U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 PM

1,292 posts, read 2,812,981 times
Question African Americans in Japan?

I've read a lot on this and as expected the opinions vary. I was wondering if any African Americans here have been to Asia and how were they treated. I know Japan is an island so they don't see many other races besides their own. I've read Asians would run up to you for a photo or something but nothing ever as bad as here in America.

I don't trust everything I read online usually but i still would like opinions. Example is I've read that African Americans are treated very nice then I've read that there is a lot of harassmet and pointing ect. Does where you go determine how you're treated? I would understand the odd looks after all I am in their country. I read you're usually ok if you tell them you're from the US but given history I'm not too sure about that. Any reviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 10:42 PM

418 posts, read 1,215,206 times
i myself am Japanese
There are lots of Afrrican Americans especailly in SHIBUYA HARAJUKU
the japanese are pretty cool about it
we both wanna laugh at each other and its good fun heres an example

YouTube - Gaki no Tsukai w/ Bob Sapp (1/2) eng sub
well stare at u but we dont mean any disrespect
its just because ur different.

i myself being a cat from Socal born in Japan heres what i have to say
i love u guys but to be honest i dont like all the foreigners invading my home country because I like to keep Japan "Japan" and stop it from being so westernized but other then that if ur in my country ill treat u with respect as long as u treat the country and the people with respect
I think u will come to love Japan especially if u know how to speak it
hope that helps

Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 PM

4,657 posts, read 5,229,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
i myself am Japanese

i love u guys but to be honest i dont like all the foreigners invading my home country because I like to keep Japan "Japan" and stop it from being so westernized but other then that if ur in my country ill treat u with respect as long as u treat the country and the people with respect

hope that helps
Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about America and illegal immigration?

Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,574,290 times
Quote:
i myself am Japanese

hope that helps
I noticed the high Nigerian population in the areas you stated as well as Roppongi. They all owned a business there or worked there I was under the impression that Japan had strict immigration laws so are they legal?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM

418 posts, read 1,215,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about America and illegal immigration?
america since its not my country i really dont care... i am a hypocrite though because I am only in america for my education and dont treat it with as much love and respect as i do in japan. America is a nice place and all but its not my home so i will leave once my education is done.
Also I treat every single race with respect but when I go to "events" and all these Mexicans come push everyone out of the way jsut to get in the front I get REALLY REALLY PISSED....its like dammn ur immigrating here and treat people with this kind of respect????? then i start to change my mind on them.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 PM

576 posts, read 1,225,158 times
I'd imagine same as any other outside race. They'd look just as different as any other outsiders to people who are well over 99% the same race. Anyone not from Japan seems to be from a magical place called Gaikoku. Apparently I look Japanese enough that it's not obvious I'm a foreigner unless they see a passport or I stall while speaking Japanese.

The only place I have seen African Americans in person while I have been in Japan was on a train.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM

4,125 posts, read 6,490,931 times
Default Silent Racism

The unattractive truth here is that racism is silent in Japan, but very much alive, no matter how polite the Japanese are about it, or how it is spun.

What I say may be a surprise to many of you, but therein lies the problem. As the old saying goes "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.".

Anyone knowing Japan's history will know what I am talking about, if not, try Google. Try 'Japan Nanking' for starters. I also have family living there, and friends who've visited Tokyo, so I know more than just Google.

Maybe the hip MTV crowd thinks it's cool to mingle with foreigners, but the older population is a different story, and you would not know it due to their customs. The younger crowd has this weird obsesion with the West, the US in particular, but when it comes to their shores, they have the attitude of 'Oh no, not in my backyard!'. The country is very protectionist. Go figure.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-14-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM

6,745 posts, read 5,163,052 times
Quote:
Also I treat every single race with respect but when I go to "events" and all these Mexicans come push everyone out of the way jsut to get in the front I get REALLY REALLY PISSED....its like dammn ur immigrating here and treat people with this kind of respect????? then i start to change my mind on them.
Really I find Mexicans to be some of the most polite, respectful, and hard working people in the US.

Sorry for getting of topic...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM

4,125 posts, read 6,490,931 times
Quote:
When I first started backpacking through Europe in the 90s, I thought Europeans were the same, rude and did not respect the queue. I would be waiting, and all the locals just go to the front, ignore me. This happened everywhere, except the UK and Scandinavian countries.

Fast forward a few years, I meet, and later marry my wife who's from Barcelona, then I was clued into their culture. It's not that they were being rude, rather most locals just go to the counter, yell out what they want, get it and leave. There is no mal intent on their part, that's just the way it's done there.

Mexico is the same way, most of the people do not wait in queues, they just go and ask for what they want. It's usually the more "western", English speaking countries who respect the queue.

My suggestion is to simply tell them there is a queue, and if they don't understand English, just point. If that fails, just say 'No', all cultures understand that word. No sense in getting pissed for something so trivial when you have all the power, and the right to prevent in the first place.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:48 PM

49 posts, read 276,903 times
Hi, RonMaverick804:

I'm a black American and I spent a semester in Japan while studying at uni. It was a fantastic experience - I almost didn't come home! The people I met were some of the most kind, helpful and generous I've met in all my travels, and Japan is by far the safest country I've ever been.

I taught a couple of English classes (one for adults and one for elementary/jr. high kids) and only had a couple of moms who thought I was 'scary' at first but then fine once they got to know me (just their own ignorance of portrayed stereotypes). My funniest encounter was at an elementary school where kids were fascinated by my skin colour and just wanted to touch me and ask questions like, why I looked different from them and whether or not I liked Japanese manga - it was really cute, actually. I was their human jungle gym that afternoon.

My brother lived and worked in Japan for 6 years (in Fukuoka and later Beppu) and was very popular with the locals - everyone loved him, especially the kids.

I also think you will gain much respect if you attempt the language. The locals are always impressed with foreigners who try to learn the language as they feel it is so unique to them that outsiders are pretty much incapable of learning it.

There are a number of foreigners in Japan - especially in the bigger cities like Osaka and Tokyo. If you stay near those places, chances are you won't be stared at much, but if you travel out into the 'inaka' or country, you probably will be stared at. It's not really out of rudeness or hatred, but just curiosity.

Anyway, hope this gives you some insight - I can't say my experience will be the same as that of other black Americans, as everyone's is different. But if you travel to Japan, I hope your experience will be as good as mine was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia