U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 AM

1,829 posts, read 1,946,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
The white people in Central Asia are resettled Russians and East Germans. The native people from that region appear to be mixed caucasian-oriental. Also, don't let footage of "Borat" fool you; the scenes of Kazakhstan were always filmed in Eastern European countries like Romania.

The U.S. census definitions of "race" are more political than they are biological. For example it doesn't make much sense that folks from Iran are classified as "White", but folks in nearby Afghanistan are "Asian". There's no real racial divide there, and folks from Iran certainly have more in common racially and linguistically with their South Asian neighbors than they do with - say - Norway.
Just FYI, the Census classifies Afghanis as "white", not "Asian". And many of them often do look it. Including the blond hair LMAO...

Also, Iran would have more cultural and racial affinities to North Indians and Pakistanis but definitely not Southern or Eastern Indians (who have stronger Australoid and even sometimes Mongoloid blood lines).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 AM

1,829 posts, read 1,946,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Immigrants alter their data, I know an arab who is down as asian...

but I agree, if you've ever met a central Asian they look east asian, sometimes a mix between white and asian...and sometimes arab-ish...
That depends, Kazhaks often look east asian to eurasian, but Tajiks look more Iranian.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Yeah I think it depends on the group. Central Asia was important to the "Silk Road" and the Mongol Empire so was a place many different groups met. Interestingly Siberia is listed in the "Caucasian zone", which makes sense as they're part of Russia but they do have non-white groups. For example Siberia has some "Yup'ik", which is the group we call Eskimos or just Yup'ik. (Inuit is incorrect for them)

"Asian American" is in some ways a confusing term as "Asians" come from a wide variety of ethnicities, sometimes with almost nothing in common. Apparently blond hair is not unusual among the Pashtuns of Afghanistan and their language is related to Iranian. Iranians are white by the standards that measures these things. The indigenous people of the Andaman Islands are possibly more like Pygmies or at least very much not white. Than you have other groups that are radically different in ethnicity and culture. Africa is more diverse than Asia, (this is not always clear to us as "African Americans", in the way we use the term, are usually a mix of several African peoples with white or some American Indian ancestry. However Malagasy, Pygmies, Bushman, Masai, and Wolof are all quite different from each other) but Asia is a pretty diverse place.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,666,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I'm Lebanese, and everyone I've ever met has classified me as White. That's accurate. Mdidle Easterners are part of the White race. My grandfather was Aryan!
Yes, you're white. I'm Armenian and also listed myself as "white". I figure that our homeland is the Caucasus which makes me Caucasian, which is white. I believe Persians/Iranians are white also. But Turks/Central Asians are not, they are from Far Eastern heritage (Mongolian) and are Asian or mongoloid by race.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Whatever. Im Lebanese and I dont really care.

If you want to call me white, call me white. If you want to call me Middle Eastern, call me Middle Eastern.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,666,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

If you want to call me white, call me white. If you want to call me Middle Eastern, call me Middle Eastern.
I don't really care, either. I think the point that "freak" was making is that there really isn't a classification for Middle Eastern or Lebanese or Armenian or Syrian or Jordanian and the best "fit" is "white".

If they re-categorized the choices it really wouldn't matter to me what they put me in, as long as it made sense. We're not actually Middle Eastern but we're close, so I'd be happy with that category. My parents, both full Armenian, were born and raised in Beirut. Does that make me of Lebanese descent? Kind of - my parents were both Lebanese until they became Americans.

I honestly think they're more interested in certain races and don't care about others. The thing is, very few people REALLY know what their ancestry ACTUALLY includes. I know so many people who discover an ancestor that was black or Jewish or Irish or Swedish or whatever - I think the whole issue is more about cultural background than blood/genetic background.

It's like that commercial they used to have for Visa - a guy goes to Norway with his dad to get back to their Norwegian roots; they immerse themselves in their ancestral culture (paying for everything with Visa, of course!) and after many days of this, they go to their ancestor's town and to the town records and discover they are actually SWEDISH! lol - the commercial ends with them getting on a boat to Sweden...

I can understand tracking blacks, asians, native americans and even hispanics, to a point, as these groups were probably most "wronged" by our nation/society, so it is helpful in determining policy for compensation of sorts (affiirmative action, etc.) to those groups.

But for the "white" ethnicities it really doesn't matter, except maybe to white supremacists.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Let me guess, your name is either "Elie" or "Joseph", like most other Lebanese Maronite Catholics I know

To answer the OP, most of the people who immigrate to America from Central Asia are usually resettled European ethnicities (Various Slavic groups, Jews, Armenians, etc.). Native Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Tajiks, Kyrgyz, and Turkmen are much more rare in the US because they 'have' a much less stake in leaving. The ones who do leave are usually the native Russified elite, who had a huge stake in the Soviet system. It's a reversal of Russification that has happened over the years since the existence of the Russian Empire in that part of the world since the late 19th century. Rural Central Asia was probably the most ethnically diverse rural area in the world, with people deported from all over the Soviet Empire (including peoples such as the Poles to the West, all the way to the Koreans and Japanese on Sakhalin to the East) to the region. It's quite fascinating, but at the same time, also a dark history since these people were basically forced to farm the Central Asian steppes.

For more information on that, you should read Gulag: A History by Anne Applebaum, who wrote extensively on the Soviet Gulag system.

Remember, the distance from Moscow to Tashkent is nearly the same as the distance from Paris to Dakar in the middle of French West Africa. Despite what the Russians believe, they were just as much a colonial empire as the Western Europeans, but simply expanded via land as opposed to having a maritime empire. It's a really fascinating history, really. In fact, I was going to write my Senior thesis on this, since the Soviet Union has typically been seen as 'outside the sphere' of studying Empires and their colonies, since the Soviet Union wanted to create a "Soviet man" dedicated to the Soviet Union without any hangups on ethnic identities. Theoretically, all national groups in the USSR were supposed to be equal. Some of most vehement defenders and writers during the USSR were in fact, of mixed heritage. If you've ever read Sergi Dovlatov, he was half Jewish/half Armenian, but identified as Soviet. It would be these children of mixed heritage who would be the future of the USSR.

However, as we all probably figured out, the USSR was just another way to enforce Russian supremacy over non-Russian groups. It was way more profitable to be a Russian speaker than being a Kazakh speaker, or a Ukrainian speaker. It's only been 19 years since that empire has broken up, so we are still seeing the effect of Soviet/Russian colonization today.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 AM

985 posts, read 3,261,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Just FYI, the Census classifies Afghanis as "white", not "Asian". And many of them often do look it. Including the blond hair LMAO...

Also, Iran would have more cultural and racial affinities to North Indians and Pakistanis but definitely not Southern or Eastern Indians (who have stronger Australoid and even sometimes Mongoloid blood lines).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Yes, you're white. I'm Armenian and also listed myself as "white". I figure that our homeland is the Caucasus which makes me Caucasian, which is white. I believe Persians/Iranians are white also. But Turks/Central Asians are not, they are from Far Eastern heritage (Mongolian) and are Asian or mongoloid by race.
I'll suggest you the same as in the other thread. Go to those countries you mentioned, get to know the people, and see if you can still put them into Australoid or Mongoloid or Caucasian/White.

You'll end up with (a) with a biological sibling who is (b).

Fill (a) with:
-Caucasian/White
-Mongoloid
-Australoid
-Black
-another -oid
-none of the above

(b): the same choice except what you filled (a) with.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM

128 posts, read 263,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
We just discussed this exact thing in my sociology class the other day. Basically "race" is man made and purely subjective. In all truth there is only one race, human. As the op correctly stated Uzbekistan is in Asia, as is India. Both are just as "Asian" as the other, yet they share no common food, culture, language and look nothing like one another. Also some aborigines are "blacker" then many African Americans.

The whole concept of race is divisive and contrived and I hope to God we get away from it once and for all. On almost any census or questionaire that lists race it allows people to check off as many as they like. This right here tells me that it's all a farce.

If race truly doesn't exist then how come we all recognize it when we see it?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Although I think there are races, after a fashion, the fact we recognize someone is of a race is not that great of an argument.

I saw a woman from the Solomon Islands once and I might have deemed her "black", as in African American, if I did not know her story beforehand. We can see physical appearances and then classify those based on what we've been taught are "the races" but that might lead to misleading or false conclusions.

Still I think there probably are "races" in a sense because we've observed that certain genetic conditions are more common in some groups and certain allergies are more common in some groups. Granted deeming those matters "races" would cause us some confusion as we still tend to gravitate toward physical appearance. Going by their differences on genetic ailments the Amish, for example, could quite possibly be termed "a race." The Bushman are certainly a separate race from the Bantus going by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or