, which is completely different. Than you Kanagawa coastline with beach culture and ocean breezes everywhere.

Before getting to know Japan, I would have assumed Yokohama to be either industrial or suburban, but it's actually every bit a complete and full urban city with all the amenities of any city, and surprisingly even more.
It makes good sense since Yokohama was the port town for the Tokyo metropolis for such a long while (and still is to some extent). The influence of the west is probably stronger there in the bones of the city than anywhere else.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
244 posts, read 313,642 times
Tokyo, Osaka, or possibly Seoul in that part of the world. I would not want to live in China until/unless it becomes a free, democratic country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or