Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times

Advertisements

Korea is a whole different kettle of fish. They don't like African-Americans there because of all the violence that has occurred between blacks and Korean immigrants in the U.S. and there is a substantial piece of the Korean population that does not want non-Koreans dating the local women and they will sometimes resort to violence to make that point clear.

Japanese youth like African-Americans, for the most part, especially with the hip hop boom that was ushered in there about 15 years ago and I have seen blacks and Japanese hanging out together in Harajuku. However, it also has to be said that the overwhelming majority of Japanese women prefer to be with Japanese men for a while bunch of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 PM

118 posts, read 485,551 times
Quite strangely..and I've heard this from a number of women from South Korea, Japan and China...it's considered an "honor" if a woman marries a white man. No joke. Anyone else hear this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Korea is a whole different kettle of fish. They don't like African-Americans there because of all the violence that has occurred between blacks and Korean immigrants in the U.S. and there is a substantial piece of the Korean population that does not want non-Koreans dating the local women and they will sometimes resort to violence to make that point clear.

Japanese youth like African-Americans, for the most part, especially with the hip hop boom that was ushered in there about 15 years ago and I have seen blacks and Japanese hanging out together in Harajuku. However, it also has to be said that the overwhelming majority of Japanese women prefer to be with Japanese men for a while bunch of reasons.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times
^just freaks which may seem normal because there may be quite a few.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 PM

256 posts, read 479,357 times
In Tokyo you'll be looked on at disdain becasue of the large numbers of problems the African immigrants cause. By the older folk. The younger people will assume your a rapper and they have many stereotypes of blacks. Do you like your picture taken? Well get ready lmao!

The country folk will shamelessly stare at you. Prepare for people to be afraid of you, ask you strange questions, demand to touch your hair or skin, or ask you about either rap or basketball. Oh, and you'll be called "gajinn" which means "foreigner" or "kokojin" which means "black". People will also not want to sit by you on the subway. Enjoy Japan!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
^ Hehehe..heheh..heeeh. >D Love all that sarcasm in the post. (Unless, you really mean it? O.o)

Ok, I'll try to stay more "on topic" responding to this post. ^_^ Sorry about that from earlier..
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
from what i've noticed, westerners are treated far better in asian countries than asians in western countries on a social level with some exceptions. asians are known to be mocked and laughed at and ridiculed in western countries especially america. i don't think this is fair but it is what it is.
Again, no, Asians are not always mocked and ridiculed in Western countries. And vice versa with Westerners are treated better than Asians within Asia. (Not surprise that this would come from you so..)

I think it will depend on how people interact with others and where you live (i.e. city vs rural). Since majority wise of Asia is homogeneous in population, it's kind of not surprising if a Westerner would be stared at (or treated a little differently). Unfortunately, Western movies do play a role in crafting stereotypes about certain people. Plus, I'm well-aware of that sign thing going on where some bars ban foreigners from going in (unless you're Asian).

I'm sure that mode will break one day. Hopefully, for the younger generation. There just needs to be some kind of growing awareness. (Oh yeah, and for Hollywood to stop making stereotypes! At least, to change out of it...)

The great Khatzumoto-san has no trouble at all on his part (but he's in Tokyo so..ehhh..). The older generation, I can understand. The younger generation can still change with the world influence. Most likely, not every young Japanese thinks a black person is a "rapper/gangster".

(Also, I don't see what's wrong with Asians marrying non-Asians. In this day and age, it's pretty common actually. =.= Although, the "honor" thing? I dunno. I have relatives who went through mixed marriages. It's all base on a person's happiness, yey?)

Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
^ Hehehe..heheh..heeeh. >D Love all that sarcasm in the post. (Unless, you really mean it? O.o)

Ok, I'll try to stay more "on topic" responding to this post. ^_^ Sorry about that from earlier..

Again, no, Asians are not always mocked and ridiculed in Western countries. And vice versa with Westerners are treated better than Asians within Asia. (Not surprise that this would come from you so..)

I think it will depend on how people interact with others and where you live (i.e. city vs rural). Since majority wise of Asia is homogeneous in population, it's kind of not surprising if a Westerner would be stared at (or treated a little differently). Unfortunately, Western movies do play a role in crafting stereotypes about certain people. Plus, I'm well-aware of that sign thing going on where some bars ban foreigners from going in (unless you're Asian).

I'm sure that mode will break one day. Hopefully, for the younger generation. There just needs to be some kind of growing awareness. (Oh yeah, and for Hollywood to stop making stereotypes! At least, to change out of it...)

The great Khatzumoto-san has no trouble at all on his part (but he's in Tokyo so..ehhh..). The older generation, I can understand. The younger generation can still change with the world influence. Most likely, not every young Japanese thinks a black person is a "rapper/gangster".

(Also, I don't see what's wrong with Asians marrying non-Asians. In this day and age, it's pretty common actually. =.= Although, the "honor" thing? I dunno. I have relatives who went through mixed marriages. It's all base on a person's happiness, yey?)
heh. just look at your post. again, there is no theme of constant arrogance akin to gratuitous insults, jabs and what not. there is little to no 'petty' maliciousness behind it, your whole post actually speaks more well of asian society in comparison. we asians have been very mocked and 'made fun of' in the west routinely, k? asians perceptions or 'stereotypes' are just not meant to be as malicious or deriding. sorry, you are incorrect on the point of the jist i was making. you can keep missing this point but i know what i'm talking about. sure, there are some stereotypes of some people being rappers or what not but it's not meant as an insult usually. they just really don't know as they go by western movies and music videos. someone calling you a 'foreigner' is not that bad, in the context of how they and why they call people who are foreigners 'foreigner'. but calling someone a '*****' or '****' or saying very sexually insulting stereotypes 'me love you long time', 'how much does it cost to **** a chinese chick? five dollars hahaha' "meant" and "intended" to be extremely disprespectful and disdainful and "jeering" of nonamerican cultures is a commonplace pasttime with many americans and we 'immigrants' would have vastly preferred to just call us 'foreigner' and left us alone and ignored us like most asians do. please asians are much less socially rude than what i've seen americans do. no way, no how, period, and end of story.

Last edited by leaana; 08-12-2009 at 12:30 AM..

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
heh. just look at your post. again, there is no theme of constant arrogance akin to gratuitous insults, jabs and what not. there is little to no 'petty' maliciousness behind it, your whole post actually speaks more well of asian society in comparison. we asians have been very mocked and 'made fun of' in the west routinely, k? asians perceptions or 'stereotypes' are just not meant to be as malicious or deriding. sorry, you are incorrect on the point of the jist i was making. you can keep missing this point but i know what i'm talking about. sure, there are some stereotypes of some people being rappers or what not but it's not meant as an insult usually. they just really don't know as they go by western movies and music videos. someone calling you a 'foreigner' is not that bad, in the context of how they and why they call people who are foreigners 'foreigner'. but calling someone a '*****' or '****' or saying very sexually insulting stereotypes 'me love you long time', 'how much does it cost to **** a chinese chick? five dollars hahaha' "meant" and "intended" to be extremely disprespectful and disdainful and "jeering" of nonamerican cultures is a commonplace pasttime with many americans and we 'immigrants' would have vastly preferred to just call us 'foreigner' and left us alone and ignored us like most asians do. please asians are much less socially rude than what i've seen americans do. no way, no how, period, and end of story.
So much hate in there. Look, I know you must've had a terrible time, but again, not everyone had those kind of experiences. =.= As for those people playing on Asian stereotypes, those are the ignorant minority.

It's pretty much universal really about how stereotypes go. It can happen in a Western country and it can happen in Asian country. (Although, Taiwan is probably the most accepting of all Asian countries towards foreigners.)

It's up to an individual as to whether they want to embrace society or just hang out with their own kind. Also, it's up to an individual as to how they do feel of the negative comments towards them. If you can shrug them off knowing that majority wise of people will not see you as that, then, it's good.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA
In Tokyo you'll be looked on at disdain becasue of the large numbers of problems the African immigrants cause. By the older folk. The younger people will assume your a rapper and they have many stereotypes of blacks. Do you like your picture taken? Well get ready lmao!

The country folk will shamelessly stare at you. Prepare for people to be afraid of you, ask you strange questions, demand to touch your hair or skin, or ask you about either rap or basketball. Oh, and you'll be called "gajinn" which means "foreigner" or "kokojin" which means "black". People will also not want to sit by you on the subway. Enjoy Japan!
Kinda crazy, considering that the Japanese in general, are crazy over Obama.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM

118 posts, read 485,551 times
Why are you scaring this person? As far as people not sitting next to you on the train...um..not true! I heard about this and expected to be shuned once there, but people sat next me. Maybe that person smelled bad?

Perhaps they were calling me all sorts of names, but face-to-face interactions went extremely well. I found the Japanese people to be very hospitable and sweet. Maybe if I were a man...not so? I find most people are more accepting of women then men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post

Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM

YouTube - cute u-know

Listen to this japanese song called "smiley" by otsuka ai. it's "very" japanese and kind of sums up a lot of japanese pop culture. i would say some african-americans can do well there if they are 'very' open-minded, are quirky themselves and are respectful in their manners similar to the japanese, some african immigrants do okay as well. but for most african-americans because of the culture difference, it's not the best fit and a whole different universe. all in all, nerdy people whether they are black or white will be received better as they usually are the first to fault themselves and also be conscientious toward everything and everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia