U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,781,703 times

Advertisements

tokyo is hyped up to much. Its just like any other city in the world. Two things I hate about Japan
1. impossible to find a trash can
2. cash only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,200,407 times
Japan is nice. I've visited Tokyo for prolonged periods, but I don't think I'd do well living there.

Very clean, one of the best public transit systems in the world, has both very cheap & very expensive food (rice balls/yoshinoya/7-11 type meals for a couple of bucks on the low end to haute cuisine on the other end of the spectrum), very low crime, etc.

I'd agree with the previous poster that Japan is very unlike the rest of Asia. The only 2 countries that I've found are even somewhat similiar are Taiwan and South Korea. I believe this is largely due to their previous colonization by Japan.

For anyone who is really interested in Japan, I'd reccomend you see "Lost in Translation." Really good film that takes place in Japan, and spoofs a lot of the Japanese "quirks" if you want to call them that.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 AM

3,666 posts, read 8,837,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
tokyo is hyped up to much. Its just like any other city in the world. Two things I hate about Japan
1. impossible to find a trash can
2. cash only
1. Trash cans can be found near vending machines as well as recycling bins for cans and bottles, also in public bathrooms.
2. Not all places are cash only. Most of the modern and popular places take credit cards. It is more of the traditional places that are cash only. Some places you can use your cell phone and charge it to your account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
For anyone who is really interested in Japan, I'd reccomend you see "Lost in Translation." Really good film that takes place in Japan, and spoofs a lot of the Japanese "quirks" if you want to call them that.
Yes, Lost in Translation is good because it is a realistic and un-Hollywood-ized look at Japan and it's culture, especially in the Tokyo area.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 AM

49 posts, read 190,892 times
i soooo wanna visit japan...that's one of the countries on my 'must to go' list....then korea too! hehehe

i just love to see the cultures and their traditions....

how do you like it there? the food? and other stuff?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,498,455 times
Please, tell me about Japan.
I'm very curious.
I'm leaving to Japan in a few days for 3 weeks.

What do you recommend me?

many thanks!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 AM

51,868 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
haha yes, the same Japan that has "female only" cars to prevent women from being fondled. The same Japan with the out of control sex fetishes and love hotels.

And I don't really consider Japanese racist, so much as ignorant. When I lived there, people would come up to me because they had never seen a caucasian/blonde before and were curious. I had little kids point at me and laugh! They just have such a homogenous society, that they are unsure of their non-Japanese counterparts. However, they can be a bit....pretentious?? I'm not sure what word I am looking for. While many Japanese are obsessed with American culture, many others simply look down upon us as fat and rude....stereotypical. But historically, they prided themselves on being the strongest and simply the best nation in the world. This notion of national pride lives on strong today and is instilled upon the Japanese youth.

Regardless, I absolutely LOVE Japan and cannot wait to go back for a visit ASAP!
Yeah, they are an unbelievably racist society. They look down on everybody, just some more than others.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,245,588 times
I have a friend from Japan with a house in Osaka and Tokyo. I would also like to visit his country. I've also been told they are quite racist people. It's understandable from historical events that they would be wary towards Americans which unfortunately also affect their behaviour towards other white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, they are an unbelievably racist society. They look down on everybody, just some more than others.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM

51,868 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I have a friend from Japan with a house in Osaka and Tokyo. I would also like to visit his country. I've also been told they are quite racist people. It's understandable from historical events that they would be wary towards Americans which unfortunately also affect their behaviour towards other white people.
Um, actually they don't mind white people nearly as much as they do blacks, fillipinos, Indians etc.

It really doesn't have anything to do with recent history, it's just the by-product of living in a homogenous society as well as a nationalistic fervor that is linked to their ethnic identity.

Ironically, Japan has a VASTLY better relationship with the US than it does most of the other countries around it. (I have a chinese friend that *hates* Japan and I know some Koreans that aren't so hot about it either)

Seriously, the Japanese are wary of America based upon historical events? Well, imagine how the Chinese must feel about Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia