U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 AM

7 posts, read 12,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is very sad because I have planned on traveling to China for years(ever since I was about 9 or 10) and now I am beginning to rethink that.

Maybe you should insist your decision ,you never gone to China konw nothing about that country and you should not evaluate anything by somewords that may not be ture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 13,170 times
I am a outer Mongolian and I don't steal. My father got his $ 1000 stolen in the center of Beijing 15 years ago, and that was a lot of money then. Mongolians are mostly herders, lived in small community and they are very naive and too nice. Chinese had been trying to supress our poor folks for hundreds of years. I would not take the word of Chinese on Mongolians.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 AM

14,338 posts, read 20,592,632 times
Just coming back from Beijing, I can tell you in fact that they are a very prejudice country and not PC at all. It was in fact quite shocking. The people we talked to did not pull any punches on their feeling of different races, classes or cultures.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM

213 posts, read 539,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just coming back from Beijing, I can tell you in fact that they are a very prejudice country and not PC at all. It was in fact quite shocking. The people we talked to did not pull any punches on their feeling of different races, classes or cultures.
I've had a completely different experience in China and I've been to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Urumqi, Beijing, etc.

Being a black american, I did not experience any forms of racism over the many months I've been there in any of those cities.

Yes I agree with you that China is not Politically Correct at all, but I personally found that to be a total breath of fresh air.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM

230 posts, read 490,297 times
not sure of the mongolians part, but by "blacks" they mean criminals. in chinese (cantonese/mandarin), it denotes criminal underground (triad, etc). a case of loss in translation perhaps? just like in the west, authorities use the term "black market" for certain goods/services. they do not mean a market for blacks.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM

213 posts, read 539,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
not sure of the mongolians part, but by "blacks" they mean criminals. in chinese (cantonese/mandarin), it denotes criminal underground (triad, etc). a case of loss in translation perhaps? just like in the west, authorities use the term "black market" for certain goods/services. they do not mean a market for blacks.
That is what I figured it meant. I have heard the term before when referring to criminals during my time there.

As I've said, I've been to China many times and many of its cities and I experienced no racism whatsoever.

It's just another example of extremely poor journalism in today's media age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or