U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM

15 posts, read 27,629 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with Starsandstripesforever. You see, I am ethnic Tatar, and I don't consider myself white; I consider myself West Asian. [I am also Korean ethnically.]
Caucasians range from pale skin to olive skin, but the darkest whites are Arabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 27,629 times
StarsandStripesForever, who cares what stupid people think of Central Asians? And why is it important to be white? They are ASIAN!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
When it comes to Central Asian countries IMO, people from Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan tend to look East Asian in appearance while people from countries like Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan tend to look more Middle Eastern.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:38 PM

68 posts, read 141,687 times
Look... it really depends on your view of who is white.

The only people who are seen as white by 100% of the world's population are Northern Europeans.

Once you leave Northern Europeans... you reach a misty area... you run into Southern Europeans and Slavs and Arabs.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Central Asians are a good reason why the whole 'race' system is pointless. They're an intermediate or 'mixture' if you like. Although races are not are set categories.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,516,582 times
What people think Central Asians look like
What they actually look like

Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 PM

248 posts, read 492,343 times
racially or ethnically classifying someone as "white" is ridiculous to me...or using colour to generalise a population. Your cultural upbringing and the colour of your skin don't always go hand in hand with these racial classifications. We spend so much time arguing about who is considered what. "White" is a skin colour, not a culture or a race, or anything of that matter. Even though Latin America is known for being a relatively racist part of the world, I do appreciate at least how people usually conclude somebodies appearance versus their heritage...e.g. the colour of your skin is the colour of your skin, white, pink, coffee coloured, red, brown, black etc...your ethnic identity, or rather your cultural background is then recognised separately, and more importantly. Case and point, I had three brazilian friends who were all coincidently of mixed german, portuguese, and italian heritage except one of the girls also had a japanese grandparent (and you could see this)...so firstly they identified as brazilian, secondly they all had a strong cultural identity with their italian heritage...and then in completely non-related topics, they would jokingly tease or comment on eachothers own complexions and colouring, one girl very fair skinned being "branquinha", or little white girl, the other was something along the line of being light but with dark hair eyes etc, i don't remember the word, and then the girl with the japanese lineage was referred to as some other word that described her colouring...in all, there seemed to be no question or concern about this relation to colour and where your ancestors may have immigrated from.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 AM

546 posts, read 1,221,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think the U.S. census needs a racial category to include Middle Easterners(In Asia), and Central/South Asians. Whiteness seems to be spanned to Far east and to far south into Africa. I think its foolish for the U.S. Census to lump all of these countries from various continents and label them all as white.

Historians are a bunch of Eurocentrics!!! They keep insisting that black Cleopatra and black Annibal were honkies!!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 AM

546 posts, read 1,221,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiIj View Post

The only people who are seen as white by 100% of the world's population are Northern Europeans.

Once you leave Northern Europeans... you reach a misty area... you run into Southern Europeans and Slavs and Arabs.

That's the stupidest thing I have ever read in ages!!! Only an American HS dropout could have anally uttered such a crock!!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 AM

985 posts, read 3,263,765 times
Default die Rassen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiIj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
That's the stupidest thing I have ever read in ages!!! Only an American HS dropout could have anally uttered such a crock!!
SiIj does have a point though.
Having lived in SouthEast Asia and Germany, travelled to and met folks from eastern and southern Europe, I was surprised at how much similarity there was between SE Asians and folks in Mediterranean countries. I particularly noticed this in Turkey, Greece, Italy and Spain.

I've had a lot to do with exchange students from various countries and meeting some of them really changed the way I thought people from this and that country looked like. For example a couple of students from Spain, at least one of them from Asturias in northern Spain, could easily pass as native Indonesians. I asked them if they had any non-Spanish ancestry. They didn't. Some of them were mixed, but from within Spain. Like the Asturian guy had a grandparent from Catalonia in northeastern Spain..

In eastern (a.k.a. Oriental ) Europe a lot of the folks look, well, Oriental.
An exchange student from Poland looked so Asian we all thought she was half Japanese. Turned out she was 100% Polish.

So it does seem to me that people who divided the so called "Old World" into three races were (in a) way oversimplifying. Although it's not surprising considering that the classification came from a large peninsula in one corner of the Old World.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
a bunch of Eurocentrics!!!
I bet if it had been Turks, Semitics, Austronesians, Indians or Chinese that suggested the racial classifications, we'd have ended up with something completely different.

Yet the way it turned out, it's been these people from the one corner that dominated and determined much of our worldview, so a lot of us now have been suggested to think as if there was one couple in Europe, another in Africa, and another one in Asia (Guess which one was Adam & Eve. ); or as if one of Noah's sons (and their respective wives) was Negroid, another one Caucasoid, and another one Mongoloid..

Now back to SiIj's comment, there are indeed different ways of drawing the boundaries of the "White or Caucasoid race". In a narrow sense it includes only the Protestant, mostly Germanic folks of north(west)ern Europe, and in a wide sense it includes Ethiopians and Aryans who extended to northern India. Some even considered Austronesians to be a subgroup of Caucasoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or