U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 PM

403 posts, read 1,434,411 times

Advertisements

The one child policy in china helped to bring the average number of children per women from 7 in 1970 to 1.7, which the government says has helped from an extra 400 million babies from being born. But the one child policy causes hundreds of millions of children to grow up being lonely from having no siblings which can create social problems. There is a large preference for sons rather than daughters to have someone take care of parents when they age and to carry on the family name. And women who are pregnant with a third child or more are forced to have abortions, which is killing a human being! I think its good that the policy has kept the population from soaring to 2 billion people or more but I dont think its good that children have to grow up to onlies and people to have forced abortions to keep population growth down.

I just recently read an article of a town in China where 41 women had to have forced abortions in one day. They were given an overload of drugs and they couldnt walk around for 48 hours and the women were also beaten because some of them didn't want to perform the abortions. I think this is insane the way the government treated the women. I think the policy should be limited to up to 4 children, so there wont be as many abortions and children can grow up with siblings.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM

117 posts, read 287,400 times
4 children is a bit too much! I think it should be just two, that way the kids won't be lonely.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,924,267 times
It is too bad that families are so ignorant of their surrounding that they have to have the gov come in and tell them what they need to do so they collectivly do not doom the whole popualtion.

The one child policy is excellent and they need to implement that here and elsewhere also as the foundation for every ecological crisis today and the future will be the fact there are too many people and not eneough resources.

It is of your opinion that an abortion is the killing of a human where it is of others that an unborn child is not a human yet, just a collection of cells.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,620,606 times
I agree K350 Being lonely in a country of a billion people is a little much ado about nothing. If the population control realizes a healthier more viable environment for the people and children already born, and in fact, prevents famine and deprivation, it becomes necessary and takes precedence over singletons needing a playmate. Eventually it may be relaxed to two children and at some point people may get the message and there may be no need for such Draconian measures. We better start thinking about this problem here in the US as well-I mean 300 million and counting??? How crowded do we want to be? Or is the economy so tied to housing growth and expansion of consumers that it can't be stopped?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,687,442 times
There is a common misconception regarding only children that I feel compelled to address. Being an only child does not mean being lonely! In my opinion, many onlys tend to be *more* social than those raised with siblings. Why? Because onlys must look outside the comfort zone (family) for social interaction.

Additionally, there are many positives regarding raising an only. Onlys never have to wonder, like an old Smother's Brothers running gag, "Does mom really like me best?". When you're the only, there's no question about whether you're the favorite. Many onlys have great self esteem. The family's resources aren't stretched as much when there is only one child. There is much more flexibility. And most onlys I know are not in any way "spoiled" (another common misconception held by those with sibs).

I know the OPs post concerned more than just the pros and cons of being a singleton, but I just didn't want to let the line about being "lonely" pass without comment.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,452,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is too bad that families are so ignorant of their surrounding that they have to have the gov come in and tell them what they need to do so they collectivly do not doom the whole popualtion.

The one child policy is excellent and they need to implement that here and elsewhere also as the foundation for every ecological crisis today and the future will be the fact there are too many people and not eneough resources.

It is of your opinion that an abortion is the killing of a human where it is of others that an unborn child is not a human yet, just a collection of cells.
Obviously, the only opinion that counts in this case is the opinion of the one who is holding the gun- the Chinese government.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:29 PM

740 posts, read 1,841,947 times
Tell that to the thousands of recently childless couples in China that lost their only child in the earthquake. China's one-child policy is crazy. I do not buy the reasons the (Communist) Chinese government give about scarcity of land and food. For all we know, it's propaganda to reinforce their authoritarian-style government. They suppress information from their people, so how do we know the policy is justified?

Singapore used to have a two-child policy beginning early 70's, for the same "reasons" as China. By the start of the 90's, there was a growing concern of 'graying' population, wherein older folks become the dominant age group. This, according to Singapore officials, could lead to severe draining of resources on medical, federal and social levels. One concern is a likely shortage of younger folks to take care of older folks. So they encouraged people to have "three or more if you can afford it".

Japan has already reached the 'graying' generation. Declining birth rates, declining population, older people increasing in great numbers. It's only going to get worse. There are ways of limiting population growth without such policy. Do what Europe does. Jack up the cost of living. Increase availability of indulgences and activities. So that people become too occupied and self-centered to want to have kids.

I don't think couples that have only one child do so because of the psychology as Nelly stated. There are only a few reasons why they have only one. One, less financially costlier than having more. Two, less burden than having more. Three, medical issues of the parent(s).

For me, I'm pro-procreation. I believe that people (preferably couples) should have as many kids as they can afford and able to manage. There should not be any cap. It isn't fair for the only child to shoulder all the responsibility of taking care of his/her parents.

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 05-31-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2008, 11:20 PM

So, with that, what do you think the maximum population Earth can support?

With that figure, what do you suppose everyone should do when it reaches that point?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:40 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,354,208 times
Default Russia threatened by plummeting population

VOA News - Russia Threatened by Plummeting Population

An interesting contrast is Russia. Now non-communist (sort of) suffering from exactly the opposite problem, insufficient reproduction. The biggest country in the world with one of the world's lowest population densities, and a crashed birth rate. No amount of persuasion will induce Russian women to have babies.

I wonder what the inherent difference between people is?
Culture? Geography? Education? Income? Religion? The communist Chinese have done everything possible to reduce the birth rate and the sort-of communist Russia can't get enough babies.

Odd isn't it?

Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 AM

Because in Russia they have the sense not to have a kid and not be able to provide for it. That is something many people in many countries need to figure out. It is real simple, if you can't afford it, don't have it.

The Russian situation actually has turned around even more so then many people expected which if it holds steady will force researchers to recalculate their popualtion expectation figures for Russia and other countries which have indulged on the agenda of boosting their populations. The country is giving out bonuses now for women to have kids. Ukraine is doing the same.

China (in geographic location) has always been the most populated area in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or