U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,028 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm Brazillian and I'm hosting a Japanese friend. I met her in Japan and now she's in a college exchange program and staying in my house. She is a great person, I have no complains about her except for one thing. She brought a laptop but it doesn't work with my router, God knows why. On the first days she asked to use my computer and I said that it was ok (and it was really ok). After a week or two she stoped asking and I found out that she would stay the entire morning, sometimes almost the whole day,using my computer, which stays inside my bedroom, to chat online, whitout saying anything. I found the situation so awkward that after one week thinking about it I put a password on the computer and waited for her to say anything. Then I had to tell her I didn't feel confortable with someone inside my bedroom using my computer all the time, without my knowledge. And just for you to know, she can use computers in college, at lanhouses aroud here and a lot of places with wireless broadband really close to here.
Well, I told this long history to make a question to Japanese people and Japanese descendents everywhere: Is it socially acceptable to do this kind of thing in Japan? Would geting into other people's bedroom without the person being there be a break of social conventions in Japan? Is this matter of privacy different than here in Brazil, or the Western World?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 PM

1,041 posts, read 4,036,220 times
The Japanese are VERY polite, almost to the point where it is irritating. This is especially true in the case of host/hostess, so I am very surprised by the situation. Maybe she is just very homesick????

Old 05-23-2008, 12:09 AM

79 posts, read 354,276 times
I have had the same experience with a German exchange student: she hijacked my computer exactly the same way.

I have the feeling it is less an issue of where people are from, but an issue of that generation's pretty easygoing attitude in life. That seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. In Germany the older generation would consider her behavior rude. But younger people seem to think it is OK. "Hey, you offered me to do it once, so what's the big deal if I do it every day?"

Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 AM

4 posts, read 19,371 times
Default Japanese, NEVER

I've been living in Japan since 2001. There is not any privacy for foreigners in Japanese culture but there is a lot of it for Japanese.

I just want to say that Japanese are not polite to foreigners. They don't like them and acually enjoy hearting them. My question is that why do you think that Japanese can be friends? Why do you have a Japanese friend? Why do you, at all, let them in your house? Why do you trust them? NEVER TRUST THEM. Just know if you visit Japan, the same friend who stayed at your house, never let you in her/his house in Japan! even after 30 years friendship. They have a very small heart and are untrustable.
I wish I could tell you more but this is enough. You'll experience more by yourself if you stay in touch with your Japanese friend.

GOOOOOOD LUCK

Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,688,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehrnaz View Post
I've been living in Japan since 2001. There is not any privacy for foreigners in Japanese culture but there is a lot of it for Japanese.

I just want to say that Japanese are not polite to foreigners. They don't like them and acually enjoy hearting them. My question is that why do you think that Japanese can be friends? Why do you have a Japanese friend? Why do you, at all, let them in your house? Why do you trust them? NEVER TRUST THEM. Just know if you visit Japan, the same friend who stayed at your house, never let you in her/his house in Japan! even after 30 years friendship. They have a very small heart and are untrustable.
I wish I could tell you more but this is enough. You'll experience more by yourself if you stay in touch with your Japanese friend.

GOOOOOOD LUCK
I'm hoping this is just a really, really, really bad attempt at sarcasm...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
She's probably a bit of an internet addict.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 AM

21,217 posts, read 5,633,927 times
This seems to be very rude behavior on the guest's part.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM

625 posts, read 1,431,860 times
Go to your nearest computer supply and find the correct router for both systems to use. This should be affordable and it would solve your problem........or just draw back and pop her upside the head and say " beat it dufuss".

Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
My nephew worked there for a join venture company for about a month, He said the way they treat their employees reminded him of the army recruit training.One example he gave was a female engineer that he and a japanese excutive interviewed. She said she was brillant and after the interview he was in favor of hiring her. But the excutive said definely no becuase she had work for toyota and quit. She had explained that they gave her very Nonchallenging task. But he said she was disloyal for quiting ;so hiring her was out.He said they were very polite but even upper management acted like recruits in the presents of their drill instructor around the top excutive.He found it very unconfortable.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 PM

625 posts, read 1,431,860 times
I miss the connection texdav is making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia