U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM

78,752 posts, read 70,579,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Ruth... whatever you call this "eye fold."

This is a well-known Kazakh poet ( a friend of a friend long time ago, so I thought this picture would be a good example.)
I know what kind of eyefold it is, thanks. I was correcting another poster.
Is that Chingis Aitmatov?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 PM

15,042 posts, read 13,637,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know what kind of eyefold it is, thanks.
Honestly speaking I don't. I kinda figured out what other poster was talking about.

Quote:
Is that Chingis Aitmatov?
No, Oljas Suleimenov.

PS. Ruth, I didn't post the pic for you ( you obviously know what Kazakhs look like,) but for other posters.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 AM

152 posts, read 400,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If someone questions your background ( i.e. you listing yourself as Caucasian, ) there should be more to it than just "olive skin with black hair." The way I see it, it's a lot about facial features as well.
Your looks usually indicate your ancestry - meaning your grand-parents, and sometimes even your great-grand-parents, not your parents only.
As far as we've traced our family, we've been in the Mediterranean area (Including great great great grandparents). I've had friends who stare at my face and my features and they say that my features are Caucasian, but my hair is so dark and thick that it's not typical of Caucasians and that's what throws them off. I'm the only one out of my siblings with black hair...maybe I'm adopted :P

Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Most countries around the world have abandoned classifying their citizens or residents by 'race.' I don't think Australia has done so for a long time now. America just seems so race-conscious that it enters everything, from politics, economics to what kind of music or clothing you like.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most countries around the world have abandoned classifying their citizens or residents by 'race.' I don't think Australia has done so for a long time now. America just seems so race-conscious that it enters everything, from politics, economics to what kind of music or clothing you like.
Economics deals with class issues, and class in the US tends to manifest along racial lines. Politics--well, that's obvious. African American music traditions have ALWAYS been trend-setters, since the days of Dixieland, Boogie-woogie, even forms of country music, let along early rock, etc., up to the present day.

Australia does classify citizens by race, at least as far as the Aboriginal people are concerned. Australia didn't have to have any racial classifications for the rest of the population for much of its history, due to the White Australia immigration laws. Even Black scholars invited to speak at conferences in Australia weren't allowed in the country.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 AM

985 posts, read 3,263,110 times
Default racialized us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It is true that America is very race-conscious, yet that's part of what makes America. The country was grounded on the idea of White (Male) (Christian) Supremacy and has throughout its history defined itself by drawing lines between:

the US which initially was WASP and over time was expanded to include Catholics and Oriental Europeans, but for most part of the history has been decidedly White, and

THEM, which has been Indigenous Folks a.k.a. American Indians a.k.a. Native Americans, Africans a.k.a. Negroes a.k.a. Blacks a.k.a. AfroAmericans, Asians & Pacific Islanders, and Latinos, especially the brown ones.

By this I am not trying to malign certain groups. What I'm saying is that it's nearly impossible to imagine or in many cases even to just talk about America as a whole without its strongly racialized backdrop.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,948,622 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;24594180
Indians and Pakistanis are Indo-Europeans, not Asiatics. They're just, um... "tan" Indo-Europeans.

.[/quote]

If you are talking about Northwest Indians (Punjab, Kashmir, Haryana, etc.) you are probably right.

For the rest of India, especially the South and East, not at all

Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
For the rest of India, especially the South and East, not at all
You're right. And there are the tribal peoples. Thanks for calling that to my attention.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 27,621 times
Well, Central asians are ASIAN.
arabs are caucasian race, like turks, italians, ukrainians, russians, germans, austrians, irish.
middle easterners are middle eastern ASIAN, not white.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 AM

15 posts, read 27,621 times
central asians are ASIAN, as in my statement. arabs are white
middle easterners are middle eastern ASIAN.
arabs are white--look at their skin if you ever go to libanon!
many ignorant americans dismiss arabs as "dark skin" because they think caucasians are pale with blonde hairs and blue eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or