U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:10 PM

229 posts, read 1,110,869 times

Advertisements

Yes, I don't have a desire to live in the US my entire life actually. I want to move away and experience other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,201,481 times
The most "normal" Indian city by American standards is probably Goa. It is probably a result of the Portuguese colonization. Much more laid back culture and the people don't hassle you as much as in the rest of India.

However I don't think there is much of a job market in Goa outside of tourism for Europeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, not Indian.

Westerners do get a lot of stares. Now I was with my wife who is rather a very attractive woman so this may have had some influence, I know though I do get stares and gawks cause I went out only once without my wife to get us some food, though I admit it was not at all as intensivly of a stare fest as when i was with my wife.

The guy was trying to get us to go to some tourist bureau and then started making some rather obscene remarks to my wife, she of course resonded back at him in Hindi, he then grabed her arm, she gave him a shove then I gave him a fist. I am not a violent person but this guy was very annoying and down right rude, my writing does not even begin to show the situation.

But that was a one time thing, though we did get in a few verbal assaults with people that were being outright stubborn (no, I do not want a rikshaw ride) we did not experience violence during our time there.

We walked by a school, HS or middle school, and those people about went nuts, i must say, it is probably less frustrating traveling as a single guy, those poeple lose all their marbles at the sight of an attractive female.

Which by the way, i am not at all saying Indian women are ugly because quite the contrary, they are not, but something about the "western/european white women" clicks in their heads.

Mumbia we had a whole lot less problems with it though, defintly a much more modern city and in my opinion the most progressive place on average in all of India though I did not visit every city.

If I were you I would go anyway to try it out, life is too short to stick around the same place all the time.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,923,527 times
I spent most of my time in Goa and left it out on purpose because to me it really is sort of its own little world. In my opinion it does not represent the Indian culture as a whole and it being the former colony until recent is the reason.

But boy, did I party there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or