Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times

Advertisements

I worked with a couple of Khazaks in the oil biz and they look like Chinese guys with epithelial eye folds but light-skinned, tall, and heavy like Russians. I also have met a couple of pure white European guys born in Khazakstan but were ethnic Russians (maybe 30% of country).

I think a lot of people don't realize that more nations than the USA are "melting pots". Japan is one of the few that's almost 95+% of their own ethnic group.

examples:
Malaysia = Malay, Chinese, Indian, Arab, British (VERY white)

India = Aryan (white), australoid native of the subcontinent, Burmese type people in far eastern province east of Banga Desh, all sorts of ethnic groups with different languages and customs. I met a lady from there and thought she was Chinese!

Kuwait: Arab (less than 50%), Indian, Phillipino, Iranian (Persian)

Algeria/Libya and other Magreb countries in N Africa: Arab, Berber (a totally non-related white nationality), black African (both there for generations and recent immigrants chasing the oil and construction money from impovished countries S of the Sahara Desert.

Sudan: until it split apart was "white" Arab, "black" Arab (Arab language but all or part black African), very black African (almost blue-black Dinka and other groups).

Great Britain: Increasingly less and less English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish (and yes they DO consider themselves different ethnic groups! All very white :-) and more Middle Eastern, Indian/Pak, African from all over the former British Empire. I almost forgot the many rich Russians living there either immigrated or as second homes (and banks) trying to keep their money away from Putin (and employing food-testers to avoid eating PlutoniumBurgers) and buying all the soccer/football teams.

Even post-breakup Russia has all sorts of ethnic groups that haven't (yet anyway) splintered away. For instants the Chukogsk from the Russian Far East are thought to be ethnically almost identical to the Inuit (Canadian and Alaskan native people). Also, all the olive-skinned SW mountain people of the Cacausus Mtns and Persian/Azarbaijan/Armenian folk around the north (Russian) shore of the Black and Caspian Seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
The white people in Central Asia are resettled Russians and East Germans. The native people from that region appear to be mixed caucasian-oriental. Also, don't let footage of "Borat" fool you; the scenes of Kazakhstan were always filmed in Eastern European countries like Romania.

The U.S. census definitions of "race" are more political than they are biological. For example it doesn't make much sense that folks from Iran are classified as "White", but folks in nearby Afghanistan are "Asian". There's no real racial divide there, and folks from Iran certainly have more in common racially and linguistically with their South Asian neighbors than they do with - say - Norway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I think what happened with that map is someone assumed that all of Russia and the former Soviet Union (which would include much of Central Asia) was populated by Europeans. It's sloppy geography. And on the census list posted above, the Central Asian nationalities were omitted altogether. People are simply uneducated about the diversity of Asian nationalities. When you say "Asian", everyone still thinks of Chinese, Japanese, SE Asian, mainly.

Indians and Pakistanis are Indo-Europeans, not Asiatics. They're just, um... "tan" Indo-Europeans.

Yeah, those half-Indo-Euro and half-Asian central Asians, the Uighurs, the Tibetan nomads, some of the Kazakhs, are really good looking.

To answer someone's question about how many Central Asians there are in the US, there are thousands of Tibetans, due to the US gov't's Tibetan Resettlement Project and Tibetan Reunification Project.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I worked with a couple of Khazaks in the oil biz and they look like Chinese guys with epithelial eye folds but light-skinned, tall, and heavy like Russians.
^
This. A very accurate description that I would give myself.
Kazakhs indeed look Asian, they are just built differently comparably to many other Asians.
( And yes, Russians ARE heavy-built men.)

Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I worked with a couple of Khazaks in the oil biz and they look like Chinese guys with epithelial eye folds
. For instants the Chukogsk from the Russian Far East are thought to be ethnically almost identical to the Inuit (Canadian and Alaskan native people).
Do you mean "epicanthic" eye fold? And the Chuckchi of the Chuckchi Peninsula, across from Alaska?

Where is the key to the map that was posted in the OP?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you mean "epicanthic" eye fold? And the Chuckchi of the Chuckchi Peninsula, across from Alaska?

Sorry about my atrocious spelling. Yes on all counts is what I meant to say.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,720 times
Default die Rassen

Quote:
I think a lot of people don't realize that more nations than the USA are "melting pots". Japan is one of the few that's almost 95+% of their own ethnic group.
You're right.
Even in the ethnically homogeneous Japan there's a relatively wide variation of physical features. Some native Japanese have Caucasian or White features* and/or Austronesian features which you can see in the video.

*an example would be Ken Hiroi who is 100% Japanese.

The racial classification a lot of us are familiar with were created by people from the northwestern corner of the so called Old World who saw the world in terms of White, Black, and "the rest". Gravely undermining the phenotypical diversity existing among billions of people outside the northwestern corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
The U.S. census definitions of "race" are more political than they are biological. For example it doesn't make much sense that folks from Iran are classified as "White", but folks in nearby Afghanistan are "Asian". There's no real racial divide there, and folks from Iran certainly have more in common racially and linguistically with their South Asian neighbors than they do with - say - Norway.
Linguistically the Aryans have in fact more in common with Norwegians than with South Indians. But the example with Iran and Afghanistan is a good one. Persian is one of the languages where the native speakers can look anything from Negroid to Caucasoid to Mongoloid (to whatever else -oids you've got out there).

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
You're right.
Even in the ethnically homogeneous Japan there's a relatively wide variation of physical features. Some native Japanese have Caucasian or White features* and/or Austronesian features which you can see in the video.

Linguistically the Aryans have in fact more in common with Norwegians than with South Indians. But the example with Iran and Afghanistan is a good one. Persian is one of the languages where the native speakers can look anything from Negroid to Caucasoid to Mongoloid (to whatever else -oids you've got out there).
That's really interesting about there being Austronesian ancestry in Japan. It's the southernmost Islands that were populated by Austronesians moving north from Vietnam originally, then Taiwan, then Okinawa and the Ryukyu Islands. Thanks for the photo.

Latvian and Lithuanian are the closest living languages to Tocharian and Sanskrit especially (languages of the Aryans).

Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 PM

152 posts, read 493,373 times
I've struggled with identifying myself since middle school when you had to bubble your race on a scan-tron. I circle that I'm caucasian because that's what my parents told me, but if I have a classmate that looked at my paper and saw my choice, then they always question me.

My family is from the Mediterranean area. My sister is very fair skinned and so when she says she's caucasian, nobody questions her. However people don't believe I'm caucasian (I always get mistaken for indian, hispanic, or Latina...I have light olive skin with black hair). I'd like to think it's more of an ignorance on the average American's part, but I'm not sure. Sometimes I get confused on what I'm supposed to be. I don't argue with people though. I tell them to classify me as they wish.

I know a couple of families like mine though where you'd think the siblings were adopted because they look like they are different races (one is an italian family and the other is an algerian family, which are both Mediterranean)

What make you caucasian, central asian, hispanic, etc...is it your ancestry or the way you look?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Ruth... whatever you call this "eye fold."

This is a well-known Kazakh poet ( a friend of a friend long time ago, so I thought this picture would be a good example.)

Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
I've struggled with identifying myself since middle school when you had to bubble your race on a scan-tron. I circle that I'm caucasian because that's what my parents told me, but if I have a classmate that looked at my paper and saw my choice, then they always question me.

My family is from the Mediterranean area. My sister is very fair skinned and so when she says she's caucasian, nobody questions her. However people don't believe I'm caucasian (I always get mistaken for indian, hispanic, or Latina...I have light olive skin with black hair). I'd like to think it's more of an ignorance on the average American's part, but I'm not sure. Sometimes I get confused on what I'm supposed to be. I don't argue with people though. I tell them to classify me as they wish.

I know a couple of families like mine though where you'd think the siblings were adopted because they look like they are different races (one is an italian family and the other is an algerian family, which are both Mediterranean)

What make you caucasian, central asian, hispanic, etc...is it your ancestry or the way you look?
If someone questions your background ( i.e. you listing yourself as Caucasian, ) there should be more to it than just "olive skin with black hair." The way I see it, it's a lot about facial features as well.
Your looks usually indicate your ancestry - meaning your grand-parents, and sometimes even your great-grand-parents, not your parents only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia