U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 AM

22 posts, read 121,484 times

Advertisements

I have lived in different Asian countries. I live in Vietnam and am moving to the Philippines.

One thing I have noticed about Asians is their FEAR of Black people. In Indonesia, my wife and I told the maid we had guests coming for lunch and she asked if they were American. We said yes. When she saw the tall Black man come through the door, she ran off and hid from him. I've seen that episode repeated in Singapore and Vietnam.

"American" to most Asians means White. My wife (then, since we are now divorced) is Chinese but she describes herself as American and the Asians don't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times
I live in Japan, and I'm a white American guy who teaches English here.

Japan has ALWAYS had a love affair with 'America' in recent memory...and all things America are pretty much all things African-American. Hip-hop being the most popularity, but also the althletes and movie stars (action or comedian, etc.)

-------

Just reading the post above mine (Vietnam/Indonesia, etc) are completely different places than Japan. I've lived in Asia for 13 years and been to all the countries many times. I'd agree his assessment for other Asian countries...but Japan is a strong exception.

From my observation, Japan seriously loves African-American culture...they are legendary for it.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 AM

14,252 posts, read 11,652,713 times
We were in Japan and the PI for quite a spell when my Dad was in the Navy. Dad loved Japan. As far as race is considered, the Japanese don't really look at color so much as the fact that you are not Japanese. Traditional Japanese culture is built on EXTREME politeness and rules of conduct. It is very easy for a non Japanese to offend if you are not careful. Maybe not so much now as it was back when we were there. Times have changed. However, my memories of Japanese culture are of the former rules. 1964-1969. I remember a scrupulously honest, polite, clean and gracious Japan. When in Rome never applied more. if you take the time to learn the culture and THINK like a Japanese interaction is easier and your race matters very little. There is sooo much beauty in Japans culture it boggles the mind and can't really be described in a short blog like this.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:21 AM

1,772 posts, read 5,611,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post

i myself being a cat from Socal born in Japan heres what i have to say
i love u guys but to be honest i dont like all the foreigners invading my home country because I like to keep Japan "Japan" and stop it from being so westernized but other then that if ur in my country ill treat u with respect as long as u treat the country and the people with respect
I think u will come to love Japan especially if u know how to speak it
hope that helps
I can certainly understand that. But you need to go home and make some babies. Japan is doomed by their low birth rate. IIRC, Japan is the most homogeneous society in the world. I can respect that. But you guys need to increase your birthrate. And stop living so long too! You're not doing yourselves any favors. Pretty soon you will need to start inviting immigrants.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM

118 posts, read 446,808 times
Default African-Americans in Japan

Just on the "off chance" you're still checking out this post. Before I travel to any country, I always check out the posts to get an idea of how others were treated there. I ran across one post that stated the Japanese wouldn't sit next to a man on the train during Shinjuku rush hour. Other people told me that the Japanese would be scared of me because I have dark skin (I'm African-American). I only trust my own experiences and decided to go.

I had the time of my life!!!!! I met a TON of Harajuku girls, went to an underground punk club, posed with the Rockabilly's in Yoyogi Park, and was befriended by a nice elderly couple. Needless to say, you won't have ANY problem in Japan. I would suggest reading extensively on the culture and learning at least the pleasantries (thank you, excuse me, good morning). The only barrier I found was the language barrier. If anyone made racist comments, I didn't understand them and they were very discreet.

My treatment there has prompted me to learn Japanese and teach for a while there after I complete my B.A. Beautiful high energy culture and beautiful people. Will be back in heartbeat. I've travelled extensively all over the world and will be very happy to give you my honest opinion of different countries. PM me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I've read a lot on this and as expected the opinions vary. I was wondering if any African Americans here have been to Asia and how were they treated. I know Japan is an island so they don't see many other races besides their own. I've read Asians would run up to you for a photo or something but nothing ever as bad as here in America.

I don't trust everything I read online usually but i still would like opinions. Example is I've read that African Americans are treated very nice then I've read that there is a lot of harassmet and pointing ect. Does where you go determine how you're treated? I would understand the odd looks after all I am in their country. I read you're usually ok if you tell them you're from the US but given history I'm not too sure about that. Any reviews?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM

812 posts, read 2,116,374 times
from what i've noticed, westerners are treated far better in asian countries than asians in western countries on a social level with some exceptions. asians are known to be mocked and laughed at and ridiculed in western countries especially america. i don't think this is fair but it is what it is.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
From what I've heard from my sister it's really other kinds of Asians that can, at times, be treated a bit badly. For example I heard if you're a woman in a Japanese airport you should not tell a man you're Filipino even if you are Filipino. Filipino equates to "hooker" for some Japanese men. (Or so I've heard) Some also reportedly have problems with Koreans and other people that used to be in their Empire.

Like with many things this is probably more true in rural areas and with the elderly.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,849,046 times
As others have stated, many Japanese (particularly older ones) may be silent about their dislike but they may still have an issue with your race. One of my friends is Japanese and I've heard a great deal about her family (she is now living in Japan again) and they are not the type to openly discriminate. I’m not so sure if that’s a good thing because every smile may have a malignant thought behind it.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM

118 posts, read 446,808 times
I totally agree. I don't think enough people really bother to learn the customs or even the language before going. Increasing the birhtrate's going to be hard. The women I met there don't want any kids and are into their careers or just having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I can certainly understand that. But you need to go home and make some babies. Japan is doomed by their low birth rate. IIRC, Japan is the most homogeneous society in the world. I can respect that. But you guys need to increase your birthrate. And stop living so long too! You're not doing yourselves any favors. Pretty soon you will need to start inviting immigrants.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 AM

403 posts, read 1,044,154 times
I don't think it would be an issue. If it's anything like Korea they will just assume you're in the military and not pay much attention to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or