U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 07:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,388,754 times

Advertisements

I have seen South Asians w/ light skin, and ones with darker skin

Is there one South Asian race, or is india made up of different races
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 PM

740 posts, read 1,842,711 times
India is made up of hundreds of dialect groups and castes. I don't think it's a race thing, but it's complicated (so I've heard).

Old 07-13-2008, 03:25 AM

167 posts, read 457,884 times
The term "race" itself isn't recognized by most natural sciences, and only social sciences as a social construct. As such, you might ask some people of India, and they might say yes, they are made up of different "races," but an objective outsider anthropologist might say no, they are one "race." Sociopolitics are of course involved. It's just very complicated.

It really isn't a phenomenon unto the Indians, though. Latin Americans range from very light to very dark. As do Asians. There are variations of colour even within Africans and Caucasians, just less ranged.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,388,754 times
^^^

Well in Latin america there are different races

Asia also has different races as there are many different countries

I guess what I mean is ethnicities not "race"

Because before the british raj, south asia was many little countries

Old 07-14-2008, 03:59 AM

281 posts, read 1,202,895 times
In addition to the above the skin color is also seen as a differentiation between the "upper class" and "working class" (don't know the correct terminology) in many asian countries, independent of race/ origin.... i.e. members of the upper class do not work in the hot sun.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 PM

5,705 posts, read 8,609,914 times
originally India was populated with the out-migration from Africa, these people settled in the south. Now, through the ages there has been a lot of outside influence and inter-marriage. Spanish and Portuguese missionaries frequently visited south India. In the north there was a lot of Persian influx and in a few states bordering the Himalayas a lot of influence from neighboring China so many of these Indians look Chinese.

I think in the US, most people have only 1 image of how Indians look, i.e. the stereotypical original south indian with dark skin and african roots. The reality is that there are all sorts of mixes and you will not realize that they are Indian.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM

202 posts, read 968,793 times
All countries were populated by out-migration from Africa, well that's how the theory goes. Mtdna can show a glimmer of their origin.
"Indian mtDNA lineages belong to either Asian-specific haplogroup M or western Eurasian-specific haplogroups H, I, J, K, U, W and others that were not established anywhere (Kivisild et al 1999)."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or