Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:05 AM

18 posts, read 73,511 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I just visited Japan last week, my first time, and I'm really shock, I liked a lot. Totally another kind of culture-education everywhere, very caring about all others.

for example, in the subway, no one answers their phone, so they don't disturb other people.

Tokio, amazing and VERY clean. You don't hear people yielling.

Totally great for me.

Have you visited Japan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I am glad you had a good trip!
Never been there, but I would really like to visit it some day.
I don't know if I will ever get to do it, though. I have family in Europe and feel the need to see them instead of going to Asia.
Maybe some day...

Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,337,482 times
I'm jealous I've always wanted to visit Japan.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:19 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,221 times
Mrs tonrob and I were there for a couple of weeks about 6 years ago. Fascinating place - so unlike the rest of Asia. Would love to go again. Maybe for the Sapporo Ice Festival...

Old 07-12-2008, 09:14 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,686 times
I had the worst case of culture shock when I returned from studying abroad in Japan. I found myself apologizing for everything and being extremely considerate of those around me- to the point where I was insulted by everyone else's inconsideration! After a few weeks I returned to my normal self....

I miss it!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM

18 posts, read 73,511 times
Mar0, you're right. My wife meet a Japanese who was explaining these HUGE differences about culture, like look for all other around.

I don't know if any of you have heard about "Spiral Dynamics" theory, well it would explain it very good. Japan has achieved a very mature state on its society.

Something many of us would like in our cities.

Regards,

Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,030,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I had the worst case of culture shock when I returned from studying abroad in Japan. I found myself apologizing for everything and being extremely considerate of those around me- to the point where I was insulted by everyone else's inconsideration! After a few weeks I returned to my normal self....

I miss it!!!
I know what you mean. In the states, you become a pushover if you're too polite and considerate, especially in California. I know, because I'm that way myself, maybe that's the Japanese side of me. Thank God I live here now, and I feel like I fit in better, despite being half-American (I still am considered a gaijin to them).

Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Err, is this the same Japan where they cram onto the subway cars and people complain about the guys that fondle the gals on the cars and read X-rate magazines openly?

Perhaps this is sensationalized but I'd heard it wasn't totally uncommon.

Definitely spot-on about the public politeness thing though.
On the down-side they are perhaps the biggest racists on the planet.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,271 times
I have visited and lived in various parts of Europe, Africa, the Caribbean, North and South America but never been to Japan. I've started to become intrigued in the last year or so, but have Australia and Hong Kong on my to do list first.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Err, is this the same Japan where they cram onto the subway cars and people complain about the guys that fondle the gals on the cars and read X-rate magazines openly?

Perhaps this is sensationalized but I'd heard it wasn't totally uncommon.

Definitely spot-on about the public politeness thing though.
On the down-side they are perhaps the biggest racists on the planet.
haha yes, the same Japan that has "female only" cars to prevent women from being fondled. The same Japan with the out of control sex fetishes and love hotels.

And I don't really consider Japanese racist, so much as ignorant. When I lived there, people would come up to me because they had never seen a caucasian/blonde before and were curious. I had little kids point at me and laugh! They just have such a homogenous society, that they are unsure of their non-Japanese counterparts. However, they can be a bit....pretentious?? I'm not sure what word I am looking for. While many Japanese are obsessed with American culture, many others simply look down upon us as fat and rude....stereotypical. But historically, they prided themselves on being the strongest and simply the best nation in the world. This notion of national pride lives on strong today and is instilled upon the Japanese youth.

Regardless, I absolutely LOVE Japan and cannot wait to go back for a visit ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia