U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,507,917 times

Advertisements

What do you mean? Although the US census DOES recognize South Asians (Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis) as Caucasian, they are counted in the "Asian" total for geographic reasons.

If you're referring to "yet another reason" as if there are problems with how the Census treats Hispanics and Latinos, the census does that perfectly and it is the people who mess it up. The census' method of asking race and then a separate question for Hispanic/Latino ethnicity/background is a perfectly good way of doing things, but many mestizos (primarily) and mulattos (to a much lesser extent) in this group fail to report that they are racially mixed, and thus choose "Other." In my opinion, the "Other" category should be completely abolished as to force people to choose their racial mixture. An average Mexican-American mestizo should be checking both Caucasian and Native American for race AND Hispanic/Latino for the ethnicity question.

As someone who has thoroughly studied demographics and always reads the census results, the census does a good job with collecting data on Hispanics/Latinos; my only complaint is that they should stop counting South Asians as "Asian" (because for all other groups it is a RACIAL and not a GEOGRAPHIC question) and start counting them as Caucasian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 PM

563 posts, read 1,595,942 times
I'm Lebanese, and everyone I've ever met has classified me as White. That's accurate. Mdidle Easterners are part of the White race. My grandfather was Aryan!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:20 PM

421 posts, read 604,325 times
The white people in Central Asia are resettled Russians and East Germans. The native people from that region appear to be mixed caucasian-oriental. Also, don't let footage of "Borat" fool you; the scenes of Kazakhstan were always filmed in Eastern European countries like Romania.

The U.S. census definitions of "race" are more political than they are biological. For example it doesn't make much sense that folks from Iran are classified as "White", but folks in nearby Afghanistan are "Asian". There's no real racial divide there, and folks from Iran certainly have more in common racially and linguistically with their South Asian neighbors than they do with - say - Norway.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,620,923 times
This just goes to prove that "race" is a man-made classfication rather than a biological truth.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,715,292 times
Immigrants alter their data, I know an arab who is down as asian...

but I agree, if you've ever met a central Asian they look east asian, sometimes a mix between white and asian...and sometimes arab-ish...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM

985 posts, read 3,263,432 times
Question Non-Hispanic Latinos

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
What do you mean? Although the US census DOES recognize South Asians (Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis) as Caucasian, they are counted in the "Asian" total for geographic reasons.

If you're referring to "yet another reason" as if there are problems with how the Census treats Hispanics and Latinos, the census does that perfectly and it is the people who mess it up. The census' method of asking race and then a separate question for Hispanic/Latino ethnicity/background is a perfectly good way of doing things, but many mestizos (primarily) and mulattos (to a much lesser extent) in this group fail to report that they are racially mixed, and thus choose "Other." In my opinion, the "Other" category should be completely abolished as to force people to choose their racial mixture. An average Mexican-American mestizo should be checking both Caucasian and Native American for race AND Hispanic/Latino for the ethnicity question.

As someone who has thoroughly studied demographics and always reads the census results, the census does a good job with collecting data on Hispanics/Latinos; my only complaint is that they should stop counting South Asians as "Asian" (because for all other groups it is a RACIAL and not a GEOGRAPHIC question) and start counting them as Caucasian.
I've always wondered how non-Spanish speaking Latinos handle this.
Brazilians, who make up a little over half of the population of Latin American countries, are Latinos, but not Hispanics. Not to mention other non-Spanish speaking Latin communities.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM

2,381 posts, read 7,767,037 times
This is a very simple question to answer. The Caucausus region and the Caucausus Mountain region is located near the dividing line between Europe and southwest Asia. This covers an area north of Turkey and Iran, in between the Black Sea and Caspian Sea. The Caucausus region covers much of what is today the republics of Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan. It also includes the southern autonomous regions of Russia such as Chechnya and Abkhazia and Nagarono-Karabakh. The people living in the Caucausus region are Caucasians, and most European and central Asian peoples are genetically related to the Caucasians which today are called by census takers "white".

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,217,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Indians and Pakistanis are racially Caucasian, but (to add to the confusion) are considered (geographically) "Asian" by the US Census. Since "whites" are light skinned Caucasians, there are many very light skinned Pakistanis and northern Indians who could call themselves "white."

well said crisp, you're dead on

Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Central Asia was once part of the Soviet Union, and MANY Russians settled and even now you have many Russians, Ukranians who are several generations living in Central Asia.

I think the Russians are the ones who emigrate the most from there. But I also think that Soviet Union prior to breakup was why the US counted it as European and not Asian.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM

4,657 posts, read 7,794,988 times
We just discussed this exact thing in my sociology class the other day. Basically "race" is man made and purely subjective. In all truth there is only one race, human. As the op correctly stated Uzbekistan is in Asia, as is India. Both are just as "Asian" as the other, yet they share no common food, culture, language and look nothing like one another. Also some aborigines are "blacker" then many African Americans.

The whole concept of race is divisive and contrived and I hope to God we get away from it once and for all. On almost any census or questionaire that lists race it allows people to check off as many as they like. This right here tells me that it's all a farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or