Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,307 times

Advertisements

oh, here is the real cover. as you can see asians have no problem being silly and funny. actually, that's how they like to have fun and be relaxed often with their goofy gameshows and antics. this pours over in other areas as they like cutsey and off the wall stuff often. african-americans in general would find this irritating and foreign to them as they hate to appear undignified in any way, especially when it comes to thier idea of fun and enjoyment so it's not a good fit as one is very light and silly, the other is the other extreme 'usually'.

YouTube - Ai Otsuka - SMILY (sub)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
Why are you scaring this person? As far as people not sitting next to you on the train...um..not true! I heard about this and expected to be shuned once there, but people sat next me. Maybe that person smelled bad?

Perhaps they were calling me all sorts of names, but face-to-face interactions went extremely well. I found the Japanese people to be very hospitable and sweet. Maybe if I were a man...not so? I find most people are more accepting of women then men.
African Americans in Japan are treated the same as Indians, Whites, south east asians etc. The worst that will happen to you in Japan is just japanese people looking (maybe staring sometimes) out of curiosity, there is no hate really. Japan is like 99% asian, so hearing another language/seeing foreigners is interesting.

Also Ai Otsuka just represents some japanese pop. Not all music is like that. Many japanese like heavy metal for example, roppongi has alot of hip hop etc. I'm japanese and only like one song from her.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Also Ai Otsuka just represents some japanese pop. Not all music is like that. Many japanese like heavy metal for example, roppongi has alot of hip hop etc. I'm japanese and only like one song from her.
heh, but that's hardly the point considering we're talking in 'general' and that is african- 'americans' and japanese culture in "day to day" living is like pairing a bicycle to a rabbit. it's just not the likeliest to go together. the culture is so different. i mean there are a lot more african immigrants than african-american for a reason. roppongi is the expat and foreigner club and bar area of japan, i have family in shinjuki myself and have been there as well. actually i've found a lot more african immigrants who were bouncers and bar owners trying to hustle you into their clubs. most of them weren't that bad or too agressive though. actually the most annoying ones were australians etc.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
An unusual fusing of African-American and traditional Japanese that I've read about is Jero. (Jerome White Jr.,) He is one-quarter Japanese and from Pittsburgh. He sings "enka" which has been likened to Japanese country or blues music. (From what I've heard of it comparing it to blues makes more sense to me, but it varies)

Unlikely Japanese Music Star Jero Opens the National Cherry Blossom Festival - washingtonpost.com

YouTube - Jero: American Enka Singer 1 ジェãƒ*

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,535 times
African-American folks might want to check this site out: Black Tokyo.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,561 times
I was actually going to post the name of that site, but I was too lazy.

I knew about it since at least 2001.

It gives you a great look at black life in Japan, and Japanese society in general. If anyone is interested about being black in Japan, that is a good site to look at.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:31 PM

118 posts, read 485,520 times
I was want to point out that the only thing separating you from the people is language. The faster you learn it, the faster you'll make friends and will be accepted. There are places that you cannot go (no foreigners) and I don't think you'd want to go to these places which I hear are filled with kidnapped Asian women.

In any culture those that hang out only with each and refuse to learn ANYTHING about the culture are shunned. Japan is an awesome country.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:58 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,404 times
Here's a video from someone living in Japan.

Notice what she said about a lot of natives having her skin tone or even darker (she's probably in southern Japan).

In fact, she could pass easily as a native in southeast Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yes most Filipinos are Mongoloids, but there are a lot of Filipinos that don't look Mongoloid at all

[In the original post you could see pictures Smtchll posted and see what s/he meant]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
The population of large swaths of areas of the world wouldn't fit into the category of mongoloid nor negroid nor caucasoid. These include Southeast, South, Central Asia, a large part of West Asia, northern Africa, Madagascar and Oceania.
In fact, it's often crisscross. The pics from Smtchll show it pretty well (lovely pics btw ). A lot of people on the Philippines and Indonesia look negroid, many native sub-saharan Africans look mongoloid, a lot of natives of Oman and Saudi look negroid, whilst many Ethiopians look like black caucasoid..
For the most part, they're neither mong, nor negr, nor cauc. Some consider them as a mix, others include them as part of another racial group. Neither one being completely wrong.
That's why there's been so many different racial classifications.
For example Blumenbach, the man who made popular the idea of racial classification based on comparative anatomy, introduced five races.
If it were for me, I'd include an Austronesian race (similar to Blumenbach's Malayan race) .

Quote:
Here's a nice video of southeast Asian children.

If you lump them together, they look pretty homogeneous. But if you look at the individuals, at their nose and/or eyes and/or hair and/or skin, a lot of them don't fit into either negr nor cauc nor mong, and if you go to those countries yourself, you'll see even more variations.
Nose form varies from negroid (called pésék) to caucasoid (called mancung).
Eyes vary from mongoloid (called sipit) to ???.
Hair texture from kinky (negroid) to straight (???).
Skin color from dark (negroid) to light (???).
Lips vary from thick (negroid) to thin (???).
Etc.

You may consider them as:
-a mix of negroid and/or caucasoid and/or negroid and/or any additional race (australoid, capoid, dravidian, pacific, etc.)
-a whole 'nother race altogether
-a part of one human race

Choose your pick.
Quote:
Another great video where you can see how southeast Asians look like.

Quote:
SE Asians

He** Obama could pass easily for an ordinary Indonesian if it wasn't for his height!

In this video (about Obama) you could also see how SE Asians look like. The last guy interviewed has mongoloid eyes and negroid hair.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM

65 posts, read 253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
African Americans in Japan are treated the same as Indians, Whites, south east asians etc. The worst that will happen to you in Japan is just japanese people looking (maybe staring sometimes) out of curiosity, there is no hate really. Japan is like 99% asian, so hearing another language/seeing foreigners is interesting.

True to a point, you will probably have no problems in Japan. However I will warn you that Japannesse people can be very racist particularly against black people behind closed doors. Same goes with Chinnese and Koreans.

The average Japanese person would rather have their son or daugher marry a white person over a black person because they percieve it to be a stigma to be black. Plus like a previous poster stated alot of Asians have not seen many blacks so they tend to be scared of them.

All and all though you should be fine. Asian people tend to keep their racist views to themselves.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:06 PM
JL

8,521 posts, read 14,527,526 times
At least it is behind closed doors. From my experiences in America, i've been mocked or teased openly or some snide remark though it has been much less as the years passed due to increasing diversity and awareness. I'd rather people keep it to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia